Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Not so standard, Standard.
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
John cilia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject: Not so standard, Standard. Reply with quote

I am restoring a September 1949 Standard bug. It does however have all holes in body, hood and fender horn grills. I know standards were available with Delux body trim when ordered from factory.
My question is that there is no horn mount on body behind fender but there are the two front fender grills. Would VW mount the horn on bumper bracket ahead of horn grill ? Or are the horn grills just part of the Delux look on a Standard sedan ?
Any ideas ?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Not so standard, Standard. Reply with quote

it would be helpful if you could provide us all with some good photos of the car. I understand wanting to keep something under wraps, but pictures can go a long way in helping answer questions.

as far as the fenders go, are you 100% positive they are original to the car? is it possible they are from another split beetle? Unless the car is totally original paint and unmolested, it is sometimes difficult to authenticate original parts.
OvalinAz
Samba Mini Tech

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Not so standard, Standard. Reply with quote

August is the new model year start? so it could be a deluxe?
12/62 French 11 Window Bus
Wedge VW
Pandraggers C.C.
John cilia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Not so standard, Standard. Reply with quote

That is my biggest concern that front fenders are not original standard ones but from a Delux.
I was trying too get confirmation if a Delux optioned Standard would also get the horn grills treatment but with the horn on the bumper bracket.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
John cilia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Not so standard, Standard. Reply with quote

Car is 100% a standard sedan and came in pearl gray paint.
All standard interior but optioned in Delux trim.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Not so standard, Standard. Reply with quote

OvalinAz wrote:
August is the new model year start? so it could be a deluxe?

Clarification: Not until August, 1955 for the 1956 model year
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
John cilia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:10 am    Post subject: Re: Not so standard, Standard. Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here are some pics of my 49 Standard.
Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:28 am    Post subject: Re: Not so standard, Standard. Reply with quote

It seems that you have one of the 'Canadian Standards', a hybrid specific to Canada, which is a half way stage between being a Standard & a Deluxe. There is a fair bit written about the subject elsewhere on this site.
John cilia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:55 am    Post subject: Re: Not so standard, Standard. Reply with quote

According to my BC the car left factory to Manheim Germany. Dealer was Islinger.
John cilia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Not so standard, Standard. Reply with quote

More unusual info on my car.
Front fenders appear to be original. They have the small horn grill slots for grill mounting but the driver side fender does not have the large hole for horn sound too pass through. Body does not have horn bracket either.
So it appears that horn was mounted on bumper bracket in front of the horn grill.
Wiggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Not so standard, Standard. Reply with quote

Martin Southwell wrote:
It seems that you have one of the 'Canadian Standards', a hybrid specific to Canada, which is a half way stage between being a Standard & a Deluxe. There is a fair bit written about the subject elsewhere on this site.

VWs were not imported into Canada until 1952 - so that would not be the case for a 1949.

My 58 Ghia Vert

My 51 Split 11G

My 57 Deluxe

My 56 Oval
Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Not so standard, Standard. Reply with quote

OK. So not a Canadian Standard! - I didn't know when they started, but purely a suggestion. VW's imported into Canada in 1952? That's a year before they started officially importing VWs into the UK in 1953.

I know someone who was in Canada in the very early 50's, and told me once about driving VWs there, and even test driving a new Tatra in the same period. Having not seen him for 5 years now, I ought to try and call him, to see if he is alive, and ask if he can recall dates of these things.
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Not so standard, Standard. Reply with quote

Why do you think it's a standard and not a true deluxe?

Deluxe versus standard is more about the amendments on the body than the chassis. For example, my 49 deluxe has mechanical brakes and of course lever shocks, but it also has adjustable seats, white pods and horn mounted behind the fender.

My take is that the deluxe is really just the body molding, pod coloring, how the seats were attached to the pan and a few other small modifications.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
John cilia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Not so standard, Standard. Reply with quote

This car is entirely a standard inside with a Delux trim outside except for horn on bumper.
Wiggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Not so standard, Standard. Reply with quote

Martin Southwell wrote:
OK. So not a Canadian Standard! - I didn't know when they started, but purely a suggestion. VW's imported into Canada in 1952? That's a year before they started officially importing VWs into the UK in 1953.

I know someone who was in Canada in the very early 50's, and told me once about driving VWs there, and even test driving a new Tatra in the same period. Having not seen him for 5 years now, I ought to try and call him, to see if he is alive, and ask if he can recall dates of these things.

It's 100% accurate that VW started importing into Canada in 52. VW Canada celebrated its 60th anniversary in 2012. Easy to google it to see.

Since he has the birth cert. - it was shipped to Germany. So I very much think this is something that was probably a dealer or owner change - especially the fenders.

My 58 Ghia Vert

My 51 Split 11G

My 57 Deluxe

My 56 Oval
virtanen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Not so standard, Standard. Reply with quote

Can you post pics of rear quarter to see the molding holes? I see your doors have 6 clip holes, when original deluxe split door has 5 clips.

Could be a standard which was make up in Germany to look a deluxe. Quite common in those days.
New projects
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
John cilia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Not so standard, Standard. Reply with quote

Thanks Mika. That's what Iam getting that info from my research.
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Not so standard, Standard. Reply with quote

It seems pretty cut and dry from where I am sitting... the car is grey (standard) the fenders have the horn grills added (standard) there is no horn mount on the front 1/4 (standard) the trim holes may not have been drilled at the factory.

I say restore it to standard factory specs. If you like the look of a standard with trim and chrome hubcaps/headlight rings (very common on standards) then go that route.

Aside from all that, it looks like very good sheet metal to start with!
djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Not so standard, Standard. Reply with quote

drivers side fender seems to have no cutout for horn either. do both fenders have the 4 slots for the horn grill tabs ? if those slots were even spaced and look like factory stampings, that would be good indication for a factory installed DLX trim.
FWIW my ex 51 std with factory Dlx trim did have a horn bracket behind fender, but I can't say if it was factory installed or later added.

52 Barndoor DLX Coachbuild project
55 Wolfsburg panel project, og paint Taubenblau L31
62 Dickholmer, custom color Seeblau L360
63 1500 Notch, og paint Rubin Rot L456
67 1500 Käfer, og paint Lotus weiß L282 w/red interior
John cilia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Not so standard, Standard. Reply with quote

Yes both front fenders have the small slots for mounting horn grills and both were there.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: