Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Which Suby to buy for eventual engine swap?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:00 am    Post subject: Which Suby to buy for eventual engine swap? Reply with quote

I was in a fender bender yesterday that may just spell the end of my 94 Pathfinder. So, I'm taking stock of the local used car supply and am wondering what is the newest Subaru that has an engine that could be used for an engine swap later on down the road?

Thanks
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Which Suby to buy for eventual engine swap? Reply with quote

https://smallcar.com/the-latest-subaru-engines.html

From Small Cars website info on their kit:

The 025MTCOMP kit is to install the following engines:
All Subaru Legacy and Impreza 2.2L, 1990 to 2001
Subaru Legacy 2.5L 1996-2009 *
Impreza 2.5L normally aspirated 1998-2011 *
Forester 2.5L normally aspirated 1998-2010 *
* Note that some years/models may require a modified harness and ECM from SmallCar; see The latest Subaru engines

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Which Suby to buy for eventual engine swap? Reply with quote

Thanks Dobryan.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Which Suby to buy for eventual engine swap? Reply with quote

No problem. I had run across that chart the other day and despite my CRS I remembered it. Laughing

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Suby to buy for eventual engine swap? Reply with quote

Some older ones have rebuilt engines and if you are going to part it out for the swap you might want a beater with a newer engine.

Here is an example. This one is almost too nice to even consider parting it out, but maybe you could beat on it for a few years.

https://denver.craigslist.org/cto/d/2005-subaru-outback-new/6429512914.html
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Suby to buy for eventual engine swap? Reply with quote

Where do people get new engines from exactly? Like the outback posted above advertises new engine. How much do they run for a brand new?

I think it would be awesome to put a brand new Subaru in my vanagon.
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Suby to buy for eventual engine swap? Reply with quote

I think there might still be EJ251 and EJ253 short blocks available. I heard Subaru stopped making them but there were a lot of them still out there on the shelves and at subaru shops. They were about $2000 for the short block and people were rebuilding the heads. I almost went that way with mine, but the engine I went with only had about 100K on the short block so I decided to take a chance.
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Suby to buy for eventual engine swap? Reply with quote

New 257 still available on ebay for about 1800
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Suby to buy for eventual engine swap? Reply with quote

Don't overlook the option for a Japanese Domestic Market engine... The N/A 2.5's are around $700, here is a turbo version...

https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/ptd/d/jdmsubaru-wrx-ej205-turbo/6417647864.html

While it is true these are not "new" engines, you'd be hard pressed to find a better value. $1200 for a WRX Turbo engine?!?!

The harness would be your next hurdle, but there are plenty of junkers out there with intact harnesses.
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Suby to buy for eventual engine swap? Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
Don't overlook the option for a Japanese Domestic Market engine... The N/A 2.5's are around $700, here is a turbo version...

https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/ptd/d/jdmsubaru-wrx-ej205-turbo/6417647864.html

While it is true these are not "new" engines, you'd be hard pressed to find a better value. $1200 for a WRX Turbo engine?!?!

The harness would be your next hurdle, but there are plenty of junkers out there with intact harnesses.

As the OP, and in need of a newer daily driver, my plan would be to buy an inexpensive entire running car that I could drive for a few years then use for a swap when I moved on to something else.

I was really wondering if a Crosstrek engine could be transplanted into my van in 7 years or so.

I'm still weighing my options though. In the end, I tend to keep cars for a long time and a Legacy/Impreza probably has too much functional overlap with our Alltrack to really make sense.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Suby to buy for eventual engine swap? Reply with quote

Right, right. Sorry.. Went off the rails when thinking about the post above re. new engine...

But, maybe a WRX with an STI turbo would be fun Wink
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Suby to buy for eventual engine swap? Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
Right, right. Sorry.. Went off the rails when thinking about the post above re. new engine...

But, maybe a WRX with an STI turbo would be fun Wink

Don't tempt me. There's three of them with tons of mods for sale in my town right now. Oddly, they all have "reconstructed" titles.

I can't begin to imagine the number of "what was this PO thinking" moments one would have with a car like that.
chompy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Suby to buy for eventual engine swap? Reply with quote

Its funny you can buy subaru shortblocks new on amazon. They might have made a few over these last 27 years of keeping that basic shortblock design. Wink
Selsk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Suby to buy for eventual engine swap? Reply with quote

I had a 2005 Sti for years. It was blast. I found an awesome mechanic and we use to chat about subis whenever I would get work done etc. He loved the turbo motors for the power they produced, but with them it is always Head Gaskets, Head Gaskets, Head Gaskets. People do not change the oil often enough in these Japanese Ferraris. With the turbo's, they also get very hot obviously which accelerates the head gasket issues. As a daily driver he swore by the reliability of the NA motors. They last a very long time.

If you want a turbo motor or have one, I would recommend ceramic coatings on pipes. i.e. Jet-Hot etc. Heat Shields & shrouds on the turbo. Keep the heat down and controlled as much as possible.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: