Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Aufgeladen Ghia
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 44, 45, 46  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

I figured he must have been in the testing phase in case he had to disconnect quickly in case of meltdown. I just appreciated the pic, but in no way would have used the wire nuts......I've learned enough about getting slammed in these forums!

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Yeah... I have an intense dislike for those too. Get a proper crimp tool and a box of uninsulated crimp lugs... the ones that grip the insulation AND the wire.... Just like VW used. You'll get through them all soon enough fixing failed insulated crimps and wire nuts.

from a previous post
You can get connectors here...
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1987285

And this crimp tool...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Then you can make as many repairs as you want AND be doing the job properly

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Last edited by sputnick60 on Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:28 am; edited 1 time in total
crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
Cough, Cough...Huh?
Can one use wire nuts in automotive? 24 hours, Surprised no one called you out on that one. Go put those back in the house electric repair box and get back to automotive wiring your ghia. Idea Smile
Splice like NASA and you'll be ready for space travel Cool https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-ymw7d_nYo
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

crocteau wrote:
c21darrel wrote:
Cough, Cough...Huh?
Can one use wire nuts in automotive? 24 hours, Surprised no one called you out on that one. Go put those back in the house electric repair box and get back to automotive wiring your ghia. Idea Smile
Splice like NASA and you'll be ready for space travel Cool https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-ymw7d_nYo

What??? no shrink tube?? Shocked Very Happy
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Wow... You guys are brutal. Confused
crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
Laughing I'm not aware of space-related tube shrinkage. Laughing Epoxy-based sealant and duct tape are the current standard aboard the ISS where zero humidity, a dearth of chloride ions, and the lack of oxygen obviate a microenviornment that could give rise to galvanic corrosion. Of course SnPb solder can be used, but an airless environment may favor the use of less active fluxes with SnZn solder. In space no one will hear the screams anyway. Wink
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

crocteau wrote:
c21darrel wrote:
Laughing I'm not aware of space-related tube shrinkage. Laughing Epoxy-based sealant and duct tape are the current standard aboard the ISS where zero humidity, a dearth of chloride ions, and the lack of oxygen obviate a microenviornment that could give rise to galvanic corrosion. Of course SnPb solder can be used, but an airless environment may favor the use of less active fluxes with SnZn solder. In space no one will hear the screams anyway. Wink
OOOOH, look at the kitty.
I think I understood that Embarassed

See my build on TheSamba at:
The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Kiwighia68,

You spoke of Texton board... Do you recall the thickness you used. I think I will follow suit and make my own kick panels. This stuff seems hard to find, most suppliers have a 1000 sheet minimum order.
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Finally have Newton straitened out... They created new pieces for me, but were the wrong color. Caught it before shipment. The emailed me today and said they should be done either today or tomorrow and send them off.

Also, got the interior swatch color issue sorted... I originally ordered a charcoal headliner. Turns out the sent me light grey. Which I'm totally cool with. Ordered the yardage to have my seats upholstered.

I'm sooo close to having this car done. What a stressful last couple week though. Confused
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Time to make some windlace. Cool

xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

So far so good. Gluing it down, and will follow up with a couple screws.

jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Windlace huh?
I have those still waiting to be installed after many years. I'm missing the little semi-triangular pieces that hold it down near the bottom of the door.
I know I used to have them but I couldn't find them when I looked and they haven't magically appeared in the last 12 years so I assume they are lost.

I should probably just make some.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Which reminds me... Need to find mine and get a fresh coat of paint on them.
crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Nine job on the windlace!

xzener wrote:
Which reminds me... Need to find mine and get a fresh coat of paint on them.
Just curious, do you plan to use tacks or screws to hold them in place?
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Was thinking screws with cloth washers... But those tack/nails VW originally used were super tight.
crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

xzener wrote:
Was thinking screws with cloth washers...
Agree. I used screws due to uncertainty in how tight the original tacks could be after the abuse of being prised out. I recall Vince noting that he had seen the anchoring platelets mounted under as well as over the carpet, but I put mine back as they had been (under the carpet).
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Most of my tacks we cutoff with my Dremel. Was thinking something similar to these. Although a plain flat washer should work just fine. We'll see what my local Ace store has to offer.

kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

xzener wrote:
Most of my tacks we cutoff with my Dremel. Was thinking something similar to these. Although a plain flat washer should work just fine. We'll see what my local Ace store has to offer.

Careful with those - the washers will cut into the vinyl. I used a self tapping screw with a fixed flat washer. No pic, sorry. (The "washer" is part of the screw.)
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Yeah, was just throwing up a picture to show what I "might" use. Self tapping screw and a washer seems like plenty to me. Although, a nail head is much shallower than a screw head. Beings how the door panel will be installed over the top of these, I'm starting to think nails are the best option. They need to be close to flush I would think... But if you used self taping screws and a washer Chris... I'd like to see a picture of your panel to see how flush it is.
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

xzener wrote:
Yeah, was just throwing up a picture to show what I "might" use. Self tapping screw and a washer seems like plenty to me. Although, a nail head is much shallower than a screw head. Beings how the door panel will be installed over the top of these, I'm starting to think nails are the best option. They need to be close to flush I would think... But if you used self taping screws and a washer Chris... I'd like to see a picture of your panel to see how flush it is.

My car is not back from the service centre yet. I'll see what I can do.I've got a handful of those nails somewhere. I could send them on if you want them.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 44, 45, 46  Next
Jump to:
Page 25 of 46

Jump to: