Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Aufgeladen Ghia
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 44, 45, 46  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Yes... The second picture is what I was wondering about. Minus the ground wire. Is the ground wire even needed then??
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Evil_Fiz wrote:
Aren't you glad you kept all the old, nasty, crusty, discolored OE parts that fit just like they were meant to be there?

-----
Emil

Yes. I've kept everything... Even the stuff I thought I had donated, and found months later after buying NOS. Lol. Thought I donated my old spindles so I bought a pair of late ones, which fit the bigger ball joints. So it worked out in the end. The old wire harness has helped quite a bit so far, finding a lot of miswired (sp) stuff. I guess my horn relay was all messed up. Guess we'll see when I connect the battery.

Here is a picture of the broken connectors...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And here is the original fuse block fixed with Chinese parts...

xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Is this one of those "hard start" relays? After extensive research, it seems as though VW finally got the circuitry correct in the 1968 VW's... Those of you with 68's, do you have a hard start relay? If not... Have you ever had trouble starting your engine?? It's already there... I suppose it wouldn't hurt to hook it up. Just wondering how others feel about this thing.

rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

I had a hard start relay made from a vendor here on The Samba, and am told it is the way to go, especially if updating your wiring system. From all the threads I have read, everyone seemed positive about this type of circuit. I mentioned this to my friend who is a Navy Helo Pilot and Avionics Engineer, and he swears by relays since they don't require you to use a bunch of juice to get circuits to work. You don't absolutely need it, but like me, if you are rebuilding and updating, may as well take advantage of some modern updates. My thoughts only.

Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Thanks Jeff. How are things going with your build. Working on the harness?
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Still waiting the return of my Ghia. I have been too busy to contact the painter, possibly tomorrow. Should be done by now...will keep all posted!

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Trying to wrap my brain around this one... I have a brown wire coming from the steering column (not the horn wire). I labeled it "wiper" without a connection number. I think it goes to pin #31 on the wiper switch, according to the 68 diagram. What the heck does this wire do??

KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

xzener wrote:
Trying to wrap my brain around this one... I have a brown wire coming from the steering column (not the horn wire). I labeled it "wiper" without a connection number. I think it goes to pin #31 on the wiper switch, according to the 68 diagram. What the heck does this wire do??

If I'm not mistaken, all Brown wires found in any Karmann Ghia wiring harness are either directly or indirectly connected to electrical Ground.

I also believe that some of the circuits are energized (receiving Power) at all times, and are actually turned "On" and "Off" by the competion to/breaking of a connection to Ground.

I'll take an (arguably) educated guess that the Brown wire in question is providing electrical Ground as required to the Headlight Highbeam microswitch mounted on the back side of the turn signal lever.
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Thanks... Now it makes sense. The 68 and 70 diagrams show this terminating in different places, but after looking at the 70s, like you said, it looks to be connected to a series of ground terminations. The 68 goes right to pin 31 on the wiper switch. Either way, it should be fine I guess.
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Forgot to rewire the red wire from the regulator bypass to the battery... the voltage was not making it to the fuse panel. Woops! But, after running the proper wire... IT'S ALIVE!!! I have turn signals, brake lights, and hazards. Have not tested anything else, but am very happy with the results so far. Very Happy
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

xzener wrote:
... IT'S ALIVE!!! I have turn signals, brake lights, and hazards. Very Happy
...let there be light. WOOHOO!

See my build on TheSamba at:
The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Ugh... Freaking wiper wiring is kicking my arse. I think I have narrowed it down to a bad switch. Got one on order, guess we'll have to wait and see. Everytime I try and connect the motor to ground, it wants to arc weld.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

You probably have something wired incorrectly, the switch is just a pass through, not a consumer.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Going by this switch test... It had voltage when it wasn't supposed to.

c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Cant you run the wiper motor with just 12 volts and a ground? take switch out of the equation.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Yes, I did... And the motor seems fine. The switch isn't working correctly.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Try spraying it down with a contact cleaner. You may need to open it up. If it works you get to keep original switch Smile
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Would have to drill out the rivets... Would be afraid I couldn't get it back together. Have a new switch on the way. Not too worried about not having original switches... The ignition has already been swapped out. Same key hole though. Very Happy
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

xzener wrote:
Would have to drill out the rivets... Would be afraid I couldn't get it back together. Have a new switch on the way. Not too worried about not having original switches... The ignition has already been swapped out. Same key hole though. Very Happy

Hell, thats exactly why I would open it up. (new one on the way). Smile
Most parts, if you can get the original working it will outlast a "replacement".
swavananda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Maybe to late, But the Cole-Hersey wiper switch is an nice upgrade with a intermittent feature and a built in washer control.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=566840&highlight=cole
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 44, 45, 46  Next
Jump to:
Page 14 of 46

Jump to: