Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

typical Vanagon theft method?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:50 am    Post subject: typical Vanagon theft method? Reply with quote

seems quite a few Vanagons are stolen... while we can hide fuel pump switches, etc. is there a predominant method of theft? towing? column switch hacking? key left on top of front tire?

i realize publically discussing theft methods can educate the vermin out there but on the other hand, it seems to be pretty common knowledge in that subgroup with all the vans being nabbed. better to discuss hardening systems than being ignorant.

-dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: typical Vanagon theft method? Reply with quote

Many Vanagon keys will work in a bunch of other Vanagons due wear and such. Also, it's incredibly easy to hotwire a Vanagon with nothing more than a paperclip.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: typical Vanagon theft method? Reply with quote

Christopher Schimke wrote:
Many Vanagon keys will work in a bunch of other Vanagons due wear and such. Also, it's incredibly easy to hotwire a Vanagon with nothing more than a paperclip.

Yep. You just need to defeat the steering lock pin, pull the ignition wiring plug and Bob's your uncle.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
DometicLover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: typical Vanagon theft method? Reply with quote

If un-engaged, the steering lock is defeated with any vanagon key installed in the lock, no need to turn the key at "on".

To start, all you need is an extra ignition switch. You remove the steering column cover, you unplugged the connector at the ignition switch, plug it in your extra ignition switch and switch it on. Voila, engine is running!

Once inside the van, you can start ANY Vanagon is less than 10sec, if there's no hidden cutoff switch.

Last edited by DometicLover on Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:27 am; edited 1 time in total
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: typical Vanagon theft method? Reply with quote

The steering lock is not released until the key is turned.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: typical Vanagon theft method? Reply with quote

Thinking this thread is a really bad idea...

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Waldemar Sikorski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: typical Vanagon theft method? Reply with quote

E1 wrote:

https://www.google.com/search?noj=1&ei=PaI6Wuj...-2Vs5_CCwQ
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: typical Vanagon theft method? Reply with quote

E1 wrote:

i know, my hesitation too. but i think very few people who are wanting to steal a van are held back by lack of knowledge. better we all know how darn easy it is and take precautions.

but if the Mods feel this is a bad idea, i no issue with the thread being deleted so it doesn't live on forever in the GoogleVerse. it still sorta will but whatever, it eventually becomes harder to find.

-dan
vegpedlr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: typical Vanagon theft method? Reply with quote

A dedicated thief will find a way.

That said, looking for the weakest points and trying to find ways to shore them up without providing a theft tutorial could be helpful. It seems the weakest points are the steering lock and ignition switch. So could discussion of steering wheel locks and kill switches be beneficial?
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: typical Vanagon theft method? Reply with quote

my Volvo 1800S had an armored cable from the ignition switch to the coil, with the nose of the coil bolted into the firewall! difficult to access to provide the 12v needed for spark.

-dan
DometicLover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: typical Vanagon theft method? Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:

You are right. If engaged you need to turn the key. If not engaged, it won't lock if a "dummy" key is inserted. It's like this on my van anyway.

I hesitated in putting such info, but people needs to know that starting their vanagon is a 10 second joke.
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: typical Vanagon theft method? Reply with quote

It's really not a big problem when compared to all vehicle thefts.

If you google "vehicle theft statistics" you can get the numbers for your area. In Portland, where is seems there is a vanagon on every block, 3 were reported stolen in 2017. There were a total of 7800 cars stolen in 2017. 78 were volkswagon models and 3 were vanagon. That's not much in the big picture. VW wasn't even in the top 10 models stolen. That was Honda, Toyota and Subaru. Vanagon was 0.0004%
vegpedlr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: typical Vanagon theft method? Reply with quote

Good point. There are probably plenty of people who wouldn't even take one for free!
calfredson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: typical Vanagon theft method? Reply with quote

Having a manual transmission will thwart 80% of thieves these days.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: typical Vanagon theft method? Reply with quote

DometicLover wrote:
?Waldo? wrote:

You are right. If engaged you need to turn the key. If not engaged, it won't lock if a "dummy" key is inserted. It's like this on my van anyway.

I hesitated in putting such info, but people needs to know that starting their vanagon is a 10 second joke.

If that is the case on your van, then your steering lock is not functioning properly. I just checked and confirmed that with a different vanagon key installed in the ignition lock, the steering wheel lock most definitely engages just fine. You might want to get yours fixed. Hopefully no one reading this thread knows where your park your van in the meantime... Razz
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: typical Vanagon theft method? Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:
It's really not a big problem when compared to all vehicle thefts.

If you google "vehicle theft statistics" you can get the numbers for your area. In Portland, where is seems there is a vanagon on every block, 3 were reported stolen in 2017. There were a total of 7800 cars stolen in 2017. 78 were volkswagon models and 3 were vanagon. That's not much in the big picture. VW wasn't even in the top 10 models stolen. That was Honda, Toyota and Subaru. Vanagon was 0.0004%

But if it's yours, it could be 100% of the stolen cars you care about. I know how risk analysis works (safer to fly than drive, etc) but with that goes lowering risk. If those three stolen Vanagons had kill switches or some other kind of theft deterrent, maybe that number would be 0. And maybe there were three others that someone attempted to steal but couldn't.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: typical Vanagon theft method? Reply with quote

I wonder how many Vanagon thieves have been burned alive when the fuel hoses let loose?
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: typical Vanagon theft method? Reply with quote

Merian wrote:
many Vanagon thieves have been burned alive

Now an actual product, thanks Merian!!!

JK

Anyway, I've fancied creating a product, loosely based on the awesome pedal lock plans seen here on other threads. My dream locker would cowl the steering column, lock the brake pedal down and the clutch (if applicable) up, and also have a integrated steering wheel clamp that would clamp down over the center to prevent horn/nut removal and turning. I am sure we could croudsource a product, but I am also sure that it would never make a profit. This would also be large and heavy... neither of which are easy to manage.

-bobby
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: typical Vanagon theft method? Reply with quote

probably time for this in the thread.... The Trunk Monkey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsmLza7kcRg

-dan
Aryana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: typical Vanagon theft method? Reply with quote

Locks exist only to keep honest people honest.

The hidden cut off switch on my Vanagon kills both fuel and spark, so it will have to be a very skilled diagnostic mechanic to drive my Vanagon off, or they will have to bring a tow truck to cart it away.

Even if they tow it away, the hidden GPS tracker will alert me the second it moves from its parking spot, and I can follow the breadcrumbs it leaves every 2 minutes to zero in on it.

Last edited by Aryana on Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: