Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Spring pack stuck in ball joint trailing arm – suggestions?
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:06 pm    Post subject: Spring pack stuck in ball joint trailing arm – suggestions? Reply with quote

I have disassembled my front beam, and with the help of Samba member LowCashJohn and his TIG welder, I was able to remove a stripped grub screw from the Passenger side lower trailing arm. Here’s where things get interesting. Removal of the lower spring pack and trailing arm as a unit involved a lot of blue words and a rubber mallet. Once out, I cleaned the springs as a cluster because it would not come out of the trailing arm (YES, I removed the grub screw. It was the one that went sideways on me.) The spring leaves were crusty and probably have some corrosion due to water infiltration. I do not own a vice (it’s on the to-do list) but holding the spring pack with a grippy rubber glove and beating on the trailing arm with the rubber mallet had no effect. Like the spring pack, I am stuck.

I have read suggestions involving penetrating oil and heat.
- What should I use for a penetrant?
- If heat is safe to use on the trailing arm, will a propane or MAP Gas torch suffice?
- Any other tips or tricks to try?

Here are some pictures of the trailing arms. I am looking for recommendations on how to recondition the discolored ones if necessary. I have not cleaned the beam yet so I can’t speak to the condition of the bearings and inner Micarta bushings but there were no red flags during disassembly.

Driver Upper
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Driver Lower

Passenger Upper

Passenger lower

Lower Spring – Driver end

Lower Spring – Middle

Lower Spring – Passenger end

Thanks
Emil

See my build on TheSamba at:
The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Spring pack stuck in ball joint trailing arm – suggestions? Reply with quote

As far as penetrating oil go, I've had very good success with both PB Blaster and Kroil.

I've also read that many people swear by using a 50/50 mixture of automatic transmission fluid and acetone, although a Google search indicates that there may be some difficulty in getting those two fluids to mix.

For heat, I've had great success with a Bernz-O-Matic TS8000 Max Heat Torch burning Map-Pro gas.
On the rare occasion where that didn't supply enough heat, I've always been able to break it loose by resorting to a Bernz-O-Matic WK55000X Oxygen/Map-Pro Brazing Torch.

Oh, and be sure to keep a fire extinguisher on hand nearby just in case the penetrating oil or grease begins to burn out of control. ( Embarassed )
70 140
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Spring pack stuck in ball joint trailing arm – suggestions? Reply with quote

It shouldn't need heat. I'd put a few broccoli elastics on the leaves and drop the entire thing, leaf first into a suitable length of steel pipe. Pry the dust caps out - if they are still in place covering the ends of the leaves. Stand the pipe up, use a punch and big hammer and drive the leaves out (down into the pipe).
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Spring pack stuck in ball joint trailing arm – suggestions? Reply with quote

Evil_Fiz wrote:
Any other tips or tricks to try?

You can always just let the leaves stay in the one trailing arm. Having one side pre-assembled can help when sliding the torsion leaves back into the beam too.
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Spring pack stuck in ball joint trailing arm – suggestions? Reply with quote

70 140 wrote:
broccoli elastics

Wink

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
70 140
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Spring pack stuck in ball joint trailing arm – suggestions? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
70 140 wrote:
broccoli elastics

Wink

Yup. Always a bunch of them and bread tabs around the shop.
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Spring pack stuck in ball joint trailing arm – suggestions? Reply with quote

I was thinking a chip clip would do it... But a broccoli elastic, genius!
70 140
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Spring pack stuck in ball joint trailing arm – suggestions? Reply with quote

xzener wrote:

Wrong task. Chip clips are for headliner installs.
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Spring pack stuck in ball joint trailing arm – suggestions? Reply with quote

70 140 wrote:
xzener wrote:

...and Binder Clips are used to keep chip bags closed.

bnc
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Spring pack stuck in ball joint trailing arm – suggestions? Reply with quote

didget69 wrote:
70 140 wrote:
xzener wrote:

...and Binder Clips are used to keep chip bags closed.
bnc
Great news... So which one do I use to remove a rusted bearing from the beam Laughing

70 140 wrote:
It shouldn't need heat. I'd put a few broccoli elastics on the leaves and drop the entire thing, leaf first into a suitable length of steel pipe. Pry the dust caps out - if they are still in place covering the ends of the leaves. Stand the pipe up, use a punch and big hammer and drive the leaves out (down into the pipe).
I had no idea those were dust caps. Your post gave me an idea so I tried you suggestion in reverse. I put the trailing arm in my B&D Workmate with the springs pack sticking up. I read in another post that a brass drift could be used to hammer the springs out without marring them. I did not have a brass drift but I did have a brass shower head fitting that cane out of our second bathroom. I was having a hard time keeping the springs together and aligned so I slipped another trailing arm over them and that did the trick. I placed the fitting atop the spring pack and was able to hammer the springs out, popping the dust cap out along the way, and letting it continue to slip out through the ball joint end of the arm.

Spring removal setup

Brass fitting

Rusty, crusty dust cap

Even rustier. crustier spring leaves

Tools of the trade

Once out, I was able to clean the spring leaves revealing the corrosion that was binding them to the trailing arm. The corresponding bearing is rusted and will need to be replaced. I will most likely replace all the bearings but leave the inner Micarta bushings in place.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: Spring pack stuck in ball joint trailing arm – suggestions? Reply with quote

Does anyone have any advise on how to recondition the journals on the trailing arms? I have searched here and on STF with no luck.

Thanks,
Emil

Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Spring pack stuck in ball joint trailing arm – suggestions? Reply with quote

Evil_Fiz wrote:
Does anyone have any advise on how to recondition the journals on the trailing arms? I have searched here and on STF with no luck.

Thanks,
Emil

Why do all B&D workmates look like that? If the journals are just ugly but smooth (check with your finger nail) a light polish with 600 W&D paper and some lite oil will work. If the pitting is deep just polish them smooth but don't try to remove them or look for replacements.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: