Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Aufgeladen Ghia
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 44, 45, 46  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Just got back from my painters. He had a couple spray-outs to show me. A Lexus/BMW color, a similar VW, and a trout blue from his supplier. They resprayed the trout blue after trying their own color match technique. It looked nice... But I bought a pint of L330 Trout Blue from TCP Global. A distributor of paint you can think of. Having them spray-out the paint I brought and go from there... If all else fails, 2gal from TCP is MUCH cheaper than their guy. Im close... And very excited!!
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Two Gallons for one (1) Ghia, even a Coupe, is a LOT of paint.

Also with you, the customer, providing materials the shop can claim incompatibility with their primers and such if problems arise.

Most paint brands are a "system" you use together.
You have problems and didn't use brand X's primer with their top coat? Too bad, how sad.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert

Last edited by djkeev on Sat May 05, 2018 10:00 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Better to have too much than too little. 😉
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

I've used tcp paint before, no issues. I'm a huge fan of cheap paint, it allows more enjoyment for me cause I'm not worried about driving the car knowing repairs are reasonable
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

I'm hoping they can color match... We'll see.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

I once had a Miata that was repainted by Maaco.

The shine only lasted about three years. It was HORRIBLE!!!!

I, unlike you, am NOT a fan of cheap paint. The work involved to get ready to paint is not worth the gamble for a few dollars.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

I know synthetic enamel (tractor paint) will fade fast, never had an issue with acrylic enamel or modern urethane paint fading, but yeah, I wouldn't trust Macao. Ive used kirker and tcp urethane with no issues. I'd compare it to the cheap versions of expensive paint like shop line from ppg. Also, since I mostly have former rust buckets, it's less devestating if a rust bubble pops out of nowhere after three years when you haven't spent $1000 just on material
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Hoping for the best... Was happy with my beetles paint job.
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Found myself shopping for interior upholstery... What is the high end material to use, Tweed? What about carpet, is loop the better material to go with? Seats and dash will be custom sewn. Let me know your guys' thoughts.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 3:32 am    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Some like Vinyl, some like leather, some like fabric.

If you like fabric, what kind of fabric do you like?
A tweed, a corduroy, a crushed velour, a happy print, stripes, plaids, etc.

Whatever fabric you like, get a high quality upholstery weave. Any good upholstery shop will have a wall of fabric selections waiting for you to Look at.

I am a fabric guy, I cannot stand Vinyl or Leather on hot Summer days!

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Thanks Dave. Anyone else wanna chime in?
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Well, after about 6 spray outs, I've chosen the color. She's going in for paint on Monday!!
CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

And the color is ?
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Well it isn't trout blue... And am convinced color isn't a definite thing. Two different spray outs of trout blue, neither look similar. He color matched one of them and am happy with the result. Fore ground is my choice. Look at how the color changes with the slightest different angle, looks blue in one angle, and silver the next. This color is gonna make the KG lines and curves POP!!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Inchpincher61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

This will be really nice!!

I am also looking for some kind of blue for my Ghia and I also thought about Trout Blue or Dolphin Blue so I cant wait to see your car painted for further inspiration...
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

And there it goes...

swharris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

xzener wrote:
And there it goes...

You're sending it with your "good"wheels? I usually send it with junky stockers.
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Yeah... Don't have a set of junk Porsche rims. Confused
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Ready for a teaser? Panels ready for reinstallation...

jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

xzener wrote:
Thanks Dave. Anyone else wanna chime in?

I went with fabric. The darker color is sunbrella fabric marketed to the boat and awning people. I bought a sliding ragtop kit and was going to use it for that but the kit was shit so I repurposed the fabric to the interior.

The lighter fabric is actually a Robert Allen fabric for draperies and upholstery.
I wanted to do the dash pad in the sunbrella fabric but it didn’t stretch enough so I used left over headliner material instead.

I went with loop carpeting as well. I’ve had the pile before and the loop is wearing much better.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 44, 45, 46  Next
Jump to:
Page 10 of 46

Jump to: