Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ball joints Lemforder upper lower tie rod end
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:42 am    Post subject: Ball joints Lemforder upper lower tie rod end Reply with quote

Ho, ho-ho !

I just ordered some ball joints for a customer. I decided upon Lemförder (Lemfoerder)

Upper ball joints, in 2017 if you look at pictures online, Febi and Moog look identical, so I decided to not go this way, the last tie rod end I got from Moog, one was skinny (from Turkey), the other one beefy (from Spain)

I ordered Lemförder all around.

Here are some pictures:

Lower ball joint 251407187 , Lemfoerder 1015903
Made in Germany
Upper ball joint 251407361 , Lemfoerder 1016202
Made in China ( sigh Rolling Eyes )

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Tie rod end ball joint 251419811 or 171419812 , Lemfoerder 1025102
Made in Germany
On the left is the 2017 order
On the right is a NOS Lemfoerder tie rod end, I think the packaging said 1996 somewhere on it. Lemforder 022115553617 . I ordered it just because I found out it was an "old" one. Can't go wrong with piling up good stuff from back in the days for myself

Apparently VW part number 171419812 is the same part as 477419815 , or 477419811 and more. Gotta use em all when shopping around wisely Smile
Those tie rod ends are found on many different cars like Porsche, VW, even some Volvo's.

So I ordered these :

And I received the one with no castellated nut. I believe the production must have changed rather recently. We're in an ever changing world of auto parts, that's not new, but it's tough to follow up. By the time somebody reads these lines, who knows what the next batch will look like?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Ball joints Lemforder upper lower tie rod end Reply with quote

ALIKA T3 wrote:

Upper ball joints, in 2017 if you look at pictures online, Febi and Moog look identical, so I decided to not go this way,

Febi and Moog upper ball joints are not the same. I can positively confirm that.

Quote:

And along with that "Made in China" comes a host of problems. That is exactly why I stopped carrying them.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Ball joints Lemforder upper lower tie rod end Reply with quote

Find some NOS ones. Change the rubber and add some new grease.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Ball joints Lemforder upper lower tie rod end Reply with quote

kawfee wrote:
Find some NOS ones. Change the rubber and add some new grease.

Hi Kawfee !
Ideally yes, but not easy Confused

Hi Chris!

Christopher Schimke wrote:
ALIKA T3 wrote:

Upper ball joints, in 2017 if you look at pictures online, Febi and Moog look identical, so I decided to not go this way,

Febi and Moog upper ball joints are not the same. I can positively confirm that.
Oh, good, that's good news, bc shopping around looking at pics, a lot of them look like just rebranded stuff. Where are the upper ball joints made these days from Moog? I liked their tie rod ends with the zerk fitting when I bought some a few years back.
Quote:

And along with that "Made in China" comes a host of problems. That is exactly why I stopped carrying them.
Damn it, from outside they look ok of course, have you cut one open?
I cut an old VW lower one from 1985, it was so dead, 1" of play, I don't now how it's possible to drive around til that point! But interesting to see how the cups are assembled inside. I have to find the pics if I still have em.
At least the upper ball joint is a 15min job Cool

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: