Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Porch Pirates
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:45 pm    Post subject: Porch Pirates Reply with quote

Recently saw a news report about the rise in "porch pirate" thefts. This is where a THIEF steps onto someone's property and steals their packages off the porch after UPS/Fed Ex/DHL/whoever delivers them.

Then, I saw this. And I laughed so damn hard it hurt.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/business/wp/20...e438df1cb6

Yeah, I know, the lawyers, insurance agents, and law enforcement spokespeople will warn against it and tell you not to do it, but it is brilliant.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Porch Pirates Reply with quote

Link

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Porch Pirates Reply with quote

That's hilarious!, sadly some lawyer will nip that in the bud though.

I've been considering using old Amazon boxes for receptacles during my back yard poop scoop sessions, go ahead, enjoy your stolen prize you scumbags. Evil or Very Mad

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Porch Pirates Reply with quote

Yes, lawyers are really good at ruining things like this.

Please do fill your packages with Fido Poo. I hate thieves.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Porch Pirates Reply with quote

Porch Pirates are becoming a very serious problem and you should strongly consider that before your order anything off the Internet.

Last year there was a story of a Mon putting dirty poopie diapers in a Amazon box and leaving it on here porch. She had several neighbors in her area to do the same.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Porch Pirates Reply with quote

In law school I read case law where a home owner rigged up a shot gun to go off when someone opened the door to the bedroom. A thief broke in and was shot in the gut. The thief sued the owner. The thief won.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Porch Pirates Reply with quote

kawfee wrote:
In law school I read case law where a home owner rigged up a shot gun to go off when someone opened the door to the bedroom. A thief broke in and was shot in the gut. The thief sued the owner. The thief won.

Should of aimed it higher. Then the thief certainly would not of won.

Both UPS and FedEx won't even ring the door bell, so I tell everyone to ship USPS. I have a "understanding" with the postman, that if i'm not home he leaves it at my backdoor.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Porch Pirates Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
kawfee wrote:

Should of aimed it higher. Then the thief certainly would not of won.

Both UPS and FedEx won't even ring the door bell, so I tell everyone to ship USPS. I have a "understanding" with the postman, that if i'm not home he leaves it at my backdoor.

The family members of the thief may have still gotten the homeowner for negligence. Tort laws are the wildest. My favorite right now is Tortious interference.

That must be the law everywhere. If you shoot a theif and they live they can sue you. That's shouldn't be how it is otherwise you motivate people to shoot thieves in so they don't.

The post office is very easy to deal with compared to the commercial companies. You are lucky to live in an older subdivision. The newer ones I see being built put up central boxes. No more door-to-door service.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Porch Pirates Reply with quote

I'm tired of the "law" coddling lawbreakers. Too bad the boxes can't be rigged with live shells. Luckily I have a nice planter on my porch and most delivery folks put parcels behind it but these thieves need to be prosecuted.
Just us buses
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Porch Pirates Reply with quote

Yes. A booby trap could set you up for premeditated murder. Also, might injure some totally innocent person.
Zeen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Porch Pirates Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Then the thief certainly would not of won.

Where is hazetguy when we need him?
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Porch Pirates Reply with quote

Zeen wrote:
Glenn wrote:
Then the thief certainly would not of won.

Where is hazetguy when we need him?

He should HAVE been here by now. Wink
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Porch Pirates Reply with quote

This will absolutely get you in a shitload of legal trouble if someone gets hurt, I have seen this discussed in legal circles many times.

Quote:
Both UPS and FedEx won't even ring the door bell,

You have shitty drivers, ours knock or ring the doorbell. Same with the postperson.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Porch Pirates Reply with quote

You don't want a dead guy in your house, drag him out to the curb. I just got through installing camera's at my main doors.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Porch Pirates Reply with quote

16CV's wrote:
You don't want a dead guy in your house, drag him out to the curb. I just got through installing camera's at my main doors.

If you kill someone, I believe you want them in your house.

Home invasion/Self-defense/Stand your ground and all that
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Porch Pirates Reply with quote

As a Canada Post letter carrier I find this pretty scary. I often move packages dropped by other shippers (Amazon etc.) to accommodate the parcel I'm leaving.
We have a "safe drop" policy where we can leave a parcel in a hidden area and I will sometimes move the "other" package there in the spirit of customer service.
Luckily we're not as explosive-obsessed up here but if this type of thing started happening I would think twice about touching another package.
FWIW certain neighborhoods are known for parcel theft and we have a blanket "NO safe drop" policy for them.
We can't really win sometimes though. If we drop the parcel customers complain that it might have been stolen. If we don't drop the parcel they complain that they have to go all the way to the post office to pick it up! Brick wall

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Porch Pirates Reply with quote

Good point Dave, I didn't consider what may happen if one of the good guys encountered a booby trapped one, although if you are going past moving it and cracking it open feel free to help yourself to as much doggy exhaust as you like Wink
I'm in one of those "sketchy" neighbourhoods, my carrier will take it back to the depot and leave a card if she can't find me at home or nearby where she knows I work sometimes. I prefer to drive 10 minutes to the PO to pick it up and know it's safe (even if it's not available until the next day), much better than Fedex or UPS dumping it over the gate in plain sight to soak in the rain for hours (dog in yard sign on gate), or after a week of failed attempts leave a card that requires an hour+ to go pick up at some nearby outlet.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
Wayne S. Johnson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Porch Pirates Reply with quote

I found out who was vandalizing my mail, he tossed my VW restoration book in the spa. I told the him the police put the guilty boy in jail for 10 years. He now lives with the guilt of having caused a innocent boy to go to jail for his crime.

I made a latch inside my mail box with a solenoid to open the latch. I connect a battery to two insulated mounting bolts to open the mail box.

Last edited by Wayne S. Johnson on Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:17 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kinkerstinker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Porch Pirates Reply with quote

I recently ordered new tires for my truck online. No one was home when they were delivered and the UPS man was nice enough to move my trashcans to hide the tires between them and the garage. He then circled back around when my wife got home and offered to help her move them into the garage. There are still good people in the world.
HMVWNAB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Porch Pirates Reply with quote

How about a faux box with a dye pack like the banks do?
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: