Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Block heater
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject: Block heater Reply with quote

I have a '81 diesel Caddy and it came with a ton of great parts. I found a block heater in the box which works but I can't figure out where it goes? It has some light scrapping as if it was mounted on the bottom. And it has a 3 bolt plate for mounting. I did some searching and keep coming up with the freeze plug style. Any ideas?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Block heater Reply with quote

How do you know if it's for the VW? I could be just a block heater for some other manufacturer.

The one I had in my gas Caddy [Why? I do not know, I bought it used], fell out while driving on the freeway.
sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Block heater Reply with quote

Butcher wrote:
How do you know if it's for the VW? I could be just a block heater for some other manufacturer.

The one I had in my gas Caddy [Why? I do not know, I bought it used], fell out while driving on the freeway.

I don't know for sure, The huge box of spare parts looked like the PO parted out another rabbit. I was just taking a stab in the dark that someone else would know.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Block heater Reply with quote

sixfootdan wrote:
Butcher wrote:

I don't know for sure, The huge box of spare parts looked like the PO parted out another rabbit. I was just taking a stab in the dark that someone else would know.

I haven't seen one that looked like that for a VW application & can't think of any part of a rabbit engine that would accept those mounting points.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Block heater Reply with quote

So let me ask this, What is a good heater for the diesel?

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Block heater Reply with quote

This is the common style that replaces a freeze plug on the back of the block.
https://www.partsplaceinc.com/vw-freeze-plug-style-block-heater-3710.html

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Block heater Reply with quote

I used that style for years on my gas motored Rabbit, had heat almost the moment I started car. Never had any snow on hood, always melted away.
I think the Freeze plug style is the only style that will work on a VW, was told or read somewhere the ones that go into the hose won't work.
volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Block heater Reply with quote

hard to tell the size but that looks like it might have bolted to 3 of the 6 bolts on the oil strainer plate of an air cooled bug with a grommet for a hole in the cooling tin....
sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Block heater Reply with quote

volksworld wrote:
hard to tell the size but that looks like it might have bolted to 3 of the 6 bolts on the oil strainer plate of an air cooled bug with a grommet for a hole in the cooling tin....

Good point Think Thanks for the info everyone.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: