Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New tires for 2002 MV
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwplenty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:42 pm    Post subject: New tires for 2002 MV Reply with quote

Put new tires on the Eurovan, Kumo Crugen HT51 235/60 R16 104T XL.

On a trip to the Mojave Desert in early April we had tread separation on one front tire, a 6 year old Nokian Entyre 2.0. The Nokian tires only had 18,000 miles on them and plenty of tread left but apparently their age of 6 years and desert washboard dirt roads did one of them in, though we drove at 15MPH or less on the bad roads. We were warned about the age of the Nokians and replaced all four.

The Kumo tires are much quieter and smoother riding than the Nokians. The speedometer, checked by GPS was reading low by 1 MPG due to the slightly larger size of the Kumo tires but I like the feeling of the Eurovan on Kumos. I noticed no rubbing when turning, my front ride height is set to 263 mm at the front shock bolts which raises the van a bit over the factory setting of 257mm.

/Robert
2002 MV - 168,000 miles
MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: New tires for 2002 MV Reply with quote

vwplenty wrote:
Put new tires on the Eurovan, Kumo Crugen HT51 235/60 R16 104T XL.

On a trip to the Mojave Desert in early April we had tread separation on one front tire, a 6 year old Nokian Entyre 2.0. The Nokian tires only had 18,000 miles on them and plenty of tread left but apparently their age of 6 years and desert washboard dirt roads did one of them in, though we drove at 15MPH or less on the bad roads. We were warned about the age of the Nokians and replaced all four.

The Kumo tires are much quieter and smoother riding than the Nokians. The speedometer, checked by GPS was reading low by 1 MPG due to the slightly larger size of the Kumo tires but I like the feeling of the Eurovan on Kumos. I noticed no rubbing when turning, my front ride height is set to 263 mm at the front shock bolts which raises the van a bit over the factory setting of 257mm.

/Robert
2002 MV - 168,000 miles

Didn't want to hear that. I just put some enTyre 2.0s on my van.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: New tires for 2002 MV Reply with quote

That’s probably a sample defect more than an indicator of tread life of the brand.
MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: New tires for 2002 MV Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
That’s probably a sample defect more than an indicator of tread life of the brand.

This isn't the first time that I have read of this happening. There are also plenty of positive reports. Since Nokian with a repeatable company, and there are not a lot of options, I went for it.

Seems like a Nokian would be better than some of the off brands offering a 225/60r16XL tire. Now I am not so sure.
philipt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: New tires for 2002 MV Reply with quote

I also got the Kumho Crugen tires for my 2003 Weekender 2 weeks ago. On a camping trip last week to Morro Bay my wife immediately noticed how quiet and smooth the van was driving. Another plus is the 104H load rating which is 1984 lbs/tire! I strongly recommend these affordable tires.
MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: New tires for 2002 MV Reply with quote

I just noticed the 215/65r16XL tire. There are a few more tires in this size in XL than in 225/60. They have Kumho Crugen's in this size too. This would be a good option if you want to keep the over all diameter the same as stock.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: