Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What's wrong with this picture?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:23 pm    Post subject: What's wrong with this picture? Reply with quote

Looking at the following pictures of a just rebuilt 1971 Bus transmission, what do you see that's wrong?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: What's wrong with this picture? Reply with quote

I'll play. The face of the housing where the starter goes is painted. The starter needs that to be clean metal for grounding purposes. (If I'm wrong then I read somewhere something wildly inaccurate, and I was dumb enough to believe it)
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: What's wrong with this picture? Reply with quote

Then why is it that Eric at Transworks says out of 900 transmissions he’s done he’s only had like two complaints? He always paints the starter pad.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: What's wrong with this picture? Reply with quote

They misspelled your name on the toe tag Laughing but I’m with Spike. Was all that paint necessary? Seems like no paint at all would be better Think or is that powdercoat?

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: What's wrong with this picture? Reply with quote

I dunno, I always hit the starter pad and starter face with a wire brush or sand paper to get to fresh unoxidized contact...

though I also often add a Gnd cable from the starter bolt to the chassis.

I really hate starter issues

I'm starting to solder on a pigtail to the Key/start spade as I've had a few of them loosen up on me and pop off.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: What's wrong with this picture? Reply with quote

Eric thinks the starter gets it ground well enough through the mounting stud. He says that an unpainted starter face that’s magnesium will soon corrode anyhow.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: What's wrong with this picture? Reply with quote

Well the most obvious is that the entire transaxle is painted black. Believe it came from the factory unpainted in just raw metal. That is how I am restoring my ‘67. Want the stock look.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What's wrong with this picture? Reply with quote

Quote:
Eric thinks the starter gets it ground well enough through the mounting stud.

I am with Eric on that as long as the engine is clean where the D head bolt nut goes on, and the ground strap has a good connection to the nut holding it on too.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What's wrong with this picture? Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Quote:
Eric thinks the starter gets it ground well enough through the mounting stud.

I am with Eric on that as long as the engine is clean where the D head bolt nut goes on, and the ground strap has a good connection to the nut holding it on too.

Dang it Steve, I thought you’d solve Gary’s puzzle for all of us.

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What's wrong with this picture? Reply with quote

The bolt hole or stud hole and threads are wallowed? Because I can't see daylight I'll guess that a stud should be in that hole?

Aloha
tp
crownline
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: What's wrong with this picture? Reply with quote

They forgot to paint the cv flanges. Or is it the 1970s vinyl floor. Laughing

"It"s got some dings and dents and neither of us is going to SEMA."(Update, I went to SEMA in 2019 but the Bus stayed home)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-8446.png]Click to view image[/URL]
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: What's wrong with this picture? Reply with quote

It’s not your trans! They sent you something completely different Laughing Think

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
lil-jinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: What's wrong with this picture? Reply with quote

There are no mount ears and it looks like it has a extra mount hole at the starter
1968 Dune Buggy
1974 parts bus
A smart man learns from his mistakes,a very smart man learns from other's mistakes.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: What's wrong with this picture? Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
Then why is it that Eric at Transworks says out of 900 transmissions he’s done he’s only had like two complaints? He always paints the starter pad.

because that was from the 2 fools that didn't clean the bell-to-engine mount and the starter pad

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What's wrong with this picture? Reply with quote

I've got it - the bus and engine are missing.........

photobucket worked to show the photos?
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: What's wrong with this picture? Reply with quote

Well I just spent 45 minutes trying to prove that the pad needs to be clean and unpainted. I measured resistance through the starter both ways with uncertain results.

For me, I makes sence to have the best bond possible but here I am with hat in hand unable to prove it.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What's wrong with this picture? Reply with quote

Just makes sense to me that since the starter needs lots of current, you should have as much conductive surface area on the ground side as possible. He should mask that area before painting it. He may know trannies, but he doesn't know electricity. Bet I can guess what Telford would say.....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What's wrong with this picture? Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
Well I just spent 45 minutes trying to prove that the pad needs to be clean and unpainted. I measured resistance through the starter both ways with uncertain results.

For me, I makes sence to have the best bond possible but here I am with hat in hand unable to prove it.

Starter motors can pull up to 300 amps during operation, so it's not like a standard multimeter can mimic that kind of current draw. I think the electrons need a safe and easy way in, and a clean base flange certainly helps that.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: What's wrong with this picture? Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:

I'm guessing the nice clean stud serves as a decent ground for the first 5 years.
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:57 pm    Post subject: Re: What's wrong with this picture? Reply with quote

Starter System Quiz

1 - Does a starter need a lot of current? Yes.
2 - Does resistance vary inversely with contact area? Yes.
3 - Do VW starters need the best connections possible to work right, every time? Yes.
4 - Is paint normally an insulator? Yes.
5 - Did the factory paint the starter pad? No.
6 - Did the factory know what they were doing? Yes (generally - see notes below).

So - quiz: should you (a) paint your starter pad, or (b) scrape it and the starter flange as clean as possible? (five points for the correct answer)

Ans: ______

Notes: Q6 is answered 'generally', because if they got it perfect the first time, there would be no need for changes from one model year to the next.
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: