Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Any diy threads on replacing a rear corner ?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dkwautounion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject: Any diy threads on replacing a rear corner ? Reply with quote

I have a badly dented rear corner that needs to be replaced. I've searched for weeks on the bay and split forums and can't find anything. Does anyone have some pictures or tips to help me?
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Any diy threads on replacing a rear corner ? Reply with quote

I'm listening for the answer too. But mine also involves replacing the battery tray.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lil-jinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Any diy threads on replacing a rear corner ? Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6284172#6284172
There is some very good info here,lots of tips throughout the thread.
The link below leads to my rust repair.
1968 Dune Buggy
1974 parts bus
A smart man learns from his mistakes,a very smart man learns from other's mistakes.
Dkwautounion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Any diy threads on replacing a rear corner ? Reply with quote

Thanks. I'm really looking to replace the entire corner from at least the belt line down . From the seam at the side panel to the engine compartment .
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Any diy threads on replacing a rear corner ? Reply with quote

This is a bit like asking for a DIY for a heart valve procedure. There is a whole skill set to metalwork, welding, and bodywork that doesn't go into text well
kevin77westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Any diy threads on replacing a rear corner ? Reply with quote

Yep - its the sort of question that if you have to ask then its probably out of your DIY zone. I had mine done many years back. I too thought I needed all new metal on that corner and most body shops wanted to do just what you mention - all the way from the seam to the engine bay below the beltline because they sucked and did not know how to work metal. Luckily I found an old school body guy that was able to pull that corner out and massage it back into shape with very, very little filler. I saw his work before paint and it was absolutely incredible what he was able to do without cutting and welding. Point is - don't assume you know what needs to be done to fix this just yet. Most would keep as much old metal as possible. Pics of said corner would help folks at least know what you are looking at.
Dkwautounion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Any diy threads on replacing a rear corner ? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
This is a bit like asking for a DIY for a heart valve procedure. There is a whole skill set to metalwork, welding, and bodywork that doesn't go into text well

Well I am a welder for a living. I'm looking to just replace the corner and not really looking into banging out the dent or working the metal to much. It's a bad dent. And I thought this forum was for asking tips and tricks and such. I didn't know I had to put my resume out there first.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Any diy threads on replacing a rear corner ? Reply with quote

It's the best forum on the Internet for parts sourcing, understanding function, compatibility and such.

We assume a low skill level here as many are beginners.

Welding skills are half of the equation, working the shapes if the complex back corner is the other half.

I've seen several build threads on this but it is a tough topic to search, agreed.
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Any diy threads on replacing a rear corner ? Reply with quote

From the short time i have been a frequenter of the bay forums i can’t say I’ve seen anyone replace the full corner. Typically the panel runs a few hundred if available, the ones I’ve seen advertised are said to be genuine VW. You might try searching the splittie forum. They do a lot more down and dirty metalwork on a regular basis.

I don’t want to spend your money but if you replace that entire corner panel you’ll save yourself a lot of hood time. It is spotted in, and may possibly have some brazing up top.

Edit, sorry, I see you've already been looking on the split forum.
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.

Last edited by scrivyscriv on Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:25 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Any diy threads on replacing a rear corner ? Reply with quote

Dkwautounion wrote:
Thanks. I'm really looking to replace the entire corner from at least the belt line down . From the seam at the side panel to the engine compartment .

The scope of your project and the resulting input provided here would be 1000x more clear if you posted at least one pic of the damaged corner. Your desire to replace the entire corner of the body suggests that it's completely bashed in, everywhere. Unless it's rotted with rust, that may not be necessary. One can reverse a lot of metal distortion with a porto-power, a stud gun, and some come-alongs.
lil-jinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Any diy threads on replacing a rear corner ? Reply with quote

there are a few pictures here that that may help.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8410611#8410611e
1968 Dune Buggy
1974 parts bus
A smart man learns from his mistakes,a very smart man learns from other's mistakes.
Dkwautounion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Any diy threads on replacing a rear corner ? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

How bad is it ? What Do you guys recommend?
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Any diy threads on replacing a rear corner ? Reply with quote

Well, for my two cents (which is about what it's worth): you don't really need a new corner, but it needs to go on a frame straightener, and be pulled back to factory specs. Even if you replace the corner, it looks like the damage is beyond just the outer corner sheet.

It may never be "right" without professional help, even though the cost will be higher than a DIY job on it. But the sheet metal actually looks salvageable.

Again, just my $0.02.
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Any diy threads on replacing a rear corner ? Reply with quote

Deleted (I linked a corner clip, but wrong year...your apron is removable).
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Any diy threads on replacing a rear corner ? Reply with quote

I don't think I've seen a reproduction Early bay full corner. The opinions of Skills or Bulliklinik would be helpful on this one. What year is it? '70, '71?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Tbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Any diy threads on replacing a rear corner ? Reply with quote

In the Hot VW's special called "All about VW Type 2's" from 2015, there was an article about Charlie Hamill(a So Cal Split Icon) replacing a corner on a 1955 Split. This special is mostly comprised of reprints of articles that appeared in the monthly Hot VW's, so it may have appeared somewhat earlier in the regular magazine. Although it's not a Bay Window, some wisdom may be gleaned from this.
But I have to agree, a true bodyman can work wonders. Seeking and finding one will be an adventure, but you are in the right part of the country to find one. Ask your true hot rod buddies, to try to find the guy to do your work. My 69 was hit about as bad in the back as the blue van, but an extreamly talented bodyman fixed it, and you literally cannot tell, both inside and outside. That was 30 years ago, in Oxnard, Ca. and it still looks great, to this day. Unfortunately, I don't have his name, if he is even alive still. Good Luck!
1985 Westfalia, stock!
1986 Westfakia, Audi I-4 conversion
A couple of trucks and a couple of Jeeps
Dkwautounion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Any diy threads on replacing a rear corner ? Reply with quote

Well I decided I'm a better welder then body man so I cut out the worst part of the Dent and some of the tray for a start. I'm thinking start small (ish) and see what I can salvage and can always go bigger if I have too. I'm a pipe welder by trade so my skill is not exactly sheet metal but I have a decent understanding of what makes a good sold weld. I'm thinking I buy the red metal bumping book and try and fix what I got and then weld in a patch and tray . Let me know if you guys think I should do otherwise.
Dkwautounion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Any diy threads on replacing a rear corner ? Reply with quote

Dkwautounion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Any diy threads on replacing a rear corner ? Reply with quote

Took more of the corner. Drilled all the spot weld . Tried my best not to go all the way through .

If anyone knows a mobile body that can work the dent on the side panel let me know.
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Any diy threads on replacing a rear corner ? Reply with quote

I would look closely at the upper part of the "D" pillar, it looks twisted in the picture. Maybe a porta-power could get some of the wheel well distortion back in place. Looks fairly rust free, that helps! Has the package shelf bent from the hit? The wheel well, shelf, and quarter all tie in together in the area of the hit. I would do some relief cuts before attempting any straightening.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: