Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Aufgeladen Ghia
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 44, 45, 46  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

xzener wrote:
Trying to wrap my brain around this one... I have a brown wire coming from the steering column (not the horn wire). I labeled it "wiper" without a connection number. I think it goes to pin #31 on the wiper switch, according to the 68 diagram. What the heck does this wire do??

Thanks KGCoupe! Turns out, it IS the ground for the steering column that finishes the connection for the high beam. The diagram makes it confusing... Got it working though. Cool
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Minus the wipers, all other items working properly. Headlights, running lights, turn signals, brake lights, dome lights, starter... Just need to run a wire for the tach. I can then get the car turned around and put the engine in. Might be running in the next month or so. Then... Interior. By far my least favorite part.
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Ok, so still having issues with wiring the wiper motor and switch. The closest diagram I've found is this one for a 68-69 Ghia. Still confused with the multiple grounds. The motor only has pins 31, 31b, 53, and 53b. This diagram shows the motor having a ground strap (4)... I thought the motor assembly was supposed to be completely separate from ground?? The switch seems to show 53a connecting to both black/red and black/yellow wires, but different pins on the motor which it doesn't indicate which one goes where?? Looking at the second photo below, it shows 53a and 53b on the switch connecting separately... Or is it both connecting to pin 53a, while 53b goes to ground??

https://blurts.me/volkswagen-wiring-diagrams.html/...-diagrams/
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

https://www.google.com/search?client=ms-android-ve...isNow4OAM:

jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

This is how my 70 wiper is connected.
Hopefully you can decipher my chicken scratch.
I mistakenly labeled it H/L switch and scratch a W over it for wiper switch.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Thanks Jeffrey8164... Had to make my own chicken scratch though. Wink

Ok, after extensive bench testing... I've come to an embarrassing (but concerning) conclusion. Have it working with the obvious connections.

Switch Motor
53a - 53a
53 - 53
53b - 53b
31b - 31b

I have full left = off/park. One click right = slow. 2 clicks right = fast.

But, the concerning question is... I am touching negative to ground (motor frame) for it to work. I thought this setup was to have the motor/frame isolated from ground?? Am I doing something wrong?? My last posted image shows a (4) next to the motor. Going by the legend, (4) is a ground strap. Can someone verify this with me... Is the motor/frame grounded??

BTW, this is the original switch Darrel. 😃 Oh... And the switch test picture posted on the previous page, disregard. Not for a 68 KG and will lead to buying a new switch. 😄

Thanks!!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

The only ground is the chassis ground. There is no ground "strap".
That 5th connector with no label is the chassis ground lug. It just ties in with the rest of the brown chassis grounds under the hood.
Maybe my 70 is a little different as I don't have anything on 31b and my 53a's and b's swap from the switch to the motor but I've never seen any other ground on the wiper motor except that common brown.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

With the switch pin 30 to the fuse block, and the wiper assembly secured WITH connection to ground... Everything is working correctly. Pin 31 on switch is not connected to anything at the moment.
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Waiting for some more clarification above.

Moving on... How the heck do you get the headlight ring installed over these seals?!?! I bought them from CIP1. They seem to be too fat for the ring to grip the tab on top of the bucket. Anyone have any pointers??

Thanks guys!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Hey if it works, it works.
As for the seals, I can’t speak to the ones from CIP1. All my seals are West Coast Metric. They did require a little finesse. I had one original ring and one aftermarket. The aftermarket ring gave the most resistance. I had to trim the gasket down to fit.
I’d post a picture but all that is apart at the moment.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Probably several threads and conversations about this seal. one...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=253215&highlight=headlight+seal

I ended up leaving them off. Shocked Embarassed
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Now that electrical has been verified working, thought I'd get a few exterior items done. Headlights and fresh air intakes in place. Searching for the screws to get them in permanently. The headlight seals are a pain. Used the original seals for the air intakes.

Here is the side badge...

xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Got the headlights and air intakes mounted. Got the rest of the rubber installed on the front bumper, ready for install.

kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Great thread to follow, thanks. I like those wheels.
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:
Great thread to follow, thanks. I like those wheels.

Indeed, X2!

Those wheels are as beautiful as the color that you chose for the body.

... now don't blow it by putting togather a sub-par interior.
No pressure, though. Wink
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Thanks guys. The color of the wheels had a lot to do with the exterior color I chose. Will be pulling it out of the garage for a wash later this week. Will get some pictures of it in the sun.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Embarassed
I am just realizing you have shaved your turn signals. I either have not been paying attention or my memory is just bad. Smile
Car is looking good!!
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Haha! Yes... She's shaved. That and the drivers side mirror, radio antenna, and cigarette lighter holes too. Cool I plan on installing headlights with turn signals, just haven't found the perfect ones yet.
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Wow... What a sexy nose.

CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Looks amazing !

What color will the interior be ?
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Ugh... I was hoping no one would ask. I don't know. 🤪 I was pondering Grey's and blues. Need to figure it out, gonna need a headliner soon.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 44, 45, 46  Next
Jump to:
Page 15 of 46

Jump to: