Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1950/51 Split Question
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
58Sleeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:46 am    Post subject: 1950/51 Split Question Reply with quote

Hello,

I am thinking about buying a 1950 split window. It has been in an accident, but I think it is fixable. The owner says it has a 1951 registration. New York doesn't give a title for cars older than 25 years. They will give you a transferable registration only.

But here is my question. The chassis, the engine, and the body all have July/August codes on them, but the owner says the registration is based on the engine. When I checked, the engine code is also 1950. What does this mean? Do anyone have a 1950 with at 51 registration or title?
René R.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: 1950/51 Split Question Reply with quote

Twenty-odd years ago I bought a 1950 out of Connecticut, which didn't issue titles back then. For whatever unknown reason, the paperwork for it indicated it was a 1949. I was definitely a '50, as verified by chassis number and later VW authentication. I was able to get it titled in California (after posting a bond to protect the state if it should turn out it had been stolen) but they wouldn't change the year. So it was registered and titled as a '49. I paid no attention to that in my day to day ownership. As soon as I got my YOM plates approved I swapped out the '49 corner tag for a '50.

Bottom line, mistakes happen over the years. It's worth trying to set the record straight but you'll probably find it a challenge.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: 1950/51 Split Question Reply with quote

I assume you mean the chassis and engine #s are July/August, 1950?
Yes, this would be a 1950 model.

Registered by the engine # is not an uncommon thing from back in the day, I've seen other cars registered the same way.

Is it possible it was brought into the USA in 1951 and was registered as a 1951 vehicle at that time?
I've seen that happen as well and had it corrected.

I'm not familiar with New York but the member VDubTech works for the NY DMV so maybe he can give you some advice:
His profile page if you want to PM him
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
58Sleeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1950/51 Split Question Reply with quote

Thanks to both of you for your responses and Everett for the contact information. This has been troubling me, as it seems like a good deal and I don't want it to pass if this was a mistake done long ago that can be corrected. I'll update you guys on my findings. Smile

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!
cory464
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1950/51 Split Question Reply with quote

as long as the numbers match you will have no issues. the date put on registrations was often based on the date the car was put in service. it can be corrected if you want, but i would be comfortable that the seller is not trying to be shady.
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1950/51 Split Question Reply with quote

Is the engine still with the car?

if it is, i think its a no brainer if you like the car you should get it. if the engine isn't with the car I've had luck licensing cars in my state when they were titled by an engine that is now missing...but it took more leg work and could be more difficult for you. Whether the engine is present or not, i would definitely title it with the chassis number once you get the car. I personally have had this issue more than once and have been able resolve it in every case.
58Sleeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1950/51 Split Question Reply with quote

Mr. OGPaint wrote:
Is the engine still with the car?

if it is, i think its a no brainer if you like the car you should get it. if the engine isn't with the car I've had luck licensing cars in my state when they were titled by an engine that is now missing...but it took more leg work and could be more difficult for you. Whether the engine is present or not, i would definitely title it with the chassis number once you get the car. I personally have had this issue more than once and have been able resolve it in every case.

Yes, the engine is in the car, but the accident the car was in was from the rear. The pulley of the engine is completely bent. I'm not sure what effect it had on the crank inside the case. If I have to replace the engine, where would that leave me? Maybe the saddles of the case are completely destroyed by a crankshaft shift.

It is comforting that you resolved these issues in the past. NY is not a place you can register a car without a title or registration (25 years or older).
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1950/51 Split Question Reply with quote

Well, the point I was making is that by having the engine present it verifies the provenance of the title being for the car you have. Personally, I’ve been able to use that to generate a state title with the chassis number once I combined it with the engine/chassis number information provided in the technical archive of thesamba. I write a letter explaining that the number of digits on the title verified that the car was once tiitled by engine, then we cross reference dates on the chart to show that the chassis number is within the acceptable production window. Then I take that all to dmv and try to find someone who will listen, and I politely don’t accept no for an answer until someone with the juice to change the number on the title does. So far, I’ve had very good luck.

If the current plates of the car are also listed on the title, that further helps prove the provenance of the title matching the car in question
58Sleeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: 1950/51 Split Question Reply with quote

Mr. OGPaint wrote:
Well, the point I was making is that by having the engine present it verifies the provenance of the title being for the car you have. Personally, I’ve been able to use that to generate a state title with the chassis number once I combined it with the engine/chassis number information provided in the technical archive of thesamba. I write a letter explaining that the number of digits on the title verified that the car was once tiitled by engine, then we cross reference dates on the chart to show that the chassis number is within the acceptable production window. Then I take that all to dmv and try to find someone who will listen, and I politely don’t accept no for an answer until someone with the juice to change the number on the title does. So far, I’ve had very good luck.

If the current plates of the car are also listed on the title, that further helps prove the provenance of the title matching the car in question

Nice. I will try the same. Thank you for the information.
Robert Chambers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: 1950/51 Split Question Reply with quote

My 1956 Euro Deluxe Beetle was imported into the US in 1961 and titled in Penn. At that time it was titled as a 1961. When I bought it from the original owner he said it has always been that way. I ordered the Birth Certificate from Germany. That matched the VIN numbers plate and pan. With the Birth Certificate, an old registration and a pencil tracing of the VIN I was able to get it titled as a 1956 in NJ. I had another problem with a 1955 title missing one of the digits on the title. I was able to get the title corrected with pictures and a pencil tracing. So my point is, YES there are plenty of mistakes out there for various reasons. Good luck with your 1950 Beetle. In my opinion it is definitely worth the effort.
'63 OG 117
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: 1950/51 Split Question Reply with quote

If you have the engine number, include that information with your VIN and the rest when you apply for a birth certificate and ask them to confirm it is the original engine for the car.

That will confirm the originality and associate the VIN, Body and engine together.

Then If you are really wanting to title the vehicle off of the VIN perhaps taking all that documentation to your local DMV will support your argument for a change.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1950/51 Split Question Reply with quote

nlorntson wrote:
If you have the engine number, include that information with your VIN and the rest when you apply for a birth certificate and ask them to confirm it is the original engine for the car.

That will confirm the originality and associate the VIN, Body and engine together.

Great point Nancy.
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1950/51 Split Question Reply with quote

... I once bought a 1950 11G in NJ with a NJ title stating it was a 1952... I wrote a letter to VW in Germany advising the VIN and they confirmed it as being a 1950... I showed the letter to the NJ DMV and they changed the title to 1950.
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: