Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bug rear vent damage - can this be fixed?
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ken63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject: Bug rear vent damage - can this be fixed? Reply with quote

My 1963 bug caught fire last week Sad Unfortunately, I wasn't prepared with a fire extinguisher. When the firefighters were putting out the fire they had to get my decklid to stay open (it doesn't have a spring because the decklid is broken at the mount point). they pried the shit out of it and bent the rusted louver section. Obviously it was already pretty rusted. Just wondering if anyone can tell me if this is salvageable. I don't do bodywork, but just want some opinions about what it would take to fix it, if possible. I would prefer to save it, if possible.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Bug rear vent damage - can this be fixed? Reply with quote

ken63 wrote:
My 1963 bug caught fire last week Sad

That SUCKS . . . BIG TIME!!!!!

I have seen people remove those louvers for painting . . . like for show cars and restorations.
There's spot welds along the top and bottom of the panel . . . the bottom spots are broke free already and guessing the top welds might be visible now.

I'd say careful remove the panel and replace with a donor "louver panel".
vwtrey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Bug rear vent damage - can this be fixed? Reply with quote

I'm sure the car holds lots of sentimental value. If it was mine, I'd be thinking the same thing.

However, this got hot. Heat changes the metal, weakens it, introduces impurities, and so on. The best thing to do is replace the metal.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Bug rear vent damage - can this be fixed? Reply with quote

People have swapped out that section to backdate cars for years. Dont see any reason why you can't
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ken63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Bug rear vent damage - can this be fixed? Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it. Not sure what I'm going to do yet, but probably will try to get some pricing and go from there.

Thanks again!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:12 am    Post subject: Re: Bug rear vent damage - can this be fixed? Reply with quote

You can kind of see what's going on with that panel in these photos.. Not for sensitive eyes..

Looks like your louvered panel was rusted at the spot welds that secure it to the firewall. Check your package tray and firewall and see how bad the rust is before you repair the prying damage. It should be a relatively easy job. Now is a great opportunity to get in behind the engine vents with paint!
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ken63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Bug rear vent damage - can this be fixed? Reply with quote

Thanks, Robert, for sharing those pictures. Super helpful in understanding that area better!! Yes, there was already a lot of rust in that area Sad
thekera
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:33 am    Post subject: Re: Bug rear vent damage - can this be fixed? Reply with quote

ken63, page 10 of my thread, might help. Thats a bummer.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...;start=180
1966 Type 1
1979 Mk1 early westy 2dr
2013 Mk6 2dr

ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING VW METAL FAB.
NOS PANELS: WANTED

GOT RUST?
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Bug rear vent damage - can this be fixed? Reply with quote

just an idea but i have seen a few folks on here post their, "burn victims" as running complete vehlicles. i think they fixed any structual damage, disasembled the car, replaced any shot items( wiring, etc), then clear coated everything. i dont know how bad your bug has been burnt but that sheet metal may be warped to much. On top of all that, i just want to say... that must suck big time, and im sorry for you and your beetle. i know it must be painful for you both.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
TXHCBeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Bug rear vent damage - can this be fixed? Reply with quote

I need to replace that louver panel as well, but for a different reason. One of the previous owners cut out the middle two rows of louvers for better heat dissipation or some other bonehead reason. Do aftermarket louver panels exist?
bomberbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Bug rear vent damage - can this be fixed? Reply with quote

Can I ask a kinda off topic question? I think I see air filters for dual kadrons down in there. Do you know the cause of the fire? So it doesn't happen again?
Marion, Iowa
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Bug rear vent damage - can this be fixed? Reply with quote

I think you should find a donor rear clip that still has original paint on it. Strip it down. Drill out the spot welds and remove what you need to use.

Here is the issue you will eventually run into. And it was already stated here. Heat changes the steel. It does so at a molecular level. The metal becomes brittle. Not the type of thing you want for a car if you ever are in an accident.

Do some research and find out for yourself, but most of the time, a burned car is a dead car. Just being real with you.

Good luck!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
ken63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Bug rear vent damage - can this be fixed? Reply with quote

Regarding cause, I suspect, but can't be sure that the fuel line degraded and leaked in the engine compartment. I didn't have a filter in the compartment, but the lines were not replaced in a while.

I decided to slowly work on the issue and see if I could figure out how to fix it. That area is really tricky. Especially where you have three/four sections coming together. I was able to get a donor piece and learned about drilling out spot welds and was able to deconstruct it into the outside vent, inside louvers, back rear window sill (didn't have the luggage/firewall area). I have even bought a welder and have been practicing.

I have the area mostly deconstructed. Since the drip channel is also questionable, I recently picked up another donor piece that includes the drip channel. More deconstruction of that coming and hopefully will be able to start fitting/welding. Again it has been a very slowwwwww process. Lots of searching and watching youtube videos, studying the area on the donor piece, learning how to weld. Took a long time to even decide to buy a welder. I'm committed now, but timing is still in question. Definitely not for the faint hearted.

I'll try to post some pictures for those that might want to see how that area goes together.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: