Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need help identifying my 63 Single Cab vin plate and location
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mstg07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying my 63 Single Cab vin plate and location Reply with quote

gitchesum wrote:
Eric&Barb wrote:
Pretty easy to bondo over the holes, or even been welded shut. Holes will be up higher than the standard bus. Have had good luck with poking around with a sharpish item to poke back thru the bondo.

Can you get the 63 VIN plate made? If not they should be able to understand that it was removed by a DPO so now MIA....

VIN plates were riveted in place when they moved up front to right side of the fresh air vent in the front seat interior area. Somewhere around 64 or 65.

Here is a 1966 VIN plate in situ:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

All original paint on my firewall...no bondo, no welding.

I've noticed that some vin numbers have the type in front of the chassis number. Do you register with or without the type in front? In your photo it shows type 26 which is correct for a single cab right? My particular title doesn't have the type 26 in front it's only titled using the 7 digit chassis number.
gitchesum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying my 63 Single Cab vin plate and location Reply with quote

My 68 DC is regd with the type # in front of VIN...The 61, and the 57 just used the VIN...no type #.

57 SC
61 rag w/356B brakes
61 356B
Honda XLR 250, 69 Z50, Yamaha 100 Enduro...and others.
GMC SLT 4x4 Dmax
Kubota L3710, not enuf attachments.
And various VW's that come and go...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying my 63 Single Cab vin plate and location Reply with quote

gitchesum wrote:

VW actually used to (and probably still does) sell touch up paint for the VWs of the time. Have personally touched up plenty of rock chips, and have it look like there was never any damage in the first place.

Again the most likely place that will probably show up the screw holes cover up is the front of that panel.
mstg07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying my 63 Single Cab vin plate and location Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
gitchesum wrote:

VW actually used to (and probably still does) sell touch up paint for the VWs of the time. Have personally touched up plenty of rock chips, and have it look like there was never any damage in the first place.

Again the most likely place that will probably show up the screw holes cover up is the front of that panel.

Would you happen to know the type and size of screws used for the plate?
mstg07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying my 63 Single Cab vin plate and location Reply with quote

Here's the other style plate they sell I think this is correct for 62 and earlier? Not to sure. I seen photos of some originals and they look similar but not quite. Some say MADE IN WESTERN GERMANY at the very bottom.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying my 63 Single Cab vin plate and location Reply with quote

mstg07 wrote:

I've noticed that some vin numbers have the type in front of the chassis number. Do you register with or without the type in front? In your photo it shows type 26 which is correct for a single cab right? My particular title doesn't have the type 26 in front it's only titled using the 7 digit chassis number.

You register it with the VIN stamped into the body.

VW only added the 26 and next digit showing year when the VIN plate was moved up to the interior right side of the fresh air vent.
mstg07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying my 63 Single Cab vin plate and location Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
mstg07 wrote:

You register it with the VIN stamped into the body.

VW only added the 26 and next digit showing year when the VIN plate was moved up to the interior right side of the fresh air vent.

Great thanks for clarifying was afraid my title was not correctly done.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying my 63 Single Cab vin plate and location Reply with quote

mstg07 wrote:
Eric&Barb wrote:
If you remove the gas tank panel on the RHS, you probably could see the evidence of the screw holes showing on the front side of the panel.

Here is a good image showing the 63 VIN plate position:

So this particular plate for a 63 was screwed in or are those rivets? Would you happen to know the size of the screws used?

Those have slots in them heads, so screws. No idea of exact size. Might be same as early Beetle tags.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying my 63 Single Cab vin plate and location Reply with quote

mstg07 wrote:
Here's the other style plate they sell I think this is correct for 62 and earlier? Not to sure. I seen photos of some originals and they look similar but not quite. Some say MADE IN WESTERN GERMANY at the very bottom.

A bit earlier than that:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=560034&highlight=vin+plate
gitchesum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying my 63 Single Cab vin plate and location Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
mstg07 wrote:

A bit earlier than that:

That's the style in my 57...with an extra smaller tag below saying "Made in Western Germany."

On the 61, I just took the fuel tank out and no evidence of any holes on the inside either....also no tag behind the seat...thought I saw one there, mighta been another bus.

57 SC
61 rag w/356B brakes
61 356B
GMC SLT 4x4 Dmax
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mstg07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying my 63 Single Cab vin plate and location Reply with quote

gitchesum wrote:
Eric&Barb wrote:
mstg07 wrote:

A bit earlier than that:

That's the style in my 57...with an extra smaller tag below saying "Made in Western Germany."

On the 61, I just took the fuel tank out and no evidence of any holes on the inside either....also no tag behind the seat...thought I saw one there, mighta been another bus.

Whe are kind of in the same boat I only have 1 area that shows the chassis number which is the m code behind the passenger seat. mine has had metal work done in the rear engine bay area therefore the body stamp is not present. Going to get an order going for a replacement plate will update once I receive it.
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying my 63 Single Cab vin plate and location Reply with quote

mstg07 wrote:

The type and model was incorporated into the VIN for the 1965 model year. This is when they went to the 9 digit VIN.

The type is not in front of the chassis number for 65 on. The type is part of the chassis # then.
Your bus should be registered with the full VIN. IF it is 9 digits you use all 9 digits. If it is 6 digits, you use all six digits. If 7, use 7.
It is stamped in the engine compartment.

For a 64 and earlier truck the VIN does not start with 26.
(...unless it has a VIN of 260 000 to 269 999. But all models start with 26 during that time of production, there is no coding and you don't know it is a truck from the VIN. The model is only incorporated into/ coded into the VIN when they went to the 9 digit VIN.)
(The VINs that start with 1- or 20-, which was through 1955 do tell you the type, though. 1- means bug, 20- means bus. It does not say what model)

For a 65 and later truck the VIN has 9 digits, and it does start with 26, with the 3rd digit being the last digit of model year. This means a 9 digit VIN starting with 266 is a '66 type 26... a 66 truck.

That is also explained here:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/chassisdating.php

The VIN plate was moved from the engine compartment to the over head fresh air duct as of mid November 1963 (see body section of progressive refinements).
This is actually before the 9 digit VIN was introduced.
At this point it was riveted.
Earlier ones are screwed into the engine compartment.

Quote:
My 68 DC is regd with the type # in front of VIN...The 61, and the 57 just used the VIN...no type #.

In 57 and 61 the VIN was 6 digits, and the type was not in the VIN. The VIN in the engine compartment would be 6 digits.
In 68 the type was part of the VIN. A 68 DC VIN is 9 digits and starts with 268.
in 1970 they started the 10 digit VIN; my 70 bus has a VIN of 220 xxxx xxx You can tell from the VIN what model it is, that it is not a truck... without even seeing the actual vehicle.

more info:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/id.php

If the VIN tag is missing look where this^^^ says it should be for your year.

There should be a sticky to explain the VIN. I see this question repeated from time to time. Or maybe explained a be more in the bus ID page. The M-code decoder site has the VIN/ serial # thing confused.
gitchesum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying my 63 Single Cab vin plate and location Reply with quote

In 57 and 61 the VIN was 6 digits, and the type was not in the VIN. The VIN in the engine compartment would be 6 digits.
In 68 the type was part of the VIN. A 68 DC VIN is 9 digits and starts with 268.
in 1970 they started the 10 digit VIN; my 70 bus has a VIN of 220 xxxx xxx You can tell from the VIN what model it is, that it is not a truck... without even seeing the actual vehicle.
Yep...that's right, all right.

Yep....Found the VIN tag on the 61, behind pass seat, way lower than the other buses I've had. Before and after pics of the 61.

57 SC
61 rag w/356B brakes
61 356B
GMC SLT 4x4 Dmax
mstg07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying my 63 Single Cab vin plate and location Reply with quote

gitchesum wrote:

Yep....Found the VIN tag on the 61, behind pass seat, way lower than the other buses I've had. Before and after pics of the 61.

Here's your m code decoded. Scratch the 6 pop outs
gitchesum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying my 63 Single Cab vin plate and location Reply with quote

Thank you for taking the time to do that...still trying to find those popouts ....Wink

57 SC
61 rag w/356B brakes
61 356B
GMC SLT 4x4 Dmax
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying my 63 Single Cab vin plate and location Reply with quote

Check your local laws about VIN plates. In my state it is illegal to possess a detached VIN plate, it's a class E felony
mstg07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying my 63 Single Cab vin plate and location Reply with quote

gitchesum wrote:
Thank you for taking the time to do that...still trying to find those popouts ....Wink

No problem. People's eyes popping out when you drive past them. Looks nice. I'm digging the Cyclops and the press bumper. Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying my 63 Single Cab vin plate and location Reply with quote

mstg07 wrote:
gitchesum wrote:

Here's your m code decoded. Scratch the 6 pop outs

ya, the truck M-code plate is lower than in a bus:

That M-code decoder page also included back-up lights, which is not included for that code until partway into 1967.
The seat belt mounting points weren't included till IIRC 1963 Laughing
The 'serial number' of 26638610 is also an invention. ignore it.
mstg07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying my 63 Single Cab vin plate and location Reply with quote

Is that a Brazilian single cab? Is the m code the same as a German?
62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying my 63 Single Cab vin plate and location Reply with quote

mstg07 wrote:
Would you happen to know the type and size of screws used for the plate?

Refreshing an oldie to ask the same question: Does anyone know the type and size of the screws for mounting the VIN and M-code plates to the firewall and bulkhead, respectively?

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: