Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New to me 1968 fastback
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rwf8ball
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 1968 fastback Reply with quote

Cool I'll have to send you pictures of my notchback and my squareback and the notchback I've had for 15 years.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rwf8ball
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 1968 fastback Reply with quote

Also i forgot about the internet not being around then🙁
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
61 BUS Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: New to me 1968 fastback Reply with quote

Ya, the internet made it way easier to persue the hobby.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: New to me 1968 fastback Reply with quote

61 BUS wrote:
Ya, the internet made it way easier to persue the hobby.

You betcha. It made finding NOS parts easier, along with cars and new VW friends easier too. Cool
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
rwf8ball
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 1968 fastback Reply with quote

So true you can search for parts, find parts, and pay for parts all in the comfort of your own living room.😁
rwf8ball
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 1968 fastback Reply with quote

OK so I'm trying to get this thing to start, it turns over but it will not start. Probably due to bad gas, it's been sitting for years. So here's my question should I try starting fluid to get it to start, and where would I spray it in at?
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 1968 fastback Reply with quote

rwf8ball wrote:
OK so I'm trying to get this thing to start, it turns over but it will not start. Probably due to bad gas, it's been sitting for years. So here's my question should I try starting fluid to get it to start, and where would I spray it in at?

Tram says you shouldn't use "Satan fluid" on a type 3.
I've found if you remove the elbow that connects to the IAD (Intake Air Distributor, or plenum) and give it a shot there, it should fire up for a brief second or 2. If it does, then you have a fuel issue.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
rwf8ball
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 1968 fastback Reply with quote

Bob, thanks for the reply, I did try that today at lunch and it fired up just like you said for a second or two. That's what I was needing to find out, so now I just need to drain the gas and put in a new ignition switch. Thanks again.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 1968 fastback Reply with quote

Drain your old gas through a cotton T-shirt to see what kind of crud you can filter out of it. Look to see if any water separates from the gas. I probably wouldn't reuse that gas but still good information to know more about the condition of your gas & tank. Take out the gas gauge sender & peer down with a flashlight to see whats laying in the bottom. You might need to flush crud out a few times? Use the old gas to poison weeds?
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rwf8ball
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 1968 fastback Reply with quote

Great advice thanks Mike.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 1968 fastback Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
Drain your old gas through a cotton T-shirt to see what kind of crud you can filter out of it. Look to see if any water separates from the gas. I probably wouldn't reuse that gas but still good information to know more about the condition of your gas & tank. Take out the gas gauge sender & peer down with a flashlight to see whats laying in the bottom. You might need to flush crud out a few times? Use the old gas to poison weeds?

I'd probably drain the tank, and put in fresh fuel. I've found over the years that today's gas seems to lose it's vitamins and doesn't burn very well.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
rwf8ball
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 1968 fastback Reply with quote

I do plan on draining the gas and adding fresh gas. And I'm also planning on replacing the ignition switch to 68 fastback does anyone have any ideas where I could get a good one. And thanks Bob for the reply I appreciate it.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 1968 fastback Reply with quote

rwf8ball wrote:
I do plan on draining the gas and adding fresh gas. And I'm also planning on replacing the ignition switch to 68 fastback does anyone have any ideas where I could get a good one. And thanks Bob for the reply I appreciate it.

The electrical half of the ignition switch should be the same as a 68 to 70 bug. The key side of the switch is the same as well, but won't match your doors, so keep that in mind.
If you don't already have a brown Bentley, I'd highly recommend getting one. It'll save you money and time in the long run.

Also, look thru KTPhil's 71 Ignition switch replacement thread. While some of what is there isn't quite the same as your own car, it's very similar and does apply. Sorry, I don't have a direct link to it.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
rwf8ball
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 1968 fastback Reply with quote

I do have the Bentley on order, they said two more weeks for delivery☹️. I did not know the 68-70 bug ignition was close thanks for the tip. I'll start by pulling the tank first and then after I get that done then I'll work on the ignition thanks again Bob for your your advice, much appreciated.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 1968 fastback Reply with quote

No problem. Glad to help.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
rwf8ball
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 1968 fastback Reply with quote

Ok a little update, I got it running thanks to everyone who have helped.

Question 1. It smells like it is running rich, any ideas on what to try?

Question 2. The blinkers don’t work. This is what I have
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Should I have something like this

Also I have lowered it 1 click in front and I will be raising it 1 click in the rear.

Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: New to me 1968 fastback Reply with quote

I think you need the 7 terminal relay. It'll have a bus part number (211). With it, your 4 way flashers should work too.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
stonecoldcars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: New to me 1968 fastback Reply with quote

Nice Fasty looks like lotus white like mine, but you have way more paint on yours. LOL
rwf8ball
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 1968 fastback Reply with quote

I don’t know the factory color but I do know that it had a exterior repaint, but the interior is factory. And I’ve been watching your thread very nice
rwf8ball
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: New to me 1968 fastback Reply with quote

OK so I got it running and driving and I wanted to change the stance on it so I went one spline down in the front and one spline up in the rear And this is what happened, am I screwed?

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: