Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2017 - Year In Review Stats
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: 2017 - Year In Review Stats Reply with quote

2017 did not see a lot of miles or oil changes, but it did see the change in status for three of my Type 2s to "rolling restorations". That is, they run and roll, and are mechanically sound, and now the next phase of restorations begins (e.g. service all window regulators, replace all windshields, etc.)

That would be for these:

Ann the Van, a 1972 Sportsmobile conversion:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

JellyBean, the 1973 Wild Westerner 9-seater:

and Arandano, the 1975 factory sample single cab:

Still in the queue are...

BlueBird, a 1978 RHD double cab, which after 5.5 years of metal work (including adding a 4th door) is finally going into paint this week!

and the '74 wrecked Westy, wihc will be dismantled and chopped up for parts some day:

1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MGBBob80
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: 2017 - Year In Review Stats Reply with quote

scrivyscriv wrote:
Just curious guys, what is everyone using to log your info? I had the Gas Cubby app but it stopped being supported last year and I lost all of my maintenance, repair and fuel mileage stored in it. Using Fuelly now, but I'm interested in other apps or logbooks - for long term records.

I can't post my stats, they're equivalent to about four or five trips to the grocery store Sad

Nothing fancy. I track everything manually via my phone's "notes" app when I am on the go and then transcribe it into basic office software when I get home so that I have a more permanent record.

1978 Type 2 Transporter. 2L engine (engine code GE), Fuel Injection, 4-speed manual transmission.His name is Buddy.

"I reserve the right to be better tomorrow than I am today."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: 2017 - Year In Review Stats Reply with quote

SamboSamba22 wrote:
One of my favorite pics (Petite Jean State Park)

My second favorite pic from a little over two years ago

Life has been a lot of fun with a bus! To many more with our arses in the driver seat! Love all you guys here, the extents of wisdom and life lessons I’ve learned through our community and growth wrenching, well now, I’ll leave that for my book Laughing

I'm looking forward to the book! Dancing

And I trust you take great pride in the transformation of your bus. The changes that have happened in such a short period is fantastic. As I've mentioned before, your thread was the first one I read when I first found The Samba, and it inspired me to fix up mine. And now I have a well-running ride too, although not as shiny as yours. But... someday! Cool

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AircooledHome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:38 am    Post subject: Re: 2017 - Year In Review Stats Reply with quote

My daily driver 1971 bus..

Miles driven: About 10k
Gallons of fuel consumed: No Idea
Overall MPG: 16
Number of Oil Changes: hmm.. 12-15
Number of Valve Adjustments: 15-16
Other maintenance of note: 3 new engines, 1 new transmission, new seals, welded door track, interior renovation, new tires, new cv boots, new brake pads, etc.

Just for fun stats:
VW Shows attended: 3?
Non-VW Shows attended: 1
Trophies won: most engines in 1 year??
Campouts: 3 - Descend on Bend, Kate Wolf Fest, Every other night I could!

SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017 - Year In Review Stats Reply with quote

I absolutely love this thread, it’s motivating me to conquer 2018 in the bus.
As for 2017 in review:

1974 Westfalia “Pushpop”
Miles Driven: 5,500*
Fuel Consumed- Do I really have to add up the receipts?
Overall MPG - 19*
Oil Changes - 4
Valve Adjustments - 3

Other Maintenance:
Carb Adjustments - Probably 5?
New door seals, right side/ back glass window rubber replacement
H4 Headlight Upgrade
Slider door clean up/seal

VW Shows: 2 show and shines in Hot Springs, AR Red, White, and VDubs Too Mountain Home, AR Mountain Top VW Show Mountain View, AR Eureka Springs VW Show
Trophies Won: 2, by default!
Personal Campouts: 7
Longest road trip - 600 miles

One of my favorite pics (Petite Jean State Park)

My second favorite pic from a little over two years ago

Life has been a lot of fun with a bus! To many more with our arses in the driver seat! Love all you guys here, the extents of wisdom and life lessons I’ve learned through our community and growth wrenching, well now, I’ll leave that for my book Laughing

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017 - Year In Review Stats Reply with quote

I changed phones in October and have had a hassle getting the data from last year for the start mileage.

Anyway, the 1978 TDI Bus started 2017 with 73,786 miles on the old odometer. 83400 to end the year. That figures out to 9614, but when I add the correction for taller tires, works out to 10,094 miles for the year. Not too bad.

In that there were two trips to Colorado, plus lots of trips to Marysville (the location of the satellite office I go to weekly) plus a couple other shorter trips here and there and other driving around. I really like driving the '78 to Marysville because on the way home when the weather is fairly nice, I stop and run on a trail that is between there and home. The Bus is super handy for changing into my running shorts and all that.

Mileage would have been a bit higher, except it sat most of December due to oil pressure issues. I'm pretty certain that a pressure relief valve in the pump has failed and that is the cause of the issues. Just need time and temperature to cooperate in swapping out the pump.

Luckily, other than the current oil pump issue, no big issues. In April I changed the old head bolts to studs and solved a slight head gasket leak.

The 1973 Bus started 2017 with 83101 and ended with 85695. I'm a bit surprised at that, but it is kind of my "around town" Bus while the '78 is the road trip bus so I guess that works out. Biggest thing in that bus over the year was installing the BA6 heater.

Both Buses sat quite a bit in the summer time because I was driving the Thing! Unfortunately it's odometer is broken so I really have no idea how many miles I put on it.

When you consider that my Golf was only driven approximately 8300 miles in 2017 (and that includes when I loaned it to a friend to drive to Denver in October), the vast majority of my miles were driven in an old Volkswagen last year.

Nice. I'll take it.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
EZ Gruv
King of Plaid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017 - Year In Review Stats Reply with quote

scrivyscriv wrote:
Just curious guys, what is everyone using to log your info?

A notebook and a pencil.
My Photography Page.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scrivyscriv Premium Member
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017 - Year In Review Stats Reply with quote

Just curious guys, what is everyone using to log your info? I had the Gas Cubby app but it stopped being supported last year and I lost all of my maintenance, repair and fuel mileage stored in it. Using Fuelly now, but I'm interested in other apps or logbooks - for long term records.

I can't post my stats, they're equivalent to about four or five trips to the grocery store Sad

If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017 - Year In Review Stats Reply with quote

Just added my mileage up for the year.
A grand total of 7,923

(1991 westy miles 3252 = 11,175 total vw camper miles)

That was split between two buses.
Bus 1 (on the right) had 1,868 of those miles. Then I pulled the engine and ordered a new long block because I dropped a screw in the intake and thought it was toast.
So it sits with a new motor with 100 miles on it this winter. The one I took out was perfectly fine once I took the tin screw out of the intake. Embarassed Twisted Evil Confused

Bus 2 (on the left), the hard worker this year had 6,055 of those miles. This bus we took on our two week road trip this summer and I drive it mostly spring summer and fall. I had a 1991 Westy too for a bit this year and put 3,252 miles on it. Maybe I should add that in?
That's less than last years miliage. Some great trips this year to the coast, California, Mt Baker, Whistler, Jasper, Banff and chasing a lot of wind here in the gorge.

No VW issues, just amature mechanic (me) errors.

i need to take these for a drive soon.

1969 Tucker Sno cat 542
2017 VW Alltrac
71 tin top stock 1600 DP (project but runs)
Twin 71 White Westy, Bus 2, that I pulled from a 15 year slumber in a dry eastern WA field in 2015.
1966 Sundial Camper "Boomer"
MGBBob80
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017 - Year In Review Stats Reply with quote

1978 Transporter

Miles driven: 1385
Gallons of fuel consumed: 64.74
Overall MPG: 21.39
Number of Oil Changes: 2
Number of Valve Adjustments: 0

Other maintenance:
• Off-road for 9 months due to body work and paint.
• Electric windshield wiper system
• Alternator

1978 Type 2 Transporter. 2L engine (engine code GE), Fuel Injection, 4-speed manual transmission.His name is Buddy.

"I reserve the right to be better tomorrow than I am today."
zoobum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017 - Year In Review Stats Reply with quote

1979 Riviera "Holmby" (Tin Top) - 2.0L FI Type IV

Miles driven: 1000+/-
Gallons of fuel consumed: ?
Overall MPG: 18-21
Number of Oil Changes: 1
Other maintenance of note: Muffler & tip, Spark plug wires, few gas hoses, wiper blades, gas cap, interior shelf guides, new camp gear (water jug, dutch oven, tent, titanium bowls)

Just for fun stats:
VW Shows attended: 2

Campouts: 10+ (Castaic lake, Joshua Tree, Idllywild, Solvang.....)

Favorite photo of my bus this year:

Ready to shred 2018!
SlowLane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017 - Year In Review Stats Reply with quote

Amskeptic wrote:

Maintenance/repair: one used generator bearing, a used crankshaft pulley with less run-out, a pair of new generator brushes, a used pressure plate in place of that horrible new Brazilian Sachs chatter-monkey, a new front seal
Total Repair Expenses $13.96 (+ whatever you dinged me for Robbie)

So, what, a total engine rebuild doesn't count as maintenance or repair? Confused
'72 Super Beetle
'69 Camper Van - Corvair powered
'71 Window Van - Transferred Corvair from '69

"With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine." - Internet RFC 1925

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance." - Sir Terry Pratchett
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017 - Year In Review Stats Reply with quote

15th Itinerary...

basic stats

1970 Deluxe 7-Passenger - 1.6 Type 1 1600 - Pedal-to-the-metal lap of the country

Miles driven: 17,519
Gallons of fuel consumed: 942
Overall MPG: 18.6
Number of Oil Changes: 6
Number of Valve Adjustments: 12
Maintenance/repair: one used generator bearing, a used crankshaft pulley with less run-out, a pair of new generator brushes, a used pressure plate in place of that horrible new Brazilian Sachs chatter-monkey, a new front seal
Total Repair Expenses $13.96 (+ whatever you dinged me for Robbie)

VW Shows attended: 0
Non-VW Shows attended: 0
Trophies won: 0
Personal Campouts: 93

Favorite photo of my bus this past summer:

This one, because it captured the worry-free driving (look at the CHT reading)
I got to enjoy this summer. I don't think the CHT gauge ever read over 380* even in Death Valley.

This year's "calendar" shot:

richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017 - Year In Review Stats Reply with quote

‘68 Tin Top Westy, The Bone Bus.

Miles driven: 7457
Gallons of 91 used: a lot of adding I don’t want to do
MPG: 16.5/town 21.5/highway
Oil changes: 3
Valve adjustments: 3, but they’re more like checks
New sets cork valve cover gaskets: 3
Adjusted brakes: 4
Transaxle oil change: 1
Rotated the tires: 1
On road oil consumption: none

Fun stats:
Multi night festivals: 2, one with out Lil P which involed lots of MTBing for me!
Number of MTB races the bus took me to: 8
MTB rides with the bus: countless, enough to ride 700 miles solely off road
Snowboarding days with the bus: 9, I take the truck when it’s snowing
VW events: 1, The Southwest Colorado Off Road Adventure!
Days I dropped Lil P off at school in the bus: Damn near every day.

Total Cost to Repair: $0

Favorite pic: hard to pic just one, so here’s two.

Giving Lil P five as I came through staging at the 12 Hours of Mesa Verde MTB race. I was on a team that was sponcered by Ska Brewing.

Near the Dry Fork Trail Head, Durango.

’65 Deluxe Build
GoBigEmma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:06 am    Post subject: Re: 2017 - Year In Review Stats Reply with quote

Okay, now that the old year is truly over (and yesterday's hangover is over too), time for a few yearly stats. Our records are incomplete since we drowned the book keeping them in a river somewhere in Belize, together with the rest of the bus. Metal seems to be pretty okay with water, but paper and ink fare less well. So, most of this is from memory.

1975 bus "Big Emma". Driven from Southern California to Belize over the course of 9 months, then dumped her in a river, got her out, back running, stuffed her in a container and brought her home to Illinois, where she sits in a garage waiting to be fixed up and hit the road again.

Miles driven: about 25k
Gallons of fuel consumed: ummm, like a lot.
Overall MPG: somewhere between 10-15, brought down by weight and low-quality gas.
Number of Oil Changes: around 5 or 6
Number of Valve Adjustments: none, because hydraulic valves Smile
Other modifications of note: A gazillion minor repairs, but few major issues. Changed out the alternator and fuel pump. Took out the engine for fun with Robbie.

Just for fun stats:
Shows attended: 1 Pomona Swap Meet, somehow managed to miss everything else.
Campouts: Not sure, but maybe around 200?
Number of breakdowns: real ones, where she wouldn't want to go any further without towing: 1, in a river in Belize. Minor ones where we got stuck by the roadside for an hour or so: about 10.

Favorite photo of my bus: There's a bunch over on our thread (see signature), but here's one we like a lot:

Happy New Year folks, 2017 has been a heck of a year and it wouldn't have been half as good as it has been without this awesome community. Here's to 2018, let's make it even better (and a little less wet). Cheerio!

Emma & Sven
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017 - Year In Review Stats Reply with quote

1969 bus "Buddy." Driven daily and driven hard.

Miles driven: 18,968.5 (down 3637.1 from last year, probably from breaking my ankle and not driving for a while Confused )
Gallons of fuel consumed: a little over 1,100, my records aren't complete.
Overall MPG: 19-20-ish
Number of Oil Changes: 6
Number of Valve Adjustments: 7
Other modifications of note: I added brighter reverse lights, picked up a new dent in the front bumper, added two interior lights, and hit the rev limiter three times instead of five this year. I painted a few trim pieces too, ya know……

Total repair cost: $3.67 for one new generator brush, one idiot light bulb, and one valve cover gasket.

Just for fun stats:
Shows attended: 4 Pomona Swap Meets, 2 Cars and Coffees.
Campouts: A few dozen in four states.
Miles on my right side valve cover gasket: 36,893.4

Favorite photo of my bus, from a summertime desert flog in 108° temps, smack in the middle of a 980 mile drive without stopping for more than gas.

Love you dudes. See you on the roads,
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kokanee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017 - Year In Review Stats Reply with quote

I put 2500 miles on mine the 6 months I have owned it.
RTwo long camping trips

2 liter
Scat c25 cam
1.8 liter heads
Weber 40 idfs
One oil change
One valve adjustment
Motor is now out to reseal had some oil leaks

Rebuilt transaxle
MorkC68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017 - Year In Review Stats Reply with quote

1973 Kombi converted to a Camper - 1.9L Twin Carb' Type IV

Miles driven: 2375 (up 325 from last year)
Gallons of fuel consumed: not measured
Overall MPG: ~22 - I don't tend to bother too much, I enjoy it for what it is
Number of Oil Changes: 1
Number of Valve Adjustments: 1
Other maintenance of note: Reproduction Alternator replaced with a Bosch one, taken off our '77 Westfalia

Just for fun stats:
VW Shows attended: 1
Non-VW Shows attended: 0
Trophies won: 0
Campouts: 17 over 22 nights - Techenders, Camping in the Cotswolds, Dent Music and Beer Festival to name a few.

Favourite photo of my bus, Gusbus in the morning sun:

- 180W Solar System

My blog: https://twolatebays.wordpress.com/
russwiththebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017 - Year In Review Stats Reply with quote

1978 Standard Westfalia - 2.0L FI Type IV

Miles driven: 2,854 (down 2,369 from last year)
Gallons of fuel consumed: 197
Overall MPG: 16.8
Number of Oil Changes: 3
Number of Valve Adjustments: 1
Other maintenance of note: This was a unique year because the engine locked up back in June and so it got a rebuild and back on the road in November. So there was a lot of time missed. Usually I'm on the road a lot more and average at least one camping trip a month.

Here's the details on the new engine:

Type 4 2.0L (GE engine code)
Hydraulic lifters
Fuel injection
New: fuel lines, oil filter, air filter, fuel filter, thermostat, spark plugs (NGK B5ES), front and rear main seals, oil cooler (and seals), clutch disc, engine seal, alternator belt, distributor and coil (Pertronix Flame Thrower w/ Ignitor module)

Other stuff done this year (I took the opportunity while the engine was out):
Aux battery (Added a deep cycle and the relay)
Installed fuse blocks for accessories and USB ports
3rd brake light from GoWesty
LED strips installed in cabin
New shift bushings
Most interior/exterior bulbs replaced with LEDs
New wiper blades
New radio
New foam in upstairs mattress
New starter battery
Bleached poptop ceiling (It was nasty!)
A bunch of new stickers

Just for fun stats:
VW Shows attended: 2
Non-VW Shows attended: 1
Trophies won: 0 (Didn't compete)
Campouts: 7 (It's usually more than this)

Favorite photo of my bus this year (taken at Wildcat Lodge & Campground in Suches, GA):

Looking forward to more trips in 2018!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017 - Year In Review Stats Reply with quote

Dang, you're 4 days too early! I'm not quite done either. Drove the '73 to my folks for a Christmas visit Saturday to pad the mileage the other day. Very Happy Kept it at home for the second trip because it had snowed and the roads were salty.

One of them will go to Nebraska on Saturday. I had my uncle pick up a Craigslist-found wake board tower and will need to pick it up when I go up for that side of the family's festivities.

So I'll get a few more miles to add to my stats! Then I'll have to dig out the old phone so I can get the mileage data off it. I couldn't get it to transfer properly to the new phone.

With two trips to Colorado under it's belt, the '78 should have a decent showing this year.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: