Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Aufgeladen Ghia
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 44, 45, 46  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Thanks KGCoupe! Still have yet to properly capture the color the naked eye sees. My recent pictures make it look very grey. Its blue/green with the naked eye. Have to agree with you, I also love the stance. Seems as though the spring plates have been adjusted, as the passenger side is lower. Will probably ignore it till I save up and install the rear air ride stuff. Will be removing the torsion bars at that point.

Now its time to stop procrastinating and get the windows done. By far my least favorite part of the build. Started in on the front windshield. The PO had purchased "American" style rubber (which I thought was Cal Look), turns out I had it on backwards, and the groove for the metal trim was there. So, I will be buying more rubber. Also need to purchase some windlace and get that going.
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

I don't think you'll have much trouble with the cal look rubber. The American aftermarket rubber with trim made me want to burn the car to the ground
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Oh... Yeah... I was getting so pissed. As I rounded the third corner, I didn't have enough slack to get around the forth and had to start over. As I went along, the other side would slip off... Just to find out it was all for not. There were MANY cuss words being blasted. I'm sure the neighbors heard.
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

I have a Grant GT Signature series wheel mounted. The turnsignal cancellation isn't working as it should. My front end has been completely rebuilt, 2 inch narrowed beam with 17" rims. When I turn left or right, the turnsignal is not turning off after completing the turn. It works fine in the garage, so I assume the wheel is not being turned enough to cancel the signal. Has anyone ever experienced this?? If so, is there a way to fix it?? Thanks.
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

myghiarocks wrote:
Take the six screws out of the sender, pull it out and ground it. Then try moving the arm up and down and see what the gauge does.

That is how I diagnosed a bad sender unit in mine.

Pulled the sending unit out of the tank. Using a multimeter, I tested the resistance from the chassis, to the connector while tipping the cylinder allowing the float to travel up the shaft. There was no visible change in resistance. Reinstalled and gave the chassis a better ground. Didn't seem to have any effect. Went for a spin around the block and noticed the gas gauge needle bouncing around, but not past 1/4 tank. Parked it, allowed the fuel to settle, and turned the key. Now it reads 1/8th of a tank, but is intermittent. Turned the key a few times, wouldn't work a couple times without me tapping on the gauge. Having a hard time troubleshooting it down to the problem, but am leaning towards the gauge now.
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Got the front wind shield in. Love the Cal look rubber from WCM. Was going in just fine by myself, had a neighbor (fellow VW enthusiast) help with the rest.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Wasn't happy with the original license plate bracket that came with the car. It didn't fit correctly. So, I made my own. Have since painted it black and installed it. Works perfectly.

Last edited by xzener on Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Good deal IRT the window rubber, I've always like the cal-look rubber with modernized looking ghia's.
I bought a aftermarket license plate bracket, ended up re-contouring it to keep the plate off the new paint
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

So my wiper arms don't match. One has a nut that tightens to the shaft under the blade, the other tightens off to the side. Kiwighia68 was kind enough to let me know the nut under the blade was correct. But he said the length of the arms should be 10.5 and 11.5 inch. My supposed correct one is only 9.5 inch. Would the 67 beetle ones work, or are they shorter than Ghias??

https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC-113-955-407-DPR
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

A couple photos as promised. I see a rubber grommet, a stainless steel washer and a brass washer (13mm maybe) on the wiper shaft. At least one of the photos will show the internal mechanisms of the arm.

xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Strange... You'd think there would be a grommet or something to cover the gasket/nut. It looks unfinished. The Germans couldn't have forgotten that. I will probably find something that will cover those. Your wouldn't happen to have a part number for those arms would ya? Thanks Kiwighia68.
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

xzener wrote:
Strange... You'd think there would be a grommet or something to cover the gasket/nut. It looks unfinished. The Germans couldn't have forgotten that. I will probably find something that will cover those. Your wouldn't happen to have a part number for those arms would ya? Thanks Kiwighia68.

Sorry, but I don't have a part number. I'd like to see what you do for a cover over the brass nut and then I'm going to copy your solution. (Unless you take out a patent.)
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Already have an idea of what to do... Stay tuned. Cool
advCo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

IIRC my '70 had a plastic cap covering the grommet and nut...

I'll find it this evening and edit this post with a pic. Could probably be 3d printed pretty easily.
A bunch of vintage Japanese motorcycles
"Much ingenuity with a little money is vastly more profitable and amusing than much money without ingenuity." -A. Bennett
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:

You're begging to score the windshield with this wiper blade insert not being fully seated/secured in the assembly.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
kiwighia68 wrote:

You're begging to score the windshield with this wiper blade insert not being fully seated/secured in the assembly.

Thanks. I'll fix that now.

With the weather here, you either drive your Ghia in the rain or not at all. Four seasons in one day describes Auckland's weather.
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Ok, so I think this might work. Otherwise I have another idea... It's a bolt cap. I removed the metal piece and drilled a hole in it. Done. Waiting for the wiper arm paint to dry.

kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

xzener wrote:
Ok, so I think this might work. Otherwise I have another idea... It's a bolt cap. I removed the metal piece and drilled a hole in it. Done. Waiting for the wiper arm paint to dry.

Good work. I'm following suit.
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Done. Looks better than the bare hardware look, and it's fully functional.

xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

So with all the odds and ends getting done, been installing the air compressor permanently in the spare tire area... Out of sight, out of mind. I'm going to cut a tire in half to place on top of the air ride setup to completely hide it. Also contemplating installing the control pad in the ash tray some how.

Edit:
Ash tray air ride controller update. Man... VW made these ash trays nearly invincible. Was able to modify the tray to allow the controller to sit almost flush. Have some tweaking to do, but I'm happy with the results so far.

Last edited by xzener on Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Driver side popout window done and functional... Probably gonna follow suit with Kiwighia68 and leave them closed.

On the passenger side though, is there anything I can do to fix the dent/bend in the weather stripping?? I could probably shove some cotton down into the corner to help it mold to the corner better. Has anyone else fixed theirs in a similar fashion??

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 44, 45, 46  Next
Jump to:
Page 21 of 46

Jump to: