Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Aufgeladen Ghia
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 44, 45, 46  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Also know that "lowered" balljoints have been modified by removing material thus making them weaker.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Won't be a daily driver... I'll be careful. Thanks for the input.
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Ok, sorted the leaf springs issue on the adjustable beam. Back on all 4s. Just need to adjust the steering stops, then it's time to bleed the brakes. Bought a reservoir that attaches to the master cylinder and does away with the plumbing up to behind the dash.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

After getting everything back together... I think I will be saving up for a Whiteline OTT sway bar. If I drop it anymore, I will be hitting speed bumps for sure. We'll see. Not to worried about it right now. Lots of time to tinker and decide.

VWRESTOMODMAN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

For what its worth I've been there done that with the front sway bar you just installed, and it will make contact with the road for certain as mine did. I had about the same amount of static ground clearance as yours does in the photo and mine made contact passing over the first mild bump in the road, promptly removed it.

You can try it but unless your set up is going to be very firm you will most likely have the same results I did, sorry but just trying to pass along my experience. Mine is a 2" narrowed beam so my spring rates are just slightly stiffer then what it was when it left the factory.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

It leads me to wonder why someone hasn't solved these & several other issues by converting the lower spring pack into a sway bar by making a solid bar & then making a stiffer upper spring pack to suspend the car.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Well, I guess Whiteline doesn't build a 2" narrowed OTT sway bar... Wonder if I were to purchase their stock length, and have the narrowed bar manufactured locally?? I could then use the mounts to put it all together.
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

I bought a tach on eBay from ISPWest, which was nice, but didn't quite look right. I contacted them and they allowed me to trade it in for another...

Original one...

New one, which matches the other gauges better...

xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Also made a one-man-bleeder bottle. Will use this to flush the old fluid out before bleeding all the air.

xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Flushed the brake lines successfully. Got the front brakes bled. Have to adjust the rear shoes still. But so far so good.

Some nasty looking fluid that came out...

c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

You can re-use that. Wink
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

What!? No way is that going back in.
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:51 am    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

It hadn't been flushed in a LONG time... if ever. Just pumping the pedal after filling the new reservoir with fluid caused it to go black. The lines weren't as bad as the master cylinder.
CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

What type of brake fluid ( dot ) are you using ?

1970 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1973 Karmann Ghia Coupe - Project car for sale
1970 Karmann Ghia Convertible (Body off restoration)

Timing is everything
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

DOT 3 High Temperature
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Will more than likely convert to rear disks too... After paint and interior.
CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

xzener wrote:
Will more than likely convert to rear disks too... After paint and interior.

Not sure if it adds all that much to the car's stopping power, along with other braking issues , I will not be doing that to mine.

1970 Karmann Ghia Coupe

Timing is everything
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Braking issues?
CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

xzener wrote:
Braking issues?

Locking up brakes in a panic stop, you don't have ALS. There is a lesser chance with drums in the rear. Just brake fade Smile

1970 Karmann Ghia Coupe

Timing is everything
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

I see... Yeah, that is a concern. I will give that some more thought then.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 44, 45, 46  Next
Jump to:
Page 2 of 46

Jump to: