Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

the 1963 beetle that stopped depression
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikec4193
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject: the 1963 beetle that stopped depression Reply with quote

I was on the Vintage VW Facebook page and this video popped up...not sure who has seen it but it seems very cool...the video is only like 5 minutes long...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GwtGyiiGl4

So I guess instead of prescription drugs...go buy a vintage VW...now that is cool...

the drug companies finally have some stiff competition...

MikeC
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: the 1963 beetle that stopped depression Reply with quote

I take my vintage Volkswagen to go buy prescription drugs. Never been happier Laughing

Edit: Tried watching the video. Turned it off at 1:05. Give me a fucking break Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Cali_Army_Guy on Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Just us buses
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: the 1963 beetle that stopped depression Reply with quote

Some folks have shrinks; others have their garage
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: the 1963 beetle that stopped depression Reply with quote

Didn't Herbie have a sunroof?

Poser.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: the 1963 beetle that stopped depression Reply with quote

Cali_Army_Guy wrote:

Edit: Tried watching the video. Turned it off at 1:05. Give me a fucking break Rolling Eyes

Agreed.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: the 1963 beetle that stopped depression Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
Cali_Army_Guy wrote:

Agreed.

X2. Maybe he'll finally grow a pair.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: the 1963 beetle that stopped depression Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Sharp64 wrote:
Cali_Army_Guy wrote:

Agreed.

X2. Maybe he'll finally grow a pair.

Next time I drag another car home I’ll just tell my wife I’m depressed over the election...
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
CarlosZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: the 1963 beetle that stopped depression Reply with quote

Pussy snowflake. I did like the cameo with the HK hat guy. Must of made him even more depressed about the election. Maybe he’ll move to Canada?
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: the 1963 beetle that stopped depression Reply with quote

I bet any clean 1963 Beetle gets similar reactions without the herbie stripes and numbers. Wink

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: the 1963 beetle that stopped depression Reply with quote

I actually like the story it's nice...
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.

Last edited by 67ctbug on Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: the 1963 beetle that stopped depression Reply with quote

Many times with depression or mental illness, simple things like The Election, or a new boss at work, can straw that breaks the Camel's back.
I take pill to help my brain process chemicals, you may take a pill to keep your blood thinner, cholesterol or blood pressure down.
Neither one of us is a Pussy.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HippyTom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: the 1963 beetle that stopped depression Reply with quote

My VWs, garage time, and the social time with my VW buddies are huge parts of my stress management. The Bugs keep me connected to a simpler time in life, keeping me grounded to where I came from.

My '63 L87 Pearl White Sunroof bug was my Dads car when I was growing up. My parents brought me home from the hospital in it when I was born. Several years After restoration, I turned it into Herbie for 12 years. It was cool, and people connected with it, and I did years and years of volunteer work taking Herbie to visit sick and special needs kids.

But now it's back to original and how I remembered it as a kid. And people actually look at it now for what it is and seem to appreciate it more.

If it helps him, and brings smiles to people, I get it. And I'm glad he's experiencing and spreading the love of old VWs.
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: the 1963 beetle that stopped depression Reply with quote

my stress management program:
go into shop
turn off phone
turn on music
work on bus, or beetle, or whatever is needing attention. Usually till I'm tired, and then an hour or three longer.
Shower, eat ice cream, sleep.
Repeat as needed. Better than pills or therapy
HippyTom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: the 1963 beetle that stopped depression Reply with quote

esde wrote:
my stress management program:
go into shop
turn off phone
turn on music
work on bus, or beetle, or whatever is needing attention. Usually till I'm tired, and then an hour or three longer.
Shower, eat ice cream, sleep.
Repeat as needed. Better than pills or therapy

Amen, brother!!!

I substitute sipping a couple ounces of good bourbon for the ice cream when I'm done. VW therapy is great medicine.
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: the 1963 beetle that stopped depression Reply with quote

The driver's door never looks like it's closed all the way.
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: the 1963 beetle that stopped depression Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
Cali_Army_Guy wrote:

Agreed.

Thanks for the warning! Cool

CarlosZ wrote:
Pussy snowflake. Must {have} made him even more depressed about the election. Maybe he’ll move to Canada?

Laughing

The Garaj Mahal being behind the house is the best! People need to give me a call to let me know they are either on their way or out front! Razz
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: the 1963 beetle that stopped depression Reply with quote

pyrOman wrote:
Sharp64 wrote:
Cali_Army_Guy wrote:

Agreed.

Thanks for the warning! Cool

CarlosZ wrote:
Pussy snowflake. Must {have} made him even more depressed about the election. Maybe he’ll move to Canada?

Laughing

The Garaj Mahal being behind the house is the best! People need to give me a call to let me know they are either on their way or out front! Razz

Nice little video. Depression is impossible to explain to someone that’s never had it. Rather than key in on one sentence or thought @1:05 why not consider all that is said and the spirit in which it’s given. I agree that driving and working to maintain an older car can be beneficial for mental health. I’ve taken cars that have been discarded and returned them to service and it makes me happy. Very Happy congratulations on a job well done.
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: the 1963 beetle that stopped depression Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Rather than key in on one sentence or thought @1:05 why not consider all that is said and the spirit in which it’s given. I agree that driving and working to maintain an older car can be beneficial for mental health. I’ve taken cars that have been discarded and returned them to service and it makes me happy. Very Happy congratulations on a job well done.

I appreciate what the car has done for him, but sometimes It's tough not to dwell on something that you not only disagree with, but appears to be so irrelevant to the overall theme of the piece. And instead of just a mention, which was completely unnecessary, anyway, unless he wanted to make a political statement, which is so prevalent these days from one side, he went on about it.

Why not list everything that causes his depression, which I'm sure began election night, November 2016 <insert sarcasm emoticon here>? Or do you wanna talk about your illness and how the car helps you? It's pretty obvious what that was all about.
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: the 1963 beetle that stopped depression Reply with quote

scottyrocks wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Rather than key in on one sentence or thought @1:05 why not consider all that is said and the spirit in which it’s given. I agree that driving and working to maintain an older car can be beneficial for mental health. I’ve taken cars that have been discarded and returned them to service and it makes me happy. Very Happy congratulations on a job well done.

I appreciate what the car has done for him, but sometimes It's tough not to dwell on something that you not only disagree with, but appears to be so irrelevant to the overall theme of the piece. And instead of just a mention, which was completely unnecessary, anyway, unless he wanted to make a political statement, which is so prevalent these days from one side, he went on about it.

Why not list everything that causes his depression, which I'm sure began election night, November 2016 <insert sarcasm emoticon here>? Or do you wanna talk about your illness and how the car helps you? It's pretty obvious what that was all about.

I don't believe he specified which election depressed him..........maybe it was a local school-board or mayoral contest. Confused
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: the 1963 beetle that stopped depression Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
scottyrocks wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:

I don't believe he specified which election depressed him..........maybe it was a local school-board or mayoral contest. Confused

Yeah because those are the elections the pussy snowflakes are upset about. They’re local school board elections. As Scotty said, it’s hard not to focus on something so blatantly ridiculous.

BTW, I have suffered from depression, so I’m aware of what can set it off.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: