Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

tips before pulling transmission from 2002
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
markcm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: tips before pulling transmission from 2002 Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Are you using and adjustable leveler ? That will really help putting it back in too. You. Can rest it down not o wood, block it up, then install the leveler in place and crank it back up.

We do have a leveler and will re-rig it as suggested.

To confirm from from Stripped66's description of pick points:
Quote:
Passenger rear side of the cylinder head (metal tab); driver's rear side of the block, midway down by the lower timing cover (cast into the block).

Are these the correct points circled in red?:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: tips before pulling transmission from 2002 Reply with quote

Is it not possible to remove the AC compressor and leave the system intact on the car? Even if so, I'll bet it's tight and really complicates a drivetrain removal.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
markcm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: tips before pulling transmission from 2002 Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Is it not possible to remove the AC compressor and leave the system intact on the car? Even if so, I'll bet it's tight and really complicates a drivetrain removal.

The A/C hard pipe which connects to the manifold on the firewall and routes to the compressor at the lower front of the van extends out in front of the engine assembly. It may be possible to leave in place but we chose to break the system because the pipe extends out in front of the engine assembly and its hard enough to move the engine let along manipulate it around obstacles. I'm not sure if all model years have this same hard pipe configuration, ours is a late 2002 and it comes around the front of the engine pretty far.

Last edited by markcm2 on Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:50 am; edited 1 time in total
soissisc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: tips before pulling transmission from 2002 Reply with quote

Quote:

It is and I have done it. The wire looms that stretch across in front where the bumper was are much more of a pain to deal with than the ac compressor.

68 Westy
92 Jetta (oh it is retired)
99 Eurovan
05 NBC
06 Audi A3
72 Westy (I am going to fix it up)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
markcm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: tips before pulling transmission from 2002 Reply with quote

The transmission is off and will be headed to the rebuild shop tomorrow.

Here's a few questions to keep us moving:

Any recommendations for stabilizing the engine to work on it, should we just get a traditional engine stand?

Looking for tips on removing the harmonic balancer and flex plate and the seals behind them. how to keep the crank from rotating?

Where do we find torque spec's when we put this all back together?

Are there seals on the oil cooler that we should replace while in here?

Thanks and here's tonight's shot with the tranny off.

xavior12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: tips before pulling transmission from 2002 Reply with quote

Wow. First off, why didn't you remove the intake manifold. That would have given you more room to pull the whole thing w/o discharging the AC and not be so wonky. And your gonna want to do the VC gasket and spark plugs tube seals but no big deal.
I'd remove the stock cooler and add an external cooler, right in front of the AC condenser. and yes the kit comes with new seals.

The rear main seal is easy to do. Hold the Harmonic balancer with a home made tool if you have to, loosen the bolts. Do the front main seal after you put it back in the van?

You can use jack stands to shore up the engine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
markcm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: tips before pulling transmission from 2002 Reply with quote

xavior12 wrote:
Wow. First off, why didn't you remove the intake manifold. That would have given you more room to pull the whole thing w/o discharging the AC and not be so wonky. And your gonna want to do the VC gasket and spark plugs tube seals but no big deal.
I'd remove the stock cooler and add an external cooler, right in front of the AC condenser. and yes the kit comes with new seals.

The rear main seal is easy to do. Hold the Harmonic balancer with a home made tool if you have to, loosen the bolts. Do the front main seal after you put it back in the van?

You can use jack stands to shore up the engine.

We didn't pull the intake before removing the engine because this is our first engine pull and we just winged it; the only documentation we used was the tips we got in this thread and a few other threads we reviewed. Hind sight is 20/20. We are ok on disconnecting the A/C, we have resources to pull it down and recharge it properly afterward.

We have the torque converter off, to access the main seal do we just remove the 8 or so torx bolts holding the plate the TC was bolted to and pull it off? And any idea on what to torque those to when we put them back on?

External cooler, VC and plug gaskets are on our list, thanks for that recommendation.

Jack stands eh? We'll look into that. The engine just seems so awkward and off balance, like there's no comfortable position to rest it in.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: tips before pulling transmission from 2002 Reply with quote

I'm showing

New bolts required

60 Nm initial torque
90 angle tightening, can be done in stages

Torque should be done diagonally of course, standard practice
xavior12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: tips before pulling transmission from 2002 Reply with quote

If your gonna do the chains and all like you said. You might want to get those items I said before.
Get both the intermediate shaft sprockets and its bolt.
Don't forget the coolant pipe to Tstat manifold, the "Crack Pipe".
Check and clean the screen at the back of the cam gear phaser unit.
Get some good quality, gas and oil resistant sealant for all the covers you gonna pull of. Scrape it all clean and then clean it again w/gray scotch pad.
Your gonna need the tools that are used to set up the cams.
Go to TectonicsTuning.com for those tools. It will save time with those tools.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
markcm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: tips before pulling transmission from 2002 Reply with quote

xavior12 wrote:
If your gonna do the chains and all like you said. You might want to get those items I said before.
Get both the intermediate shaft sprockets and its bolt.
Don't forget the coolant pipe to Tstat manifold, the "Crack Pipe".
Check and clean the screen at the back of the cam gear phaser unit.
Get some good quality, gas and oil resistant sealant for all the covers you gonna pull of. Scrape it all clean and then clean it again w/gray scotch pad.
Your gonna need the tools that are used to set up the cams.
Go to TectonicsTuning.com for those tools. It will save time with those tools.

Will do, thank you everyone!
soissisc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: tips before pulling transmission from 2002 Reply with quote

Quote:
Looking for tips on removing the harmonic balancer and flex plate and the seals behind them. how to keep the crank from rotating?

I made a homemade tool, took a socket that fits the hex shape on the balancer and cut it off and welded it to a piece a C channel. Then cut a concentric hole in it so that I could get the socket on the bolt. (This is also the same size socket as the large rear axle nut on the early bay window bus)

That balancer bolt should be replaced as it is a torque then turn 90° or 180° type of affair.

Note 3/4 drive socket ^^ on small hex bolt. This set up broke that loose no problem at all. I had the engine also supported by a cherry picker when I did this in case the thing wanted to tip over. (Safety first lol)

For the flex plate, I would put a bolt thru one of the Torque converter holes and a bolt in a trans mount hole and situate a wrench to prevent the flex plate from turning. From what I gathered you don't want to be applying great force through the crankshaft itself.

68 Westy
92 Jetta (oh it is retired)
99 Eurovan
05 NBC
06 Audi A3
72 Westy (I am going to fix it up)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
markcm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: tips before pulling transmission from 2002 Reply with quote

Good stuff, thanks Mark.
markcm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: tips before pulling transmission from 2002 Reply with quote

We will remove the intake tonight and open up the timing covers. I've been reading some threads and taking notes... This is a late 2002 which I hear don't typically need intermediate gears replaced, I suppose we will know more when the covers are off.

The engine runs great now, we are just doing the chain guides as preventative maintenance. And have read that cleaning the tensioner it a good idea.

Any tips for us moving forward? Do we need the cam alignment tool for replacing the guides?

Also, we've been shopping all over for coolant fittings and hoses, dang they are expensive. The first thing we touched was the 3/4" Tee with 1/4" Tap by the heater core inlet/outlet and it fell apart. This part alone looks to be over $80! And the oil cooler lines are mushy looking from all the oil that has been soaking on them for years. Any tips on where to get some of these TEE's and hoses (OE quality) at better prices would be great. Or which hoses/TEE's are "must replace" vs "not common to fail"
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: tips before pulling transmission from 2002 Reply with quote

I think someone makes cast aluminum versions of some of those tees. I know when I trimmed the coolant lines by deleting the transmission heat exchanger, I used brass ells to replace plastic tees, which I purchased from Home Depot. They might also have brass tees.

y u rune klassik?
xavior12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: tips before pulling transmission from 2002 Reply with quote

The 24V Eurovan I did last had two teeth missing on the cam driven sprocket. If theres any wear replace it. Believe me, If you don't you'll have to go back this far to replace it due to noise from uneven wear.

For the tool to lock the cam's, I'd get them, makes the whole job smoother. Can be done with out but is not easy and you better have resources and tools when it don't work.

The coolant T in the back. Lol, yep. Breath on it and it'll break.
Theres some cast aluminum stuff but kinda spendy unless your gonna keep it for ever.
The lower hose that has your broken T is $130 dealer price? I was thinking of having some of those T fittings and the 12V fittings made up from aluminum. And those bleeder screws!

Try your FLAPS for that fitting in the Help section.

Put the intake on after the engine is installed, before you put the front end back on.
Don't forget the drivers axle!
JMB3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: tips before pulling transmission from 2002 Reply with quote

markcm2 wrote:

Also, we've been shopping all over for coolant fittings and hoses, dang they are expensive. The first thing we touched was the 3/4" Tee with 1/4" Tap by the heater core inlet/outlet and it fell apart. This part alone looks to be over $80! And the oil cooler lines are mushy looking from all the oil that has been soaking on them for years. Any tips on where to get some of these TEE's and hoses (OE quality) at better prices would be great. Or which hoses/TEE's are "must replace" vs "not common to fail"

If mine breaks again I'll be replacing it with the mini Cooper part noted in the wiki article.

http://vweurovan.wikia.com/wiki/Heater_Hose_Tee
markcm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: tips before pulling transmission from 2002 Reply with quote

JMB3 wrote:
If mine breaks again I'll be replacing it with the mini Cooper part noted in the wiki article.

http://vweurovan.wikia.com/wiki/Heater_Hose_Tee

AWESOME! Thanks for this link!!!

Here's our progress. Next step is to watch the youtube video and our parts should be here any day to install the timing chain kit.

Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: tips before pulling transmission from 2002 Reply with quote

As mentioned in that Wikia article, the brass ell I referenced earlier is a Pex unit with small ridged barbs that I assume help hold the hose in place. I would prefer brass to steel or plastic. Note that the stock tee states that it's 30% glass fiber reinforced, so any plastic tee you buy better at least have that designation or it will be even weaker than stock.

y u rune klassik?
xavior12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: tips before pulling transmission from 2002 Reply with quote

Looks normal to me.
Look closely at the sprockets on the intermediate shaft sprockets, I bet you'll find some wear on them. Replace them.

The crank sprocket has a tooth that has been shaved at an angle, that tooth should line up with the main bearing cap. FYI. Thats where the crank should be when reassembling chains and tensioners.

Don't forget the new seals for the phaser solenoids.

It might give you more room to maneuver the engine when reinstalling so remove the exhaust manifolds. That allows for the cherry picker to get closer to that hook. The Kombi valve/heater hose in the back uses one gasket so might want that one too?

Be very mindful of that head gasket as to not damage it when your scraping and cleaning all the surfaces.

Clock the phasers in the right direction and then install the chain.
markcm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: tips before pulling transmission from 2002 Reply with quote

Can you link us to the seals for the phaser solenoids? We don't have that apart yet and we're having a hard time identifying them.

And is the cam tensioner oil screen that is known for plugging up or disintegrating a replaceable part without buying a complete new tensioner?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: