Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oops, just bought a UK-spec 1967 1500 beetle!
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
FunkyOldPatina
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:23 pm    Post subject: Oops, just bought a UK-spec 1967 1500 beetle! Reply with quote

Well it was no mistake, I've been after a 1500 67 for ages and a pre-Xmas bargain turned up on ebay so who was I to refuse? I was so chuffed when I felt the front discs tucked behind those nasty Centrelines confirming it is a 1500!

This being a Feb 1967 it's roughly in the middle of the production year.

RHD with US-spec bumpers (can't be too many of those in the UK?) but without the supports that go through the wings - can't see any VW stamp on them so who knows? Not sure if the rear bumper is correct as the one year only modified overrider bar to clear the decklid doesn't look the same as a few other 67 ones I've seen unfortunately.

Car was restored around 10 years ago I'd say judging from the tyres dated 2008 and general paint condition etc. It's had a new front valence and bumper mounts but not the wheel well afaik, new heater channels but floors seem OE?

Needs a few small bits of welding like the end of the heater channel (small patch rusted through) and a few other bits but nothing major it would appear.

Now these UK cars are a bit different from the US counterparts as they still keep the sloping headlights and the 6v setup.

This car has had a 67 bus B-code engine 1600 swapped into it with an alternator conversion (so it's now 12v) but it is locked up so I'm not sure what the best plan of attack is at the moment as I've never (wanted to) rebuilt an engine?

Seats look to be original, headlining has been replaced and it used to have rear pop-out windows but these are long gone unfortunately.

The original colour from the rear valence seems to be Zenith blue but I'm not sure I have the time/patience etc. to strip back each panel to see what's underneath but who knows!

Easy jobs list to do:
Rear lights are wrong but an easy swap.
Get rid of those nasty Centrelines and SS running boards.
Replace one of the front spotlights as I like the look (but probably won't bother hooking it up).
Swap out the nasty aftermarket steering wheel, but I've only got a basic later 1200 one at the moment, but it will do until I find the right one.

I have a few questions so far:
1. It still has the original reversing light which is cool but I'm not sure if it should have one or two of them?

2.Plans are to get OE 4-stud wheels on it but I'm not sure if they're the same as the later 4-stud wheels that are out there or not? Can anyone confirm please?

There's still a few of these around in the UK but not that many 1500s.

Anyway, here's a few pics to do the talking!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Oops, just bought a UK-spec 1967 1500 beetle! Reply with quote

Disc brake 1500 '67s are really nice! Great find!

Many of the usual vices have been perpetrated on this car, but they are undo-able, like rear lamps, 009, non-OEM air cleaner & breather, power pulley, etc. But you probably know all about those. And the lack of an exhaust system! Wink

4-lug wheels are pretty standard as far as fit, but at some point, they added the safety humps, and these are known as J-type rims. Both will fit but the latter are much more desirable for safety with tubeless radials. Also, don't mix them with similar Type 3 wheels that have the same lug pattern but a different offset.

Should have both reverse lights.

Clue that bumpers are not original are the rubber grommets at the ends of the towel bars.

Around here (US), we like the plain Euro bumpers, maybe with the small bumper guards. And you don't have to fill in the fender holes to use them like we do!

Last edited by KTPhil on Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:18 pm; edited 4 times in total
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Oops, just bought a UK-spec 1967 1500 beetle! Reply with quote

Plastic grommets between the overrider bars and the blades tell me those are cheap aftermarket bumpers, not original VW.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
lovethatconvertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Oops, just bought a UK-spec 1967 1500 beetle! Reply with quote

Engine needs some tidying up. Nice Car.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Oops, just bought a UK-spec 1967 1500 beetle! Reply with quote

For your 4-bolt stock steel wheels, realize that there were several variations over the years. 4" and 4.5" width, various offset, and of course the color scheme. The black and cream wheels which would've been factory original on your '67 were 4" wide. Just make sure you get a fully matched set as to the width and offset.
Murt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: Oops, just bought a UK-spec 1967 1500 beetle! Reply with quote

Hi there
I’m not a fan of the Centrelines either, but it’s a lovely little bug. Any more photos. ? Interior. ?
What I do like is the general look of the wheels and tyres though, would you know what size the wheels are ? And what tyre sizes you’re running ?
Cheers
Dave
2017 Golf GTD saloon
2008 VW EOS 2.0 TFSi
FunkyOldPatina
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Oops, just bought a UK-spec 1967 1500 beetle! Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Thanks for your replies. I think with a little bit of work the car could be really nice.

I bought it blind as well (which I wouldn't recommend) just from some not-very-good photos but the price I got it for I knew I couldn't lose as it was definitely a 67.

I've heard from elsewhere the '67 1500 has a clutch pressure plate with centre thrust ring, which I'm not sure if this one would still have with its 67 bus engine until I remove it. I was hoping to slot in a later 72 1300cc twin port I have to hand as the current engine in it is locked up. Not the sort of 'locked up from being in a barn for 30 years' locked up but the sort of 'locked up because someone has trashed it' sort of locked up. Shocked

I will get some more pictures of the inside. I was really pleased to see the roll-topped seat covers in it with the pattern going over the top to part way down the rear of the seat. I even got a funky removable headrest in there as well!

The respray was actually done pretty well. Other than where the decklid has had a slight knock and a bit round the drivers side door hinge there's no other indication so far as to its previous Zenith Blue.

Thanks for the wheel info. I think I will try to hunt out some 4.5J's as these are more plentiful over here and I've always preferred the look of a slightly wider whel. I've never really looked that closely at them before though so will need to try and find some markings on them (hopefully not covered in layers of old paint) to see what year they are etc.

With these 4.5J 4-stud wheels, do they then take the standard flat 1968-on hubcaps?

The wheel at the top-left of this picture looks like it would have the right colour combination to have come off the Zenith blue car also in the pic:

The centrelines currently temporarily on the car are 15's (not sure of width) and have 195's on the back and 175s on the front. I didn't take a look at the widths but need to swap the front and back wheels over on the near side (passengers side on a UK car) as some numpty got them round the wrong way! So the drivers side has the correct set up and I quite like the 175 front and 195 back look - always liked a bit of tyre under the wings/fenders.

The car has had an adjuster put in at the front but must have been wound up quite a lot, and is standard at the rear I think. I have no intentions of it going any lower than it is as there's a plague of speed bumps all over the UK. Crying or Very sad

Thanks guys for your thoughts and I'll be back with some more pictures soon.[/img]

Last edited by FunkyOldPatina on Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:28 am; edited 1 time in total
FunkyOldPatina
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Oops, just bought a UK-spec 1967 1500 beetle! Reply with quote

The main problem I have finding out what should/shouldn't be on the car is that most 67 1500 beetle pics are of US-spec cars - there seem to be very few UK RHD 1500 pics out there.

I've even resorted to looking at UK project cars pictures to see if there's any original looking parts on them!

Examples being seat-belts - I'm not sure if the UK bugs should have the lap only version with the strange set up on the B-pillar as shown on Chris Vallone's 1967 US-spec bug at 1m5 secs in.

Link

Is this a US only seatbelt or a US/UK/European version? Can't see anything anywhere to confirm?

I know my car will never be 100% original but I do want to try and take it back as close to stock as possible.[/youtube]
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Oops, just bought a UK-spec 1967 1500 beetle! Reply with quote

Funky, even though that upper left wheel in the 2-tone colors appears to be correct for a Euro '67, that color combo was utilized on the 4" rims. VW went to silver-painted rims for the '70 model year, though those were still 4". What I would suggest is to find a set of 4.5" rims from a '72 Standard or Super Beetle. In the USA those had an offset of 34mm (stamped into the wheel center as "ET34"); then paint them the 2-tone scheme. That particular rim had the "deepest dish" effect. All other 4.5" rims had a larger offset number such as ET41, ET46 which brings the tire surface inwards, away from the fender edge. Easy way to determine a general reference for the offset is to lay a straightedge/yardstick across the center hump and see if the outer rim portion is higher or lower than the center. If the yardstick has a gap to the center hump, that indicates more outward offset. Chances are that would be an ET34 rim.

Hubcaps from '68 onwards Beetles, Type 3, Ghia, and even Type 2 fit.

Remarkably, Chris Vallone had a left-hand steering Euro '67 at his shop a few years ago. I live close by so it was very interesting for me to visit him and see this unusual car in person. It was a low-mileage car which he had shipped from California. This particular car had the US-spec bumpers, which was a factory option. Here's a shot in the "as-purchased" condition. The wheels and hubcaps are correct:

Album here; start at the bottom for the as-purchased condition-
http://www.classicvwbugs.com/67Euro/

For your safety belts, I would strongly recommend 3-point belts rather than the US-spec "holster" retractable lap belt assemblies. Either get manual 3-point belts, or better yet, some inertia reel belts which fasten to your existing bolt anchors. This is a small concession to originality for much improved occupant safety.

Yes, after you remove your engine, take a photo of the pressure plate on the engine. If your 1300DP does not have the matching style, then just remove it from the original engine and install onto the 1300. Remember- snug all 6 bolts hand-tight, then tighten in a cross-wise pattern 1/2 turn at a time until you reach the 18 ft.lb. And make certain the clutch disc is centered before you do your final PP tightening.
FunkyOldPatina
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Oops, just bought a UK-spec 1967 1500 beetle! Reply with quote

Hi Rome,

Some fantastic information there, thank you very much!

Regarding the wheels, I've always preferred wider standard wheels as more rubber can be put under the wings, and when push comes to shove every bit of rubber you can put onto the road is a good thing lol. I'm not into low profiles - the standard height (55 is it referred to now?) is good enough.

I've had ET34 standard wheels in the past which I sold on - wish I hadn't done that now as they were in great condition but I'll find some more.

Thanks for the hubcap info - got some of those stashed so will sort out the best 4x of them.

Excellent link there thank you of Chris' 67 and I will be downloading that lot to view at my leisure. It looks like a 1500 based on the 4-stud wheels and the carb air cleaner? I've found you can never have enough pictures of these cars as you're never quite sure sometimes if something has been changed or not.

Just a quick look through those pics and already I've seen some odities such as:
1. The dash picture shows a steering column key which is odd as I thought those came in in 68 for Euro bugs?
2. No visible hazard light switch either which would normally be opposite the key switch by the side of the ashtray? (I see it's under the dash which is weird?)
3. The front seat back material doesn't disappear all the way over the top of the seat - although this could be because it is an early 67 seat perhaps, as mine has the side button, not the access at the bottom of the seat like Chris' one does?
4. Single reversing light like mine has (on the lhs), but Chris' is on the rhs as you look at the back of the car.
+ more.

These 67s seem to be a law unto themselves and whoever raided the parts bin upon assembly!!

I do have 3-point inertia seatbelts fitted into the car which I will check over and use in the meantime. I've never seen any of those 2-point belts with the gearbox tunnel mounts so that could be something to look out for at shows.

I'm really pleased you posted up that info on the engine and my 1300 as it could be an easy way round the current problem I have - a seized engine! I will definitely take pics when I've removed it and the 1300 which is currently in a vehicle awaiting removal as well. Great info on the torquing as well - much appreciated and I will definitely refer back to this thread when I refit!

Thanks again for the info, and if you have any other links to standard Euro 67s (especially 1500s) I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd like to see them? Very Happy

Cheers
Herrbern
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Oops, just bought a UK-spec 1967 1500 beetle! Reply with quote

FunkyOldPatina wrote:
Hi Rome,

Some fantastic information there, thank you very much!

Regarding the wheels, I've always preferred wider standard wheels as more rubber can be put under the wings, and when push comes to shove every bit of rubber you can put onto the road is a good thing lol. I'm not into low profiles - the standard height (55 is it referred to now?) is good enough.

I've had ET34 standard wheels in the past which I sold on - wish I hadn't done that now as they were in great condition but I'll find some more.

Thanks for the hubcap info - got some of those stashed so will sort out the best 4x of them.

Excellent link there thank you of Chris' 67 and I will be downloading that lot to view at my leisure. It looks like a 1500 based on the 4-stud wheels and the carb air cleaner? I've found you can never have enough pictures of these cars as you're never quite sure sometimes if something has been changed or not.

Just a quick look through those pics and already I've seen some odities such as:
1. The dash picture shows a steering column key which is odd as I thought those came in in 68 for Euro bugs?
2. No visible hazard light switch either which would normally be opposite the key switch by the side of the ashtray? (I see it's under the dash which is weird?)
3. The front seat back material doesn't disappear all the way over the top of the seat - although this could be because it is an early 67 seat perhaps, as mine has the side button, not the access at the bottom of the seat like Chris' one does?
4. Single reversing light like mine has (on the lhs), but Chris' is on the rhs as you look at the back of the car.
+ more.

These 67s seem to be a law unto themselves and whoever raided the parts bin upon assembly!!

I do have 3-point inertia seatbelts fitted into the car which I will check over and use in the meantime. I've never seen any of those 2-point belts with the gearbox tunnel mounts so that could be something to look out for at shows.

I'm really pleased you posted up that info on the engine and my 1300 as it could be an easy way round the current problem I have - a seized engine! I will definitely take pics when I've removed it and the 1300 which is currently in a vehicle awaiting removal as well. Great info on the torquing as well - much appreciated and I will definitely refer back to this thread when I refit!

Thanks again for the info, and if you have any other links to standard Euro 67s (especially 1500s) I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd like to see them? Very Happy

Cheers

For the ignition switch on the side of the steering, that is the Neiman locking system which blocks the steering wheel. An anti-theft system standard in Germany for instance.
The hazard switch was standard in some countries like the USA and not available in France for instance. Its position may also differ from country standards. On my belgian 67 vert it’s under the dash, right next to the steering column.
The backup lights were an option in Europe. My 67 convertible has both lights like the US version, but I suspect a dealer installation.
Your 1500 should look like the 1500 beetle of an official VW 1967 ad.
Good luck on your restauration.
FunkyOldPatina
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Oops, just bought a UK-spec 1967 1500 beetle! Reply with quote

Hi Herrbern. Thanks for the info on the Euro changes made. I was actually looking for a 67 UK beetle dealers booklet to see what it may have looked like 50 years ago now. I love that old literature - the closest I'll get to seeing a new old bug!
Bob Loblaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Oops, just bought a UK-spec 1967 1500 beetle! Reply with quote

FunkyOldPatina wrote:
Hi Herrbern. Thanks for the info on the Euro changes made. I was actually looking for a 67 UK beetle dealers booklet to see what it may have looked like 50 years ago now. I love that old literature - the closest I'll get to seeing a new old bug!

Just caught your username now.
Tone Loc.
Noice.
Murt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:28 am    Post subject: Re: Oops, just bought a UK-spec 1967 1500 beetle! Reply with quote

I feel exactly like you regarding the rubber on the road, I got my first Beetle last year in September time, and joined this site to find out as much as I can about the car. There are guys on here, who seriously know their sh*t on VW’s, and I love reading about all this stuff. Very Happy
I’m looking at getting some Fuch’s replica wheels and tyres for mine, and thinking about moving away from standard wheel/Tyres, and putting on 5.5J x 5x205 15” wheels, with 175x65x15’s on the front, with 195x65x15’s on the rear, and hopefully fill out the arches a bit, these wheels are sold as ET20, and are very nice looking.
One thing that has struck me, is how quickly this hobby, is overtaking my life Laughing , and my bank balance !! For example
I really like the ‘67 rear towel rail bumper like yours, and I managed to find an OEM 67 rear in Italy, I managed to get it posted to me, all for €200 in the end, I dropped it of at a Rechroming/Metal repair specialist on the Friday before Christmas, and they have quoted me £585.00p to restore it to perfection, just the blade part was £265 !!
Mine is sitting in the garage, and I’m really looking forward to the new year, and some decent weather, and to get out on the road
Good luck with yours, and I’ll be watching your thread
Dave
2017 Golf GTD saloon
2008 VW EOS 2.0 TFSi
flyboy161
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: Oops, just bought a UK-spec 1967 1500 beetle! Reply with quote

FunkyOldPatina wrote:

Here you go. 1967 UK brochure, found in the Archives tab up top, and then under Literature.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/67beetle.php
Enjoy

The 1964...Diamond in the rough
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=612776

My 1958 Morocco Bug-
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=611483
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FunkyOldPatina
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Oops, just bought a UK-spec 1967 1500 beetle! Reply with quote

Murt wrote:
I feel exactly like you regarding the rubber on the road, I got my first Beetle last year in September time, and joined this site to find out as much as I can about the car. There are guys on here, who seriously know their sh*t on VW’s, and I love reading about all this stuff. Very Happy
I’m looking at getting some Fuch’s replica wheels and tyres for mine, and thinking about moving away from standard wheel/Tyres, and putting on 5.5J x 5x205 15” wheels, with 175x65x15’s on the front, with 195x65x15’s on the rear, and hopefully fill out the arches a bit, these wheels are sold as ET20, and are very nice looking.

Hi Dave. Yours being a 66 5-studder means you have more choice of better looking wheels. Is it an early 1500 or a 1300 originally?

I'm sure I'm not the only one on here (actually I know I'm not!) that has been through a few beetles on their quest for one that floats their boat. I'd been after a 67 for a while and when I saw this was a 1500 I couldn't resist. My first car was a 1500 bug and it does stick with you. Nearly 30 years on and I'd traded up to a 67.

Apart from the really early cars (early oval and older) which are now out of my price range (and therefore interest) these 67s are the ultimate for those who love the finer details of bugs. You can fill your boots with the oddities of 67s!

Good luck with yours.
FunkyOldPatina
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Oops, just bought a UK-spec 1967 1500 beetle! Reply with quote

flyboy161 wrote:
Here you go. 1967 UK brochure, found in the Archives tab up top, and then under Literature.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/67beetle.php
Enjoy

Thanks a lot for this! I think I may have to try and find an original copy of this one. Lots of lovely pervy close-ups of 67 loveliness Laughing
FunkyOldPatina
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Oops, just bought a UK-spec 1967 1500 beetle! Reply with quote

Had a split second to take a picture of what I think is the original rear apron.

Underneath a few different layers of paint I think is the OE colour of Zenith blue, which I've found round the drivers door hinge as well. Unfortunately my phone pic seems to have washed out the blueness as it looks white in the pic (which it is not).

It really is a lovely colour. I might not be able to resist testing out each panel to see if it has OE Zenith lurking underneath the black Cool

There don't seem to be many Zenith blue UK/Euro spec (ie sloping headlight) bugs on Google image search - nearly all of them seem to be US spec.
FunkyOldPatina
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Oops, just bought a UK-spec 1967 1500 beetle! Reply with quote

No real excitement to report, other than doing a bit of research in to what parts I need to purchase to be "67 Appropriate" Laughing

An easy purchase will be the black plastic (I think they should be?) window winder surrounds. The drivers window is a nightmare so will need looking at at some point in time but that point is not now!

This is what I have now:

I think the winders are correct (grey spinning handle part and chrome connector) for a 67?
*EDIT* Just seen they should be black and are very hard to find.

It's a shame the chrome trim piece has come out of the passengers side (RHD remember) door pull. Hopefully I can find a ratty pull and nab the chrome trim off it!

Anyway, the car came with this odd glovebox lid latch which I quite like - has anyone seen one of these before? The inside of it looks to be correct but the outside is strange:

I've not taken it apart to see if there's a makers mark in there.

On a side note I'm really enjoying learning more about the oddities of the 67 1500 bug Cool
FunkyOldPatina
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Oops, just bought a UK-spec 1967 1500 beetle! Reply with quote

Another small update. When I bought the car the current owner didn't get the keys, but the previous owner gave them to him after I recently enquired and I got them in the post today.

The VW key iirc is for the door handle (drivers side only), possibly the decklid lock? and the other black plastic encased one I'm guessing is for the ignition? Only trouble is though that it's twisted which may mean the lock is shafted as well.

I should be able to check tomorrow and will update.

Is the VW key the correct style for the car? It's on a K-code.

Thanks.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: