Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

new 1973 bay window camper owner with mystery engine
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SBL74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject: new 1973 bay window camper owner with mystery engine Reply with quote

Yesterday I purchased a 1973 bus camper and I am confused about several things. Lets start with the engine. At first glance I thought it was a classic bus engine from that era. Underneath, I saw an oil filter that said Vanogan on it. That filter is on the drivers side, and is sideways (not vertical). And a diagnosic plug is present in the engine compartment. I see AK184317 stamped on the engine as I look at it straight on. And I am not sure what that is on the side of the distributer. I have attached a few pictures. Can someone tell me what engine I have?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks,

steve
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: new 1973 bay window camper owner with mystery engine Reply with quote

It's a Type 1 engine. Someone will chime in with more specific information. It was used in North America through 71 and in Europe much longer. The engine tin looks homemade. People sometimes put this engine in a bus they are selling because they tend to be cheaper and easier to find parts for.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: new 1973 bay window camper owner with mystery engine Reply with quote

Congratulations and welcome to the bay side of life!

Somebody has adapted a type 1 (Beetle) engine in there, not a bad thing if it was done properly, but I do see a few less than optimal parts installed so you'll want to go over it and check thier work, here's how to do it properly: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=483408

From here the bus doesn't look all that bad, odd paint color, but seemingly correct tires (how old?), genuine (or good repro) curtains but an odd color interior laminate, fresh looking canvas too. Obviously it's had some work done and much of it may be good, at least they sealed up around the engine instead of hanging it out in the open like the hardcore lipstick on a pig/polished turd flippers do.
Cool bar on the front as well!

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: new 1973 bay window camper owner with mystery engine Reply with quote

How about some pictures of the oil filter. You can get oil pumps that incorporate a filter into their design and the filters sticks off horizontally to the driver's side.
SBL74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: new 1973 bay window camper owner with mystery engine Reply with quote

Yes I thought that engine looked familiar.

Here is a picture taken tonight. It is the best I can do. It shows the oil filter and where it attaches. The place where the oil screen goes seems larger in diameter than that of my Thing. Not sure what that means.

I am also concerned that I cannot see any heat exchanging parts, like the hoses. And there is no place to put them either on the shroud or down below.

Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: new 1973 bay window camper owner with mystery engine Reply with quote

You have a late bay. These typically came with a type 4 "Porsche style" engine. Your bus, as others have pointed out, has a type 1. The fan shroud, as you pointed out is aftermarket and does not have heater tube ports. Though it does appear to have an oil cooler (which is good). The filter is just a filter that fit the aftermarket oil filter mount that the PO installed (fairly common). Some people think these are unnecessary, I personally believe that oil filters are highly underrated in this community.

The bosch blue coil is good, the 009 distributor is typically looked down on, But if it runs well, rock it. You also have an alternator (not a generator), and aftermarket oil filler. When it comes down to it, your bus engine is highly modified from original but nothing that is unfamiliar to these forums. I suggest reading until you understand what you have before changing anything/swapping anything on your engine. Do you have any specification for the internals of your engine?

Additional photos of the bus would help us help you a lot. Im interested in the engine mount and engine hanger assembly. As well as making sure your transmission mount is being utilized (it should be, id be surprised if it isn't), but interior, brake lines, front suspension, interior. (or just keep it to the engine if you are not looking for extra opinions on the rest of the bus.)

For what your bus likely started as:
Tcash wrote:
Welcome to TheSamba, Bay Window Bus Forum!

73-79 NEWBIE

Tcash wrote:
Every Type IV engine owner should know this!!!

If you over tighten the Oil Strainer bolt, you will brake the engine case!

There is a Oil strainer in there.
TORQUE THE STRAINER BOLT TO NO MORE THAN 9 FT. LBS.

Tcash wrote:
Here is a little information. Good Luck

Pictures would be cool.
How to post photos/How to post a photo in the Forums

Pronunciation (Samba) English

I am thinking of buying a VW van
Cleaning+Rodents+Hantavirus
Up in smoke... Bus fires... don't let it happen to you!
M-Plate Location
Type 2 M-Plate decoder
M-Plate Decoder Volkswagen Type 2 Bus
Bus VIN / Chassis Numbers
Type 2/Bus Owner's Manuals
Bus repair manuals
Bus parts manuals
Early Baywindow Bus Parts Book
Late Baywindow Bus Parts Fiche
Type 2 Wiring Diagrams
Model and Year Variations
Type 4: Secrets Revealed
Distributor Parts & Specifications
PARTS INTERCHANGE MANUAL
Youtube Videos

There is a ton of information located at the top of the Forum section.

Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: new 1973 bay window camper owner with mystery engine Reply with quote

It looks like you have dual solex carbs. I could be wrong. They don't play well with the 009 distributor. They will run with it, but the advance curve is wrong for them. Jeff at Kaddie Shack is the best guy to talk to regarding a good setup on those carbs. They have a variety of air cleaners that will fit those.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: new 1973 bay window camper owner with mystery engine Reply with quote

TomWesty wrote:
It looks like you have dual solex carbs. I could be wrong. They don't play well with the 009 distributor. They will run with it, but the advance curve is wrong for them. Jeff at Kaddie Shack is the best guy to talk to regarding a good setup on those carbs. They have a variety of air cleaners that will fit those.

Wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to get a different distributor? ... OP: learn your engine, then after much research change things in a logical manner. This will by far save you more money and headache than anything else. Once you know what you have, go see the Performance Engine/transmission forum and ask their opinions. There are some experts over there that will be able to help a lot.

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: new 1973 bay window camper owner with mystery engine Reply with quote

considering the shroud looks aftermarket, no telling what is in there really. The case is an AK which began life as a 1973 upright 1600 in a bug. Regardless you will enjoy the camping, and parts shouldn't be too hard to find if you need to do work on it. Wonder what the transmission looks like?
SBL74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: new 1973 bay window camper owner with mystery engine Reply with quote

Thanks everyone. All of the comments have been very helpful. I am, in fact listening and feeling the engine, making no changes for now. I runs very well, and shifts well. I have cleaned up the wiring etc in the dash (had no blinkers) and cleaned up the interior (not really much to do, frankly) and I drive it so I can see how it behaves.

I will see if I can get some more pictures in the light of day on some jack stands.

On person posted that it did have an air cooler. Where would that be?

steve
ccpalmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: new 1973 bay window camper owner with mystery engine Reply with quote

The oil cooler is located inside the fan shroud. Read up on oil coolers and "doghouse" shrouds.

As noted it would be good to find out what transmission you have and see if it plays well with that type 1 engine.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: new 1973 bay window camper owner with mystery engine Reply with quote

ccpalmer wrote:
The oil cooler is located inside the fan shroud. Read up on oil coolers and "doghouse" shrouds.

As noted it would be good to find out what transmission you have and see if it plays well with that type 1 engine.

All VW aircooled engines came stock with an oil cooler, so I guess I don't understand the one poster's statement. Also don't know of a way to determine if there is an offset oil cooler installed on this particular engine just from the pics. I must be missing something here.
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:15 am    Post subject: Re: new 1973 bay window camper owner with mystery engine Reply with quote

If the oil cooler is offset (dog house style), there will be a large protrusion on the front of the engine to the left of the air intake.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
sethpat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: new 1973 bay window camper owner with mystery engine Reply with quote

Saw this bus on CL a few months ago. Welcome, and have fun!

Frankenbus (sold)

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=674133&highlight=

1975 Westfalia
914 IV 1.7
93mm pistons
Weber 34 ICT's
Cam 264* .402 lift
yellowCOwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: new 1973 bay window camper owner with mystery engine Reply with quote

Never mind, I’m obviously tired.....

Carry on.

Edited

'78 Westy
Currently yellow and white "Sunny"
A few other air cooled VW and Porsches over the years
SBL74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: new 1973 bay window camper owner with mystery engine Reply with quote

I was asked to show what transmission was used for this engine. Here are some pictures. It is clearly a rebuilt transmission. Clean as can be on the exterior with a superior paint job. I see 2 numbers, which are shown. The next 4 pics are of the transmission in sections.

And the transmission:

Can someone comment and identify?

steve
SBL74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: new 1973 bay window camper owner with mystery engine Reply with quote

repost
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: new 1973 bay window camper owner with mystery engine Reply with quote

You have a three rib, 002 transmission, which assuming it has the original gearing means that it is well matched to your engine
SBL74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: new 1973 bay window camper owner with mystery engine Reply with quote

Thank you. Doing well so far!
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: new 1973 bay window camper owner with mystery engine Reply with quote

SBL74 wrote:
Thank you. Doing well so far!

Good to hear. Don't hesitate to ask any questions you have.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: