Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

type 4 build thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wreck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:57 am    Post subject: Re: type 4 build thread Reply with quote

That oil cooler seal area doesn't look good from the picture , it's a bit hard to see how deep it is . The seal will take up a bit but not a lot . Have you asked FAT about it ?
sshulk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: type 4 build thread Reply with quote

bugguy1967 wrote:
Mock first, then balance. With a stock stroke, you won’t have any issues. It’s still good practice.

Ok thats good to know, that way I can start working on it. When I do the mocking up, do I need to put my cam and dist. gears on the crankshaft? Or can I wait until everything is ready to be finalized and balanced?

Wreck wrote:
That oil cooler seal area doesn't look good from the picture , it's a bit hard to see how deep it is . The seal will take up a bit but not a lot . Have you asked FAT about it ?

Yes I called them yesterday. They were busy and said to email a picture of the damage. So I did. Just waiting on a call back. Im at school now, so I cant confirm, but I believe that the chip is just where the seal sits. Im thinking the seal would cover it, but Im really not sure.
72 Super
60 Mango Ragtop Camper Bug Project Thread
63 Ragtop Project
73 Auto Westfalia
2056 Type 4 Engine Build Thread
Filthy Buggers
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: type 4 build thread Reply with quote

Pardon my ignorance, but on the other case, even though incorrectly drilled, couldn't you just tap the hole and insert one of those pretty blue plugs? Probably a moot point since the case has been replaced, but I wouldn't toss it if it can be fixed.

H2OSB
sshulk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: type 4 build thread Reply with quote

H2OSB wrote:
Pardon my ignorance, but on the other case, even though incorrectly drilled, couldn't you just tap the hole and insert one of those pretty blue plugs? Probably a moot point since the case has been replaced, but I wouldn't toss it if it can be fixed.

H2OSB

I think the problem is the actual hole he drilled through the inside of the case. I think youre right that it could be plugged but the other side would have to be welded close and remachined. Either way ill keep it on the shelf
72 Super
63 Ragtop Project
73 Auto Westfalia
Filthy Buggers
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: type 4 build thread Reply with quote

SSHULK, curious, how many miles on the 914 engine, have not been following the ware and tear in the engine you show. Was it in a 914. I had several.
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sshulk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: type 4 build thread Reply with quote

nextgen wrote:
SSHULK, curious, how many miles on the 914 engine, have not been following the ware and tear in the engine you show. Was it in a 914. I had several.

not sure on the mileage, but it’s a 1.7 Ea case Originally from a 914. but this engine I believe was used in the previous owners race car, which would explain the need for a line bore and thrust cut. I didn’t post any pictures of the wear on this particular engine, only the first one. But I do have photos so I can post them

also got the call back from FAT today. some bad news. They said the case would surely leak and that it would need to be repaired. so yet again another delay. I’ve already packed up the case half and it’s going to go in the mail tomorrow. they agreed to fix it on their dime. so that’s good.
72 Super
63 Ragtop Project
73 Auto Westfalia
Filthy Buggers
Wreck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:38 am    Post subject: Re: type 4 build thread Reply with quote

Have patience .You have youth on your side Very Happy

These are the sort of things that engine builders deal with a lot . someone rushing through thinking "It'll be OK " generally find it doesn't and have to re do every thing . Normally if you have a tight deadline everything that can go wrong will go wrong.
I spent 3 months of hours in the evening after my day job and weekends building my 2.6 . dry assembling and measuring / machining, porting and building the exhaust . Deadline was an annual VW only drag meet local to me. First hiccup was the 48 Dellortos (supposed to be reconditioned) both needed the lead plugs inside the carbs replaced . Next was what I thought was head sealing issues turned out to be a porous hole in the exhaust port casting . I missed the meet .

Quote of the week . " Why is there never enough time to do something properly the first time but always enough time to do it properly a second time !"
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: type 4 build thread Reply with quote

I agree with Wreck, I built a lot of T-4 engines but my first Upright conversion could have been a total disaster - This is what I consider a major flaw in the T-4 engine. The T-4 has 2 ways you can drain the oil, one is a drain bolt and the other is a drain bolt with the screen like a T-1.

The one with screen be extremely careful not to over tighten it. The reason is the bolt if over tightened can crack the case, which will case a oil leak and worse, seeing the bold also supports the oil sump suction tub. The only way to fix it is to split the case.

I had 914’s and worked next door to Manhattan Porsche. Became friends with the parts guy. Not only did he turn me on to a 914 that was in storage for 10 years in an indoor heated garage, in Fort Apache, The Bronx, which I bought for $1500. Also, a never used training engine. Never had oil in it, just used to teach the guys about the 914. Looked new, lucky I split the case. The bolt was over tightened and cracked the case. Easy fix.

I never change the oil from the bolt with the screen ( so I never cleaned the screen). I only use the other single drain bolt. The engine has a stock Spin on filter, not worried.
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KidGhia2020
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: type 4 build thread Reply with quote

So I read all 19 pages of this thread and noticed there hasn't been any update/postings for almost a year and a half? I wonder if COVID may have stagnated the project? I am going in a similar route as SSHULK, with the exception of starting with a stripped out 1.7 case that I found in the classified ads here. I plan on going with a kit to get things somewhat a little more easier (shipping fees eventually add to the cost in my mind). Does anyone know a machine shop that can do the 911 fan shroud mod that involves "shaving" the chimney? I look forward to continue following this thread so that I can learn more about using the TYPE 4 platform in my own car.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19
Jump to:
Page 19 of 19

Jump to: