Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

type 4 build thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sshulk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 3:43 am    Post subject: Re: type 4 build thread Reply with quote

Yeah, Mr raby said he uses a pro to apply it. I would imagine it’s very important, especially near wear the case seals, I think I’m going to give rat a call and see what they say.
72 Super
60 Mango Ragtop Camper Bug Project Thread
63 Ragtop Project
73 Auto Westfalia
2056 Type 4 Engine Build Thread
Filthy Buggers
swharris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: type 4 build thread Reply with quote

sshulk wrote:
You make a fair point that I do agree with. I would imagine I have to remove the head studs to ship the case. Also. Would he remove the galley plugs or would I do that. Also in addition I want the galleys cleaned well as well as the whole case. I would like it cleaned very well. I DO NOT want the case bead blasted. I guess I could shoot him an email to find out the work he does but like I said. I really would the case and the galleys cleaned very well.

Curious why you would not want it to bead blasted? If you are concerned with residue, have it soda blasted.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sshulk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: type 4 build thread Reply with quote

Len Hoffman and others told me how bead blasting can affect a case. The glass beads don’t all get out of the case. Especially the oil galleys, ands they can ruin an engine very quickly. I’d rather not take that risk. Yes it could be soda blasted. That’s one of the alternatives that len Hoffman recommended.
72 Super
63 Ragtop Project
73 Auto Westfalia
Filthy Buggers
swharris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: type 4 build thread Reply with quote

sshulk wrote:
Len Hoffman and others told me how bead blasting can affect a case. The glass beads don’t all get out of the case. Especially the oil galleys, ands they can ruin an engine very quickly. I’d rather not take that risk. Yes it could be soda blasted. That’s one of the alternatives that len Hoffman recommended.

I guess I could see that as a potential problem. Are people acid etching at home/shop or sending out to a machine shop jobber?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: type 4 build thread Reply with quote

Hhmmm… Think Think
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And the number of threaded galley plugs is...

One... Two...

Two... Eh?

TWO!!

Laughing Laughing

What’s That Noise?!?
sshulk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: type 4 build thread Reply with quote

Got of the phone fat performance today. So if I ship the case out to them for 45 dollars they will hotwash, then clean and inspect the case. For another 110 they will do they galley plugs. Sounds like a pretty good dea to me.
72 Super
63 Ragtop Project
73 Auto Westfalia
Filthy Buggers
Wreck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: type 4 build thread Reply with quote

Money well spent .
On your list of parts from the type4 store I would get a lightened flywheel instead of the standard one . It will give a lot crisper throttle response .
sshulk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: type 4 build thread Reply with quote

Wreck wrote:
Money well spent .
On your list of parts from the type4 store I would get a lightened flywheel instead of the standard one . It will give a lot crisper throttle response .

Yeah we talked about this on page 6 I think. Probsbly what I’m going to do. I’ll see if the type 4 store has I’m not sure if it’s ligtened or not. I’ll see.
72 Super
63 Ragtop Project
73 Auto Westfalia
Filthy Buggers
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: type 4 build thread Reply with quote

Will be interesting to see how many galley plugs FAT tends to pull/plug.. Think Think

What’s That Noise?!?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: type 4 build thread Reply with quote

Who cares how many galley plugs other people pull?

As noted.....in virtually every type 4 case I have ever worked on.....I have found potentially engine killing crap behind every galley plug. Some more or less.....but after 40+ years.....just do them all. With any type 4 complete rebuild....you will have far too much $$$$ invested to be rolling the dice.....based upon "fear of tapping".
Its just not that difficult.

If you are willing to play potential Russian roulette with one or two plugs....why bother with any of them? Wink

With regard to painting cases. One of the biggest problems....is proper masking of gasket areas. You do not want paint on any mating surfaces. The gaskets stick to the paint.....paint can and generally will eventually seperate. Part of this is that the paint also has depth. As it gets hot.....it softens and compresses.

To apply paint your masking needs to be very accurate....oil pump opening and gasket surface, oil strainer gasket surface, taco plate sealing surface, cylinder sealing, surfaces, oil cooler seal mating surfaces, oil chimney gasket surfaces. Front and rear main seal surfaces.

Take a look at that case picture....and note that there is no paint in the oil pump bore or its mating surfaces. Wink Ray
sshulk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: type 4 build thread Reply with quote

Ok, Almost time to purchase almost everything for the short block. I have a list here of all the parts im getting.

STG 1 Flywheel, Pressure Plate, Clutch - https://type4store.com/products/clutch-flywheel-pressure-plate/200mm-stg-1-complete-combo.html
Cam Bearings - https://type4store.com/products/bearings/hd-ger-double-thrust-cam-bearings.html
Bearings - https://vwparts.aircooled.net/T4-Main-Bearings-Std-Case-p/t4-main-bearings-std-case.htm
Cam Plug - https://type4store.com/camshaft-oil-plug.html
Pulley - https://type4store.com/cnc-billet-dtm-conv-pulley.html
HD Pressure Plate To FlyWheel Bolts - https://type4store.com/hd-pressure-plate-to-flywheel-bolts.html
HD Flywheel Bolt Set - https://type4store.com/hd-flywheel-bolt-set.html

My question is for the rod bearings. I recieved 2.0 H beams from the type 4 store. They were just AA H beams that were re sold. Not sure if they are good or not but... anyways, I would like to get bearings for them, I was looking at the 2.0 Race Rod Bearins, Coated. https://type4store.com/products/bearings/race-rod-bearings-coated-stock-20l.html but do i need these? Or would I be better off with a set of Brazilian bearings? Nicole Told me the race bearings are the ones raby used to use so she is unsure really about them. Do they sound good? Im willing to pay the extra buck to get better bearings, but are these ones good?

Thanks Max! P.S. Please let me know if i am missing something I need from my list above. Minus, Cam Kit, Crankshaft, and Rods.
72 Super
63 Ragtop Project
73 Auto Westfalia
Filthy Buggers
Wreck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: type 4 build thread Reply with quote

I'm using Silverline rod bearings from AA . I've them in 2 engines so far no issues but the real test case (2.6 reving to over 7000rpm) only has 2000km so far.You will find a lot of resellers selling rebranded AA parts.
I would also like to recommend using John at Air-cooled Net as much as possible because of the free advise and experience he freely shares on this forum and his prices are good.

The cam plug can be cleaned up and reused from your core engine. Others may have different ideas but I'd also reuse your main 5 flywheel bolts , I do not think you will have the horsepower to break them and can save a few bucks that you don't need to spend .
sshulk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: type 4 build thread Reply with quote

Wreck wrote:
I'm using Silverline rod bearings from AA . I've them in 2 engines so far no issues but the real test case (2.6 reving to over 7000rpm) only has 2000km so far.You will find a lot of resellers selling rebranded AA parts.
I would also like to recommend using John at Air-cooled Net as much as possible because of the free advise and experience he freely shares on this forum and his prices are good.

The cam plug can be cleaned up and reused from your core engine. Others may have different ideas but I'd also reuse your main 5 flywheel bolts , I do not think you will have the horsepower to break them and can save a few bucks that you don't need to spend .

Yeah I’m not super sure which to go with because I know the silver line are Brazilian rods bearing. I would just want a good set of quality rod bearings, that’s why I figured race bearings would stay in good shape. But I’m not sure. Type 4 store also sells German rod bearings for 45 bucks I think which isn’t bad. But they are braziLian but just repackaged in Germany.

Regarding the flywheel bolts, I get them I’m the dtm kit so Nicole is going to credit me the money back.
72 Super
63 Ragtop Project
73 Auto Westfalia
Filthy Buggers
Volswagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: type 4 build thread Reply with quote

I didn't see that John had them until after I ordered AA's from Heritage.
I'm closer to England here than Utah anyway, plus I needed a new cooling fan grill. ETA: I see now Bus Depot has both. Ach Ja...

'75 Bus https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=697183&highlight=
samhayne
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: type 4 build thread Reply with quote

Has anyone had any dealing with this company? Was thinking of purchasing some stuff from them. I'm doing a lower budget upright conversion with a stock crank I have on hand. I tested it and it appears good but just need polished.

http://www.europeanmotorworks.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wreck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: type 4 build thread Reply with quote

yes good to deal with , Ring Jorge and tell him what you need .
sshulk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: type 4 build thread Reply with quote

Ok, so I am back it working on my 914 engine. I had acquired a new car, where this engine will be going in. But on a better not, with my new car I acquired, lots and lots of parts. Some being a set of New, never used Italian 45 dells. Now I see a set of them the exact same for sale currently for $2500. and Im curious if it would be good to use them as they are a bit bigger size. I could sell them, and buy the CB performance kit
http://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/6414.htm
only 779$

or the
http://www.cbperformance.com/Dual-Weber-40-IDF-Kit-Type-4-914-p/6410.htm
same price at $779

What do you guys think?
72 Super
63 Ragtop Project
73 Auto Westfalia
Filthy Buggers
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: type 4 build thread Reply with quote

Just because someone is trying to sell something for $2,500,
Doesn't mean that there is a person willing to give that much.

FWIW,
You can put smaller vents in those, and make them work great with your combo.
It would give you room to upgrade in the future.

If I had a chance to get a set of NOS Dell 45s,
i'd be hanging on to those.
Good luck finding another set.

Buying a set of China or Spain IDF copies,
Um,
That's not so Bueno..

If you are new to setting up a set of dual/dual carbs,
Crappy aftermarket copies can throw you so many 'curve balls',
That you might end up smashing them flat with a brick..
Unless you have a lot experience with these types of carbs,
Better to not have odd/hidden surprises from offshore manufacture.

What’s That Noise?!?
sshulk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: type 4 build thread Reply with quote

Thats a good point, I didn't even think about that. Looks like ill be keeping them, because I really dont want problems with new Carbs. Its better that I have a good set to stick with. So my plans will be to buy a synclink linkage for the 45 dells, as well as the proper manifolds.
72 Super
63 Ragtop Project
73 Auto Westfalia
Filthy Buggers
MConstable
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: type 4 build thread Reply with quote

Post pics of those Dells, please, they are awesome carbs.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Page 16 of 19

Jump to: