Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Aufgeladen Ghia
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 44, 45, 46  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: The Outlaw Ghia Build Thread Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words KGCoupe. And I take your helpful considerations to heart. I may one day go back to the stock windshield chrome trim. But for now, as a personal preference, I do like the cal look. I've even considered blacking out the B pillars and popout window lower trim. We'll see. Again thanks for the input.
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: The Outlaw Ghia Build Thread Reply with quote

Carpeting is done. Door panels should be here any day now. Now to perfect those moisture barrier skins, don't like how they turned out.
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: The Outlaw Ghia Build Thread Reply with quote

So I bought a replacement lens for my rear view mirror. Cleaned up the contacts, but the mirror base has an open in one of the connectors. One of the contacts inside the base where the lens plugs in looks pushed in slightly. Not sure how these we built. Has anyone ever had to fix one of these? Or should I just buy a replacement mirror??

EDIT: Fixed. Drilled a hole down the center and forced a through rod into it. I now have a short from the connector to the lamp cover contact. Tested, 12v with door open, 0v with it closed. Just waiting on the LED bulb I purchased.
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: The Outlaw Ghia Build Thread Reply with quote

Received my door panels. They turned out really nice. Will install them over the weekend. The panels have 4 holes punched (but not removed) for the arm rests. Any idea which ones are to be used on a 68 door??
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: The Outlaw Ghia Build Thread Reply with quote

There are and were so many different door pulls on ghias, go with the basic rule.
Use the door pulls you have and....Measure twice punch holes once. Smile
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: The Outlaw Ghia Build Thread Reply with quote

Door panels are installed. Now all that is left is seat upholstery... Uh, and the window/door seals. Wow, can't believe this is finally coming to an end.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: The Outlaw Ghia Build Thread Reply with quote

It looks AMAZING dude.
You should be very proud.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: The Outlaw Ghia Build Thread Reply with quote

Thanks Jeff!
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: The Outlaw Ghia Build Thread Reply with quote

Whoa! Where'd my seats go??

Wink
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: The Outlaw Ghia Build Thread Reply with quote

Finally figured out why the horn was only working occasionally. The button had a bad ground. Now the horn works every time. Also fixed all the bad grounds on the instrument lighting. Those plastic bulb holders are terrible. Bought a bunch of sockets. I plan on modifying the speedo and gas gauge to accept these eventually...

Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: The Outlaw Ghia Build Thread Reply with quote

Popcorn whatever solution you come up with for the shitty plastic bulb holders, I’m gonna copy
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: The Outlaw Ghia Build Thread Reply with quote

Actually, just decided to do it today. What a difference. I bought a step drill bit and drilled the holes to 3/8". The socket I posted above are a fraction bigger than 3/8", so they are a snug fit. Did it to the speedos oil, generator, turn signal, and back lighting, and the gas gauge back lighting. I am one socket short so have to buy another one. My speedos green lenses for the turn signal and generator are faded and look brownish when the lamp is lit... I bought some replacement LED bulbs that are green. Hoping they will look green after I replace them. I'm very happy with the results... Those plastic sockets we're crap, and I always had a bad connection with them.
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: The Outlaw Ghia Build Thread Reply with quote

Nice. That’s what I’ll do then. Thanks!
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: The Outlaw Ghia Build Thread Reply with quote

Thanks. Next, I need to figure out the fuel sending unit problem.
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: The Outlaw Ghia Build Thread Reply with quote

xzener wrote:
Actually, just decided to do it today. What a difference. I bought a step drill bit and drilled the holes to 3/8". The socket I posted above are a fraction bigger than 3/8", so they are a snug fit. Did it to the speedos oil, generator, turn signal, and back lighting, and the gas gauge back lighting. I am one socket short so have to buy another one. My speedos green lenses for the turn signal and generator are faded and look brownish when the lamp is lit... I bought some replacement LED bulbs that are green. Hoping they will look green after I replace them. I'm very happy with the results... Those plastic sockets we're crap, and I always had a bad connection with them.

Would you mind posting a step-by-step procedure so someone like me can do the same with my speedo and gauges, please? And where I can buy the sockets and the lights?
Olli from NJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: The Outlaw Ghia Build Thread Reply with quote

xzener,

Your Ghia looks fantastic! Very nice.

And yes, please tell us where the bulb holders came from. Thanks!

Olli
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: The Outlaw Ghia Build Thread Reply with quote

Using a step drill bit, I drilled the oblong holes to 3/8" (holding the gauge up-side-down so the metal shavings fall out and not in). Be careful, the holes are 3/8" or so long, but only about 1/4" wide... So when you hit 3/8" on the bit, the hole still looks the same. Using a pair of pliers, grip the socket and gently push the socket in. I had to twist the sockets a bit, but they eventually slip in tightly. Here is a picture (now before you guys go crazy about the lugs, keep in mind I am still gonna purchase the correct crimper and metal lugs)

<cringes>

NOTE: The speedo has the missing backlight lamp

Nothing to it really. I bought the bit from Harbor Freight, and I bought the sockets from a user in the classified... but JBugs (used in later models gauges) has them in stock. I actually bought some LEDs, I will let you guys know how they work. The bulbs can be purchased from JBugs too. I think there is a P/N for the bulb in the sockets description. After this small modification, the sockets have a SOLID ground. No more wiggly plastic pieces of crap.

NOTE: I CAN NOT GUARANTEE THE JBUG SOCKETS WILL WORK!! They might be a different size. If you wait, I just ordered one, give me a couple days... I will be the guinea pig. Wink
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: The Outlaw Ghia Build Thread Reply with quote

Ok, on to the fuel gauge. After reading lots of posts about various issues... Here is where I stand.

Fuel Gauge always at empty. It's wired correctly. Grounding the pin for the sending unit, the needle pegs to full. This tells me the gauge is good.

Now for the sending unit (tubular type). Tank is full. The tank has a direct short to ground. The gauge pegs to full if I short the sender wire to ground on the tank. The connector only reads .053 ohms. From what I've read, that is not good. Should be 70 ohms empty and 7 ohms full.

If this is correct... I need a sending unit. Do you guys agree??
crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: The Outlaw Ghia Build Thread Reply with quote

xzener wrote:
I need a sending unit. Do you guys agree??
Maybe, but before you order a new sender read this in case you haven't already: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7706426#7706426. Yeah, I know, it says it's for busses, but take your sending unit apart and compare the innards. It worked fo me.
crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: The Outlaw Ghia Build Thread Reply with quote

xzener wrote:
(now before you guys go crazy about the lugs, keep in mind I am still gonna purchase the correct crimper and metal lugs)
What, no heat shrink tubing? Wink Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 44, 45, 46  Next
Jump to:
Page 28 of 46

Jump to: