Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Aufgeladen Ghia
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 44, 45, 46  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

That's OK Chris... You've hooked me up many times now. I need to help you out. Wink I will figure something out. May just wait until I get the panels and see which way I should go.
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Are these the type of nails/tacks you are talking about?

https://www.amazon.com/National-Hardware-N277-798-...tery+nails

They look similar to what I found all over the interior of my Ghia, and what I recall my dad using when he was installing upholstery into multiple Aircooler's.

I ripped a few knees and fingers open tearing out all the old interior in Bugs and Ghia's when I was a kid.
Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

rbsurfguy wrote:
Are these the type of nails/tacks you are talking about?

https://www.amazon.com/National-Hardware-N277-798-...tery+nails

They look similar to what I found all over the interior of my Ghia, and what I recall my dad using when he was installing upholstery into multiple Aircooler's.

I ripped a few knees and fingers open tearing out all the old interior in Bugs and Ghia's when I was a kid.
Jeff

No. The ones I was able to successfully remove were nails yes, but had a screw type look to them. Similar to these (gonna go ahead and buy these)... https://www.jbugs.com/product/111-600.html
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Ahh yes, just sent shivers down me spine!!!

Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

For what it's worth...
I removed these:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

and here's a look before using a drill bit to open the holes for countersinking:
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: The Outlaw Ghia Build Thread Reply with quote

Finally chose a name for my Ghia... Introducing, "The Outlaw Ghia". Twisted Evil
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: The Outlaw Ghia Build Thread Reply with quote

Hellbender would have been my choice. Laughing

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: The Outlaw Ghia Build Thread Reply with quote

Finished sewing the last of the windlace. Painted the mounting plates and just about ready for installation. Still waiting on the carpet pieces I had remade. So close to carpet going in.

xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: The Outlaw Ghia Build Thread Reply with quote

Also... Just received my new Sawtooth skid plate from Limebug. Should help ease my anxiety going over speed bumps.

rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: The Outlaw Ghia Build Thread Reply with quote

Never seen that, where exactly do you mount the skid plate? I just like the look of the thing, looks like it can take a hit!

xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: The Outlaw Ghia Build Thread Reply with quote

It attaches to the bottom bolts on the beam and protects the undercarriage from damage. Also will relieve strain on my ball joints... When the front end is completely lowered, the beam is still about 1/2 inch off ground. I think its bottoming out the ball joints before fully laying down.

xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: The Outlaw Ghia Build Thread Reply with quote

… and makes for a cool fire works display coming out that back of the car if I so choose. Cool
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: The Outlaw Ghia Build Thread Reply with quote

xzener wrote:
… and makes for a cool fire works display coming out that back of the car if I so choose. Cool

The magnesium case causes much cooler displays, drop the rear first> Twisted Evil

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: The Outlaw Ghia Build Thread Reply with quote

HAHA! And almost impossible to put out too.
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:

Cough, Cough...Huh?
Can one use wire nuts in automotive? 24 hours, Surprised no one called you out on that one. Go put those back in the house electric repair box and get back to automotive wiring your ghia. Idea Smile

The wiring looks too professional. Needs more Scotchlock connectors & electrical tape...

Bryan
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: The Outlaw Ghia Build Thread Reply with quote

xzener wrote:
It attaches to the bottom bolts on the beam and protects the undercarriage from damage. Also will relieve strain on my ball joints... When the front end is completely lowered, the beam is still about 1/2 inch off ground. I think its bottoming out the ball joints before fully laying down.

The first good pothole that you hit at speed while running in lowered mode will finish clearancing the ball joints.

Laughing

Bryan
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: The Outlaw Ghia Build Thread Reply with quote

xzener wrote:
HAHA! And almost impossible to put out too.

Just be sure to use LOTS of water. Twisted Evil

xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: The Outlaw Ghia Build Thread Reply with quote

Windlace... Done!!! Time for carpeting!!! Very Happy

xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: The Outlaw Ghia Build Thread Reply with quote

But, haven't gotten the reworked pieces from Newton. Sooo.... Front skid plate and rear air ride suspension will be installed next. Should get the freshly powder coated pieces tomorrow. This weekend.... It's on!!

xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: The Outlaw Ghia Build Thread Reply with quote

Here is the reason for the skid plate. This is with the air completely out... By no means am I going to drive this way, but accidents do happen. If I were to loose pressure, the beam will hit the ground. The skid plate will ensure I slow down and safely drive to the shoulder for repair or rescue.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 44, 45, 46  Next
Jump to:
Page 26 of 46

Jump to: