Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Yakima roof rack bars, length?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pwcgecko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:57 pm    Post subject: Yakima roof rack bars, length? Reply with quote

Hi All,

All you yakima roof rack owners out there, what length are your bars?

Thanks...
PtownVdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: yakima roof rack bars, length? Reply with quote

I have 58" load bars on my Eurovan. I like that they do not extend past the body.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

annieq
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: yakima roof rack bars, length? Reply with quote

I've been wondering about the track on my EVC pop top. I believe they are a T track, but will they accommodate Thule or Yakima fittings???
greenlaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: yakima roof rack bars, length? Reply with quote

I've run 78" bars on all three of my EVs, cut down to 70". This allows me to run my cargo box, a "basket case" (no longer made) and a bike rack all on the roof. Yes, they do extend beyond the body, but they've never been in the way.

(before I hacked 4" off each side)

'92 Mercedes-Benz 400E
pwcgecko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:44 am    Post subject: Re: yakima roof rack bars, length? Reply with quote

Thanks all for the feedback. I just ordered the GoWesty Yakima bundle, that comes with the 72" bars. i will see how much they stick out on the sides, initially i was leaning towards 66".
pwcgecko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: yakima roof rack bars, length? Reply with quote

greenlaker wrote:
I've run 78" bars on all three of my EVs, cut down to 70". This allows me to run my cargo box, a "basket case" (no longer made) and a bike rack all on the roof. Yes, they do extend beyond the body, but they've never been in the way.

(before I hacked 4" off each side)

GreenLaker I just noticed you had your brackets upside down, I have mine the other way and I am thinking of reversing them like your's to lower the rack by 1.5 inches or. Have you had any issues with the brackets being upside down?
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Yakima roof rack bars, length? Reply with quote

Hey, I need to do that as well. Mine stick up way too high.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
greenlaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Yakima roof rack bars, length? Reply with quote

Ha, I was wondering if somebody would notice my flipping of the brackets. I initially installed them upside-down in order to make the entire assembly lower profile. If my measurements are accurate, I should be able to (barely) park the van in the garage with the towers and bars installed, I've just never attempted it. Your results may vary.

No issues incurred during a ≈3000 mile road trip to CO and back over the summer with the box installed. The rack and box have been off the van since our return though. It'd be easy to flip them over to the proper orientation if needed.
'92 Mercedes-Benz 400E
pwcgecko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Yakima roof rack bars, length? Reply with quote

i flipped my brackets this morning and it worked out. The angle of the bracket and the side roof makes for a good hold, I have no concerns of the tower slipping off the bracket. Thanks everyone for their feedback and input on the bars and mounting suggestions. I am very pleased how it came out.

First picture is the brackets right side up, notice the higher profile.

Second picture is the bracket upside down, notice the lower profile.

Third Picture is my new mega warrior mounted and my Fiamma F35.

greenlaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Yakima roof rack bars, length? Reply with quote

I love your custom--painted brackets, looks great!
'92 Mercedes-Benz 400E
swsl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: Yakima roof rack bars, length? Reply with quote

I also have the longer bars hanging over. Just in case I need to put something a board or kayak alongside my yakima box.

@pwcgecko: what length is your fiamma? 8'/2.5 meters? Trying to decide if a 270 will fit. My van is in another state, so I can't measure. I remember that the 10' would not fit when we measured but I didn't know there was a 270 cm option at the time. That would be 8'8" standard.
pwcgecko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Yakima roof rack bars, length? Reply with quote

swsl wrote:
I also have the longer bars hanging over. Just in case I need to put something a board or kayak alongside my yakima box.

@pwcgecko: what length is your fiamma? 8'/2.5 meters? Trying to decide if a 270 will fit. My van is in another state, so I can't measure. I remember that the 10' would not fit when we measured but I didn't know there was a 270 cm option at the time. That would be 8'8" standard.

I believe mine is the 8'2", I like the size and think it fits perfect. The only time I have an issue with the front door is if it is raining and I slant the awning downward it will slightly hit the front door. In normal use I have plenty of clearance. I think an 8'8" would fit fine and you would get more coverage over the front door. Good luck.
pinetreeporsche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: yakima roof rack bars, length? Reply with quote

annieq wrote:
I've been wondering about the track on my EVC pop top. I believe they are a T track, but will they accommodate Thule or Yakima fittings???

My new (to me) '97 full camper has a pair of tracks (I guess that describes them) on the roof w/Yakama bars going across. They are mounted just inside the hump at the edge where the flat top plane loops up and over to make the sides of the roof. There's some sag to the pop-top itself, and I have a feeling that the rack, which I've seen in pics to have carried a bullet box unit of some kind, likely with too much load, caused the sag. Has anyone else w/a Winnie with a moderate sag in the roof found anything that reduces the amount of sag?
Michigan03EV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Yakima roof rack bars, length? Reply with quote

Talk about reviving this from the dead, does anyone know what number Q Clips Yakima used with our EV's?
swimrr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Yakima roof rack bars, length? Reply with quote

Yakima Q12 Clips. Two years ago I was able to track a few down, but they're hard to find as I don't think they make them anymore.
Michigan03EV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: Yakima roof rack bars, length? Reply with quote

swimrr wrote:
Yakima Q12 Clips. Two years ago I was able to track a few down, but they're hard to find as I don't think they make them anymore.

Lifesaver right there. Found a few on eBay and should arrive before we take this baby across the country! Thank you
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Yakima roof rack bars, length? Reply with quote

I'm interested in a rack for my 2003 tintop.

Anyone know what would work for this? So far, everything I've found seems to be for pop tops, though one of the first responses to the thread shows a rack on a tintop.

Edit: I know this thread mentions Yakima but I already have Thule cross bars, so that would be my preference.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
smailjordan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Yakima roof rack bars, length? Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
I'm interested in a rack for my 2003 tintop.

Anyone know what would work for this? So far, everything I've found seems to be for pop tops, though one of the first responses to the thread shows a rack on a tintop.

Edit: I know this thread mentions Yakima but I already have Thule cross bars, so that would be my preference.

Did you ever find a rack for your in top?
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Yakima roof rack bars, length? Reply with quote

Nope, nothing yet.

Admittedly, also haven't been able to look much since that post, either.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
streamr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Yakima roof rack bars, length? Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
Nope, nothing yet.

I know you mentioned Thule, but this is the Yakima combo that works well. Their Q-Towers with the Q-12 clips (as mentioned earlier). Towers are pretty easy to find, the clips are a little trickier. I may have an extra set of towers laying around, I'd have to check.

Thule has a #400 bracket that is similar and they seem to be available on ebay but I have no idea which clip is needed. I never cared for Thule's racks, they don't seem to be as robust as Yakima, but that's just me.

Anyway, good luck!

PS, to stay on topic, my bars are 58" long. I, too, prefer them to not be wider than the vehicle.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: