Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Long Lost VW shop - Walworth, NY????
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whaanga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:26 pm    Post subject: Long Lost VW shop - Walworth, NY???? Reply with quote

I came across these photos I took about 15 years ago - long before I knew about this site or owned my bus. I discovered this shop one Sunday when we were on a family drive. Of course I had to pull over and snap a few photos - this was before we had digital cameras so these were taken with old school film.

Dan's Import Service was located in Walworth, NY (a quiet town east of Rochester by about 20 miles) and from the looks of it, Dan had a fair stash of Bay Window buses. I'm curious if any of you knew of this shop or what ever happened to Dan? I drove out there recently hoping I might discover any information and found that Dan's shop is now a pizza joint:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/3719+Main+St,+Wa...77.2728433

Thanks for any information any of you might have.

Jeff

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Long Lost VW shop - Walworth, NY???? Reply with quote

I remember driving by this place coming from Xerox on a gig.

One by one the air cooled indies drop out

# tears
Whaanga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Long Lost VW shop - Walworth, NY???? Reply with quote

Thanks for the response Abscate. When you use the term gig, are you a musician?

I am mildly curious what happened to these busses but more curious what happens to Dan and wonder if he still might be in the area. I've only met a couple of fellow AC folks in this region.

Jeff
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Long Lost VW shop - Walworth, NY???? Reply with quote

My "listen" by Beyoncé in the shower is ranked 7.1B most popular YouTube video. Vocals , flute, reeds, trombone are all in my repertoire but I have never done it for a living

I traded my W2 income for the life of the pale rider a couple of decades ago

I left 4 Bays in a garage in a horrible part of Buffalo back In the 80s, and more
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Long Lost VW shop - Walworth, NY???? Reply with quote

I don't remember that shop but I'm sure some from the Rochester VW club might.. www.flrvwc.com
I recall a small shop in Waterloo, NY had VWs and buggies out front into the 90's
and the VW guy in Auburn, NY.. well I'm sure many small towns/cities had one or three shops.
but many of these aren't profitable to keep up with taxes and inflation.

I'm over in Syracuse, but we've plenty of AC vw owners here who come out for the annual VW show in August.

feel free to drop me a line for any upstate CNY VW events.

I am curious on that orange/white tintop, as I have a friend who has one in the same shades of oxidization.

Dan Stevens
VW Club of Central NY
www.vwccny.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Whaanga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Long Lost VW shop - Walworth, NY???? Reply with quote

Thanks Dan,

I didn't realize there were two VW clubs in this region. I look forward to meeting other VW-ites in Western/Central NY.

Jeff
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Long Lost VW shop - Walworth, NY???? Reply with quote

the club in Buffalo is still going fairly well too.

both Rochester and buffalo lost their VW show venues in the past few years, but are trying to regoup.

www.VWAWNY.org
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Long Lost VW shop - Walworth, NY???? Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
I don't remember that shop but I'm sure some from the Rochester VW club might.. www.flrvwc.com
I recall a small shop in Waterloo, NY had VWs and buggies out front into the 90's
and the VW guy in Auburn, NY.. well I'm sure many small towns/cities had one or three shops.
but many of these aren't profitable to keep up with taxes and inflation.

I'm over in Syracuse, but we've plenty of AC vw owners here who come out for the annual VW show in August.

feel free to drop me a line for any upstate CNY VW events.

I am curious on that orange/white tintop, as I have a friend who has one in the same shades of oxidization.

Dan Stevens
VW Club of Central NY
www.vwccny.com

Select Auto in Waterloo still there - in fact I think I saw Joel at the AUG VW SYR show, Dan!

I bought a Quantum and an Audi from him over the years - both used cars in decent shape but lower end of market.

Ill be thankful for him refusing to sell me an AUDI 5000 in the beginnings of the transmission/differential oil mixing debacle
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: