Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Aufgeladen Ghia
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 44, 45, 46  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

xzener wrote:
Ugh... I was hoping no one would ask. I don't know. 🤪 I was pondering Grey's and blues. Need to figure it out, gonna need a headliner soon.

Very tough decisions coming up, I think. Not black, please! Not my car, but I would go for blue.

I took weeks before I decided. I put colour sheets of the paint next to samples of the carpets and upholstery before I asked my wife to tell me the best combination. (Women, for some reason reflected in their multiple purchases of shoes and handbags, somehow see colour better than we do.)

Just saying. Help is close by.
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Going to try my luck at custom brake/running/turn signal lights. Just ordered 100 LEDs, a dimmer module, and capacitors from illumaesthetic.com. Will likely buy a used crappy lens to mock everything up. Will post some progress pics when I get started, probably next week.

Oh, and am about to mount the rear bumper. Cool
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:17 am    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

When you do the bumper, build it up on the car rather than putting it all up in one go. I tried the latter method and it was so difficult to handle. I was worried about scratching the paint. Its far easier to deal with it piece by piece

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

I left some of the hardware loose when I installed the front and tightened it all up after I got it in place. Seemed to work out well. Plus I taped the crap out of the tips. Got it installed no problem. The rear bumper is much heavier. I will keep that in mind, thanks Nicholas.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Quote:
Going to try my luck at custom brake/running/turn signal lights. Just ordered 100 LEDs, a dimmer module, and capacitors from illumaesthetic.com.

Damn, you are just a glutton for punishment arnt ya. Wink
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Either that... Or I'm avoiding the inevitable. Shocked
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Ok... Enough procrastinating. I've chosen, and will order soon, a headliner. Since all my accents (knobs, steering wheel, etc) are black, going with a charcoal Tweed headliner, charcoal carpet, and will bring color into the interior with seats and panels. Now to figure out the color. Shocked
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
Quote:
Going to try my luck at custom brake/running/turn signal lights. Just ordered 100 LEDs, a dimmer module, and capacitors from illumaesthetic.com.

NOPE, I will eventually be doing the same thing. I bought a distressed tail light lens from Scotty Timmerman here on TS. My plan is to use the lens as a mold to vacuum form a new lens out of polycarbonaye. If all goes well it will be a double ring of red LEDs following the perimeter and 3 high power LEDs in the center as backup lights. I think it will add a nice touch to the car and greatly improve safety.
@xzener: Feel free to ping me or bounce ideas of me. I'd love to help.
Popcorn

See my build on TheSamba at:
The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Evil_Fiz wrote:
c21darrel wrote:
Quote:

NOPE, I will eventually be doing the same thing. I bought a distressed tail light lens from Scotty Timmerman here on TS. My plan is to use the lens as a mold to vacuum form a new lens out of polycarbonaye. If all goes well it will be a double ring of red LEDs following the perimeter and 3 high power LEDs in the center as backup lights. I think it will add a nice touch to the car and greatly improve safety.
@xzener: Feel free to ping me or bounce ideas of me. I'd love to help.
Popcorn

I needed to ask Xzener...Evil, I already know you sir are certainly a glutton for punishment. Wink
Looking forward to see what you guys come up with.
Keep the forward motion gentleman!!
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Sounds great Emil! Question... Are there different colors of polycarbonaye, or is it just clear? I'm simply going to use the same lenses for now. Keeping it simple with running/brake/turn signal lights. Will still use the stock reverse light fixtures on the rear bumper for now.
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

xzener wrote:
Sounds great Emil! Question... Are there different colors of polycarbonate, or is it just clear?...
I am not sure. A quick Google search did not turn up anything useful. My wife's CR-V has red lens sections in the tail lights so I imagine it is available somewhere. My intention is to use clear poly with red LEDs and cover the PCB the LEDs sit on in red prismatic reflective tape/adhesive sheet. This way I comply with the DOT reflectivity requirement and get the most light transition from the tail lights. Yup, easier said than done.

-----
Emil

See my build on TheSamba at:
The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Ok, so... Carpet. Footrest or no footrest. What do you guys prefer?? I have the old footrest, just needs some sanding and paint.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

IIRC, there is 2 types of front pass carpet. One with the footrest, and one with out. The "footrest" carpet wont sit correctly w/o footrest and the reverse. Be sure to order the right one.
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

That's why I was asking for your guys' preference... Footrest or no footrest. I can go either way, just looking for input.
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

I vote with the footrest, you can always fold the extra material under if u want to switch things up
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

I roll WITH the footrest now. In my fist ghia, like 1980...I went w/o, I didn't even know it should have one. Embarassed
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Got a little bored tonight and decided to design the circuitry for the LED tail lights. After finding my DMM was dead (leave it on all the time, such a ding bat), went to the store for a 9V battery, broke a wire Confused , soldered it back on... finally able to wire one of these up. Man, these things are BRITE!! Cool going to do groups of 3 with a 120 ohm resistor. Might even go ahead and do the reverse lights two. Instant on, instant off = very nice. Will post more pictures if I make any head way tomorrow.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Damn, was hoping it would be the start of your write up on how to install the headliner...ha just messing with ya. I like the LED idea, might have to copy that too
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

I will be going with TMI's light grey headliner for sure... Will be ordering it in the next couple days.

If anyone has a tail light assembly and lens they would like to donate to the LED cause, please let me know. I will pay for shipping... And hook you up with some cool LED tail lights if all goes well.
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Haha... I know I'm all over the place, but trust me... It's for a really good reason. So, went back to through rods and Monroe air shocks. Because...

I bought an Accuair E-Level air management system! Very excited. Been saving up and keeping an eye out. Finally found a setup for a fraction of the actual cost. $650 as opposed to the MSRP of around $1500+. Man what a deal. Can't wait to get it all setup... Oh, and yeah, will be bagging the rear now. Cool
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 44, 45, 46  Next
Jump to:
Page 16 of 46

Jump to: