Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Raising a type 3 front
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Dub Barn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject: Raising a type 3 front Reply with quote

We have a 72 type 3 squareback and want to raise the front end 3-5". Whats the best ride and way to do this? We see the type 1 conversion but are o n the fence about it. Any info would be appreciated and thanks in advance
We are making it into a offroad baja car after a bad accident,
GjMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Raising a type 3 front Reply with quote

Gonna be tough to get 3-5 inches out of the stock beam; frame horns will foul the tie rods after a couple inches. Raised spindles would do the job, but they're super rare. That pretty much leaves the T1 conversion beam as your best option.

I'm also raising my Squareback for off road. Got a T1 conversion beam with adjusters, but need to figure out how to mount it so it stays put. Stock beam is held on with 6 bolts, but conversion beam uses only four. Probably fine for street, but questionable for off road.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Raising a type 3 front Reply with quote

GjMan wrote:
Gonna be tough to get 3-5 inches out of the stock beam; frame horns will foul the tie rods after a couple inches. Raised spindles would do the job, but they're super rare. That pretty much leaves the T1 conversion beam as your best option.

I'm also raising my Squareback for off road. Got a T1 conversion beam with adjusters, but need to figure out how to mount it so it stays put. Stock beam is held on with 6 bolts, but conversion beam uses only four. Probably fine for street, but questionable for off road.

I suppose the person to ask would be Russel at old speed, to see if he could do a set of raised spindles (he already does lowered ones).

I suppose since you'd be raising the front up, you could add a 3rd bolt to the bottom of the conversion brackets to have 3 bolts per side like stock. You'd have to figure out how you're going to add a bracket for the 4th hole that goes to the body (front body support mounts off the upper part of the beam bracket). I only mention this, as most conversion brackets don't have this provision.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
GjMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Raising a type 3 front Reply with quote

Yes, I'm planning to weld brackets to the conversion beam so I can make use of the two lower bolt holes.
sidemarkers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Raising a type 3 front Reply with quote

Raising a squareback 2 notches front and rear will give you the clearance to go most anywhere. I was running 235/75/15 front and rear on a daily driver for many years.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oxsign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: Raising a type 3 front Reply with quote

sidemarkers wrote:
Raising a squareback 2 notches front and rear will give you the clearance to go most anywhere. I was running 235/75/15 front and rear on a daily driver for many years.
Any major rubbing at all?? That's a pretty good size tire for up front. How did your balljoints hold out?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sidemarkers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Raising a type 3 front Reply with quote

Rubbing wasn't a big issue when raised 2 splines with factory wheel offset. I had a 69 with factory wheels and a 72 with baja style offset wheels and cut fenders with rubber fender flares. Ball joint wear was a non issue. Keep the shocks soft and it will ride great with hella suspension travel.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sidemarkers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Raising a type 3 front Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

VWDog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Raising a type 3 front Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:

I suppose the person to ask would be Russel at old speed, to see if he could do a set of raised spindles (he already does lowered ones).

Kinda late to the party here...but do you have a link to where I can find this Russel fellow? Franklins doesn't seem to be too interested in the idea of doing raised spindles(although TBH, I haven't pursued it too much with them).

Thanks in advance,
Don

1970 Lotus White Single Cab 2015- , 1979 Sage Green 2014-2015, 1978 Dakota Beige Westy 2012-2015, 1978 Neptune Blue Riviera 2012-2017 , 1970 Neptune Blue Bus 2010-2012, 1970 Deluxe Savannah Beige 2010-2012, 1985 Iltis 2010- , 1962 Single Cab 2010-2013, 1975 Brasilia? Bay/Split Kombi from Brazil 2008-2011, 1985 DoKa 1999-2009, 1971 Bus 1999-2000, 1968 Double Cab 1991-1998, 1965 Ghia 1987-1991, 1970 Westfalia-bought by Mum and Dad in 1970, sold by me in 1993 why-oh-why :_(
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Raising a type 3 front Reply with quote

VWDog wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:

Kinda late to the party here...but do you have a link to where I can find this Russel fellow? Franklins doesn't seem to be too interested in the idea of doing raised spindles(although TBH, I haven't pursued it too much with them).

Thanks in advance,
Don

Contact Russel at Old Speed .com .
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: