Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New to me 1968 fastback
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rwf8ball
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:23 pm    Post subject: New to me 1968 fastback Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks Victor
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: New to me 1968 fastback Reply with quote

Nice looking Fasty you have there, Congrats. Shouldn't be too difficult to find the fender trim and bumper guards to look her best! Any pics of the inside?
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
rwf8ball
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: New to me 1968 fastback Reply with quote

thanks. I have The bumper guards for the back bumper . And I will try to get some interior pics and engine pics today at lunch.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
61 BUS Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: New to me 1968 fastback Reply with quote

That's a damn fine looking fasty you have there. Is it still fuel injected? We love pictures. How about some shots of the interior and engine?
rwf8ball
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: New to me 1968 fastback Reply with quote

61 bus yes it is still fuel injected. And I would like to see some pictures of your 66 fastback if you have any thanks.
EasternNotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: New to me 1968 fastback Reply with quote

Nice looking car congrats!

What's is status? running ? looks like 2013 sticker has it been off the road that long?
1969 Fastback
1989 Doka AFN TDI
rwf8ball
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: New to me 1968 fastback Reply with quote

Eastern Notch, The status currently is nonrunning , but the PO told me that he was having ignition problems, and transmission problems , but while he was addressing those the fuel went bad and the battery went dead , but he assured me that he was driving it before he started addressing those problems. And yes it has been off of the road since 2013
rwf8ball
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 1968 fastback Reply with quote

here are some more pictures of the engine, engine bay, interior and floor pan.
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 1968 fastback Reply with quote

That's a good looking car!
Check out the "How to get your FIFType 3 running after it's been sitting" thread :
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=624072

Don't try to run the car until you've replaced all the fuel lines.

And read the FAQ at the top of the forum. Don't throw anything away yet! Ask your questions in this thread so everything will be in one place. You can find out just about anything you need to know about your car in this forum.

You're on your way!
rwf8ball
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 1968 fastback Reply with quote

Very cool, thanks
Sqrbckguy38
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 1968 fastback Reply with quote

Very nice looking car. I second the idea of changing the fuel lines, not sure why these things don't hold up, but it's a fact of Vw life. Rolling Eyes Are you planning on keeping it Fi? I would recommend it, it's a lot more fun.
67 Beetle, Opal
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 1968 fastback Reply with quote

Rig up a water pressure gauge from Home Depot to test/adjust your fuel pressure for 28-30 lbs. There should be a plugged off test port between the 3-4 or 1-2 injectors. Check that your fuel return line on the passenger side is not plugged up. You need about 13.5-14 volts from your generator for fuel injection. Jim Adney [email protected] stocks/sells the correct rubber brake hoses etc if they get collapsed inside & mess up your braking.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rwf8ball
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 1968 fastback Reply with quote

Yes I will be keeping the FI
61 BUS Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: New to me 1968 fastback Reply with quote

rwf8ball wrote:
61 bus yes it is still fuel injected. And I would like to see some pictures of your 66 fastback if you have any thanks.

If you click on my "Gallery" link and scroll down, you'll see a few pictures of my Garnet Red Fasty. I just completed a 6-12V conversion on it.
rwf8ball
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: New to me 1968 fastback Reply with quote

OK cool I'll check it out. I just love the look of a fastbacks.
rwf8ball
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: New to me 1968 fastback Reply with quote

61 Bus, that is a very nice looking ruby red fastback you got. Is that dash pad original or is it aftermarket?
61 BUS Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: New to me 1968 fastback Reply with quote

The dash pad is a reproduction. My original was cracked in numerous places. (I did not discard it.....) The paint color is "Garnet Red". A respray by one of the previous owners, but in the original color
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 1968 fastback Reply with quote

Here's a link you might want to have a look at.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/posting.php?mode=reply&t=691564
This for replacing the Bosch pump with a new pump, as you'll probably have an issue down the road (if you don't already have one) with the stock pump.

Nice looking Fastback though. Cool That's something I was looking for about 27 years ago. Wink
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
rwf8ball
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 1968 fastback Reply with quote

Hey Bobnotch, how come you couldn't find one 27 years ago? It seems like they're hard to find and more expensive now. And thanks for the kind words. And I will look into that link you sent me thanks .
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 1968 fastback Reply with quote

rwf8ball wrote:
Hey Bobnotch, how come you couldn't find one 27 years ago? It seems like they're hard to find and more expensive now. And thanks for the kind words. And I will look into that link you sent me thanks .

Well, first you have to remember that there was no internet back then (1989). That means cars for sale were in lots, in front of peoples homes, listed in the papers (news and trader), so finding a 69 Fastback in good condition was scarce. I ended up buying a 70 Fastback instead back then. We still have it too. Very Happy
I did have a 66 Square back in 1983, and put some miles on it. I sold it when someone came along and offered me good money for it. I dropped out of the VW scene for a few years, then went looking for a 69 Fastback, and bought the 70.
Ten years later I bought my 65 Notch (with Sunroof) after selling my 70 Square I bought a year earlier, as I really wanted a Notch. I had bought the Square for my wife, but she actually preferred the Fastback. So we made a deal, she could have the Fastback, and I'd look for a Notch. Found 1 on e-bay, and was high bidder, but reserve was not met. contacted the seller, and found out my bid was 100 short of reserve, and bought the car, then had it shipped north. It was actually more rustier than I thought a Texas car should be, but nothing I couldn't handle. Wink I still have it today as well. It's more of a "resto-custom" as I built it as a driver/long distance cruiser, which it does very well. Cool
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: