Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wheels locked up
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bunky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:57 pm    Post subject: Wheels locked up Reply with quote

All four wheels of the thing are pretty much locked up. Brake pedal is down all the way. Can't release the brake pedal. I'm thinking the master cylinder .what do you guys think??
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheels locked up Reply with quote

Try opening a bleeder valve and seeing if the system is under pressure! If so then you have a MC problem.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bunky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheels locked up Reply with quote

Yeah, I'll open a bleeder in the morning and see what happens. Thanks
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheels locked up Reply with quote

bunky wrote:
Yeah, I'll open a bleeder in the morning and see what happens. Thanks

Had you been driving this Thing regularly or has it been sitting for years? You said “all four wheels are pretty much locked up”. Have you verified this?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bunky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheels locked up Reply with quote

Drive it all the time. Just locked up today. All four. Hope it’s the MC easy fix
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Wheels locked up Reply with quote

I wouldn't recommend doing any driving until you figure out what is wrong. Opening a bleeder isn't going to fix a thing, maybe give you some diagnostic clues and temporarily relieve a symptom.
germanbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Wheels locked up Reply with quote

Check behind the brake pedal and see if the push rod to the master cylinder has came off and is holding pressure to the master cylinder. For all 4 wheels to be locked it can only be the master cylinder.
GB
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Wheels locked up Reply with quote

Yeah, I have had the two rear lock up many times due to rain water or washing the wheels and then letting it sit over night and the shoes would rust to the drum, but never the fronts. Got to me master or push-rod related-something is allowing pressure to all 4 or is not allowing pressure to flow back.
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheels locked up Reply with quote

After you fix this issue, may be a good idea to do a brake fluid flush.

From what i've experenced with my many vechicles, doing a brake system fluid flush every few years isnt a bad idea, especially if the car sits any.

Well, I hope it's a simple fix on yours, it does sound like the MC could be the culprit.

T
1966 - Mustang GT- Fastback
1951 - Ford F1 pickup Flathead V8
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheels locked up Reply with quote

This is interesting though....I assume a Thing is dual circuit...Not sure how the master would lock up all 4, but never ran into it before except on a single circuit car....
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: