Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Christmas snow fall
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject: Christmas snow fall Reply with quote

Every year for the last four. I have fixed a Prime Rib for Christmas Eve dinner.

This year I pop the roast in the oven and turn to look out the front window. What to I see? It's snowing! I have to transport this PR to my sisters house 12 miles away in this mess.

When it snows in the PNW folks have no idea how to drive in the white slippery stuff. The 12 mile drive could take up to an hour to reach my final destination.

But I'm gonna take the Beetle to make sure I get there. Cool

Have a Merry Christmas!

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Christmas snow fall Reply with quote

Sure wish it would snow here in Southern Oregon on the Coast, We have not had snow in like 5 years now. It used to snow every winter a couple of inches here maybe twice. Usually between Christmas and New years.
The beetle is an excellent snow car though. I used to drive them in Colorado. We always ran studded snow tires there. A bug in heavy snow is kind of fun. I've put chains on mine and pushed it through so much show I could not even see out. They make a pretty good snow plow. Can't go too fast though.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Christmas snow fall Reply with quote

We get Texas snow (sleet) here once every 10 years or so. When it rains no one knows how to drive. Just imagine what it like when it snows or freezes.

Usually when it freezes everything shuts down. The real trouble is when it freezes in the middle of the day when everyone is out and about.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Christmas snow fall Reply with quote

We finally had a good storm last week and now we have about 14" of snow on the ground. It turned cold thankfully, so everything is white and fresh and sunny. My daughter and I started building an igloo this afternoon, but ran out of packed snow for blocks. We will go back out shortly to pack a snow field down to work harden the snow. Tomorrow, cut more blocks and finish the igloo!

Even though I don't ski any more, I still love winter.
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Christmas snow fall Reply with quote

I'm old, i'm grumpy, i don't like wearing multiple layers of clothing, i have a bad back and i don't like it below 60 degrees. Throw snow into the equation and those issues become worse. If i never saw snow again i would not miss it a bit.
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Christmas snow fall Reply with quote

I hear it's snowing in Seattle right now: 48' F and light Drizzle here, Something seems to be moving in.
https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/langlois-or/97450/weather-radar/41065_pc

Last edited by Danwvw on Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Christmas snow fall Reply with quote

No snow, but did a 40 mile bike ride today... 37*F.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Christmas snow fall Reply with quote

Eight inches here.

And we also had a fairly significant snowfall.
olspeed
Samba Member

Location: In the shadow of Denali, I still don't give a damn how they do it outside

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Christmas snow fall Reply with quote

Some folks have all the luck! Stuck down here in Phoenix (at least it's not 80' F outside) and no snow it's not really Christmas without the white stuff, I can't believe I am going to miss my Christmas day ride.
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Christmas snow fall Reply with quote

Screw all that. It’s supposed to be 63* tomorrow and that’s about 10* cooler than I’d like.
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Christmas snow fall Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Snowing again today, third snow storm in 2 weeks Rolling Eyes

Merry Christmas everyone !

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
HMVWNAB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Christmas snow fall Reply with quote

70s and sunny, another green Christmas in the hurricane belt. Think we’ll take a ride by the beach with the top down.
Stanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Christmas snow fall Reply with quote

The snow is flying today up in Harrisville, NH where we are visiting family for the Holiday. We brought our sledding gear and I drove the 15 year old Toyota minivan up. It has lots of heat and plenty of comfort. My old VWs are put away for the winter.

www.stanagon.com

My '61 Mango bus thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=110367
My '64 vert thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=386344
My '71 squareback thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=637709
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Christmas snow fall Reply with quote

50° and sunny here. If I didn't have a cold I would probably take the buggy for a spin. Last year I went for a nice ride, but it was around 80° then.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Christmas snow fall Reply with quote

so... people in the PNW dont know how to drive in the snow Shocked many hear dont either...possiably it's the snow birds that come down to get away from it.... I personally havent had any issue driving in the snow....well....I was in the back seat of a 61 giha convertible with out the top, it was my brothers way back in....76..in the snow...hear in FL....when ..it rolled over...on the highway.... not a pretty sight.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Christmas snow fall Reply with quote

The problem I got with most of the folks I've met that live in snow country is that they act like there's a magic trick to driving in it that only they are privy to, so they drive in it like it's 80 and sunny outside insisting it's nothing. I have a feeling there are FAR more accidents in common snow areas than in areas like mine because of this attitude, and I hate it when people in those areas insist they won't wreck because they have more "skillz." Bullshit.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Christmas snow fall Reply with quote

We got somewhere between 8 and 10 inches for Christmas day. Was out using the snow blower and shovels to clear the driveway. Glad we didn't wait until today to clear it, as we only got up to 9*F here today. It's also pretty windy too.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Christmas snow fall Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
The problem I got with most of the folks I've met that live in snow country is that they act like there's a magic trick to driving in it that only they are privy to, so they drive in it like it's 80 and sunny outside insisting it's nothing. I have a feeling there are FAR more accidents in common snow areas than in areas like mine because of this attitude, and I hate it when people in those areas insist they won't wreck because they have more "skillz." Bullshit.

As they say practice makes perfect. Dealing with snow on a regular basis for months at a time does make you more in tune with it. Imagine growing up and living with it a lifetime.

I lived in Muskegon Michigan and had friends in Traverse City. You make allowances like having a designated winter beater car with studs or chains, you allow more time to get wherever it is you are going, you warm up the car before heading out, you carry a few incidentals and help others when they need it. I remember wind chills of 50 below and this becomes life threatening. You either adapt or you may die. Does this make you better??? There is of course no substitute for common sense. The thing I remember most was after the season started each snowfall packed onto what was already there so a fresh snow would whiten things up and make it look clean, you didn’t see bare ground till spring. The occasional one off storms we see around here are nothing.
Zeen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Christmas snow fall Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
sb001 wrote:

As they say practice makes perfect. Dealing with snow on a regular basis for months at a time does make you more in tune with it. Imagine growing up and living with it a lifetime.

I lived in Muskegon Michigan and had friends in Traverse City. You make allowances like having a designated winter beater car with studs or chains, you allow more time to get wherever it is you are going, you warm up the car before heading out, you carry a few incidentals and help others when they need it. I remember wind chills of 50 below and this becomes life threatening. You either adapt or you may die. Does this make you better??? There is of course no substitute for common sense. The thing I remember most was after the season started each snowfall packed onto what was already there so a fresh snow would whiten things up and make it look clean, you didn’t see bare ground till spring. The occasional one off storms we see around here are nothing.

You are too nice. The evidence is quite clear that you are correct, and sb for some reason felt it necessary to again make unsubstantiated, ignorant, unpleasant comments.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctvRTFmZ-lA

It takes experience to learn how to feather the brakes, and steer towards the shoulder or another lane where there is more available traction. I'm sure he'd be one of those warm state drivers who just jams on the brakes even harder when he he starts to slide, and ends up where momentum and gravity takes him.

It seems I see more SUVs off the road than cars. The drivers get false confidence because they can accelerate better in the snow, but forget they can't stop any better, and if you jam the brakes you're done steering.
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Christmas snow fall Reply with quote

Zeen wrote:

It seems I see more SUVs off the road than cars. The drivers get false confidence because they can accelerate better in the snow, but forget they can't stop any better, and if you jam the brakes you're done steering.

Yepper !! I have never needed a 4 wd car/truck, living in Northern New England the last 32 years, front wheel drive wcvw's have kept me on the road with GOOD studded SNOW TIRES & common sense. The ones you see in the ditch are the ones in a hurry, SUVs & 4x4 Trucks with "all season tires" Rolling Eyes locals & out-of-staters, no common sense to slow the fuck down.

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: