Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Aufgeladen Ghia
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 44, 45, 46  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Take a stroll over to http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=127619 and look at the Ghia Road Course setup thread and some of the related brake setup threads from FJCamper and Pyledriver. You will get a lot of good information about getting four wheel disks to work properly. You will need one of the many PhotoBucket hacks to see all the pictures.

See my build on TheSamba at:
The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Thanks Evil_Fiz, that will come in handy. So, I think the next couple purchases will be to regain what I lost in the rear when I tore the Z-Bar out. I know it's not related, but a truss bar... And then a rear sway bar of some sort. Whether it's a camber compensator or an actual sway bar, that's the question... Does anyone have experience with either one of those??
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

xzener wrote:
...Whether it's a camber compensator or an actual sway bar, that's the question... Does anyone have experience with either one of those??
I can't stress the value of the "Ghia Road Course setup" thread enough. I have read through it at least 5 times and I pick up something new every time. This link to the "Race Prep The Swing Axle" section of the thread Will answer most if not all of your questions.

See my build on TheSamba at:
The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

So after removing the steering column/shaft, it seems as though removing the bolts that attaches the column to the dash, and the two bolts from the steering bushing... The whole thing would slide out, steering wheel and all... Is this not the case??

I've sanded down the column and repainted, also replaced the bearing... Would like it to be easily removed when the car is painted.
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Anyone have any idea what color this 56 Ghia has?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

xzener wrote:
Anyone have any idea what color this 56 Ghia has?

Looks like Trout Blue (L330)
This is a "theghiagirl" picture from the Gallery...

Difficult to be sure...these metallics look slightly different in every picture.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Thanks John. Looked through the paint code threads, but didn't see trout blue. What a beautiful color.
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Buying all the parts needed to do the alternator conversion... Do I need a certain backing plate, or will my original pieces work??

Got my purchase finger hovering over the buy now button on this... Is this what I need?? It's an Alt/Gen backing plate.

didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

xzener wrote:
Also made a one-man-bleeder bottle. Will use this to flush the old fluid out before bleeding all the air.

I flush the hard lines completely with Alcohol, then blow air through them, then use fresh fluid & a Mighty Vac to draw the fluid through on a one-man operation. I don't do the pump-pump-pump the pedal to bleed the lines.
At the very end, I do use an assistant to help push the pedal for final bleed, but I don't bottom-out the pedal.

bryan
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

xzener wrote:
Buying all the parts needed to do the alternator conversion... Do I need a certain backing plate, or will my original pieces work??

Got my purchase finger hovering over the buy now button on this... Is this what I need?? It's an Alt/Gen backing plate.

Reuse your original or find an original one, much better quality.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Inchpincher61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Its definitely Trout Blue L330

xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

didget69 wrote:
xzener wrote:
Also made a one-man-bleeder bottle. Will use this to flush the old fluid out before bleeding all the air.

I flush the hard lines completely with Alcohol, then blow air through them, then use fresh fluid & a Mighty Vac to draw the fluid through on a one-man operation. I don't do the pump-pump-pump the pedal to bleed the lines.
At the very end, I do use an assistant to help push the pedal for final bleed, but I don't bottom-out the pedal.

bryan

Yeah, I ended up using a vac pump too, but simply kept flushing until the fluid was clean. Would have been a good idea to blow them out with compressed air as you did... Maybe next time... I'll put some mileage on it first.
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Inchpincher61 wrote:
Its definitely Trout Blue L330

Thanks Inchpincher... That's a beautiful car. Yours?
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
xzener wrote:

Reuse your original or find an original one, much better quality.

Thanks TDCTDI! Peeled my finger off the buy now button until I got a response. I will reuse my original.
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Received my early style dog house shroud today. Decided to buy from a forum member... Should have just bought a new Scat or EMPI one. This thing is falling apart. All the spot welds for the inner air foils we're shotty. Nothing a little JBWeld can't fix. Probably gonna end up painting it the exterior color. Will get it sanded and prepped.

On a side note... Went to the doctor a couple weeks ago, asked to be put on Chantix. I made a deal with myself... Can't paint the car until I quit smoking. Well, it's been over a week since my last cigarette. Looks as though I will be getting some quotes here soon. Very excited.
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Been shopping for a wire harness. Seems as though the early 68 harness isn't listed. I have read that the harness on an early 68 is different than a later 68. Mine had the huge flasher/emergency relay ($65) when I pulled all the electrical out. I'm guessing the 68-69 harness is what I should get... But would I be better off with a 67... Or even a 70-71?? What are the differences??
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

xzener wrote:
Been shopping for a wire harness. Seems as though the early 68 harness isn't listed. I have read that the harness on an early 68 is different than a later 68. Mine had the huge flasher/emergency relay ($65) when I pulled all the electrical out. I'm guessing the 68-69 harness is what I should get... But would I be better off with a 67... Or even a 70-71?? What are the differences??

Speaking as someone who had to rewire a '68 using the original wiring loom, and one that had that 9-pin relay to boot, I would suggest that you stick with the 9-pin system if you can. I didn't, and now cannot match my wiring to the diagram.

(I have 3 of those 9-pins to spare, and will place them on Darrel's thread if you don't want them. One has been tested and works. The other two I don't know.)

PS. Would you mind detailing your alternator conversion so that I can follow and do the same on the motor I'm building please?
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

That would be great Kiwighia68! Mine was not working when I pulled it out if the car. I kept it in case I needed it as an example, but have found it on multiple sites... $65 is very expensive for what it is. And am reluctant to buy used. If you have one you know works, I will take it for sure.

I will document the conversion... Will be relocating the battery too. But won't be able to wire it all up till after the car is painted and get the harness in.
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

xzener wrote:
That would be great Kiwighia68! Mine was not working when I pulled it out if the car. I kept it in case I needed it as an example, but have found it on multiple sites... $65 is very expensive for what it is. And am reluctant to buy used. If you have one you know works, I will take it for sure.

I will document the conversion... Will be relocating the battery too. But won't be able to wire it all up till after the car is painted and get the harness in.

PM your address and I'll post them tomorrow. Pay it forward to someone else when you get the opportunity.
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Of course... Thanks man!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 44, 45, 46  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 46

Jump to: