Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Eberspaecher BA4 Overhaul
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspaecher BA4 Overhaul Reply with quote

titan3c wrote:
I got the glow plug disconnected, but I'm not sure how to disconnect the coil wires.. Does the metal strap on top move to one side, and then pull straight up. Bob

The coil wires have three connections. The two wires going to it are standard female connectors and just pull sideways in the direction they come from.

The high tension lead is just like a spark plug. Pull it off of the glowplug and leave it connected to the coil.

Make note of what color wire goes where on both glowplug and coil. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: Eberspaecher BA4 Overhaul Reply with quote

Your way ahead of me. I was just wondering about the coil plug on top of the unit. I haven't pulled it yet because it is strange to me, and I wanted to be sure before I pulled on it. It has a metal hold down over the top of a flat round white plug. The metal hold down pushes to the left to allow the plug to be removed. My assumption is the plug is removed by simply pulling up on it. Bob
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Eberspaecher BA4 Overhaul Reply with quote

Ok I think I'm just now getting it. The glow plug top disconnect goes to the coil, and stays there. The white plug I mentioned is a boot over the coil connections, and the two wires(not the glow plug wire) have to be removed.
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Eberspaecher BA4 Overhaul Reply with quote

I pulled the white boot, and it isn't what I thought. It is a sensor of some kind.
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Eberspaecher BA4 Overhaul Reply with quote

Sorry I'm a little thick headed. That white boot I pulled I think is the overheating sensor/switch---I think. I just discovered where the coil is and the two wires you mentioned. The old saying "Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around". Bob
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspaecher BA4 Overhaul Reply with quote

I've been off this project for a couple of days, and now I ran into a problem. The rear mounting bolts on the unit will not clear the mounting brackets. The front ones are slotted and the back ones have to me pushed up and over the mounting bracket. The clearance just won't allow it. The only thing I see to do is to figure a way to pry pressure(somehow) between the bracket and the unit to give the bolt enough room to clear. It only lacks about a eighth of an inch.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspaecher BA4 Overhaul Reply with quote

Sorry for the long delay. Out of the country.

Typically if memory serves.....the slotted end goes in first then the hard bolted end....but....all four points should be on hexagon rubber hangers. Let me lo9k in my parts b9ok to see whar is happening. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspaecher BA4 Overhaul Reply with quote

It looks like during assembly the slotted mounts were used to allyne the rear bolts with the rear mount and the unit was pressed to snap in. The rear bolts have a snubbed unthreaded end for that purpose. That works good going in but not for coming out.

That's what it looks like to me.

When I say rear I'm mean the end next to the back seat, and front towards the rear of the car.
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspaecher BA4 Overhaul Reply with quote

Also I have been working with the assumption the mounting bolts were permanently affixed to the unit. Maybe they can be worked loose.
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Eberspaecher BA4 Overhaul Reply with quote

OK problem solved. Took the car to a local shop, and showed them the problem, and before I walked away and turned around they had it loose. Don't know how they did it, but it's fine with me. Now I have to finish unhooking stuff, and try to wiggle it out. Bob
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: Eberspaecher BA4 Overhaul Reply with quote

I have two small wires yellow with a black stripe attached to the back of the unit looks like going to the car body. What is this?
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Eberspaecher BA4 Overhaul Reply with quote

Terry, I would love to see any pictures you may have of the wiring harness connection. Bob
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspaecher BA4 Overhaul Reply with quote

Bob will send pictures sometime tomorrow .

Terry
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspaecher BA4 Overhaul Reply with quote

Trying to remove the unit from the car, but haven't got the wiring harness loose yet. After several attempts to maneuver the unit to get to the wiring harness release bolt, and get the unit out I have come to one conclusion. It will not come out with the blower attached. So I'm looking at how to remove the blower. I see what seems to be a connecting clamp with a bolt on one side. Is that what releases the blower? Bob
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspaecher BA4 Overhaul Reply with quote

Bob: here are photos of the heater harness.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspaecher BA4 Overhaul Reply with quote

Bob; here is one more electric connection.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

On the top of this is a bakealite with three terminals. #1 needs a red wire, #2 needs a black wire, #3 needs a black, yellow and black and a black and white. #1 on the bakealite says normally closed, #2 terminal says normally open, #3 is called "common".

I hope this helps, let me know

Terry
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspaecher BA4 Overhaul Reply with quote

Bob the first picture is of the heater. The blower is fastened on with a clamp screw has a straight screwdriver head and a 10 mm nut.

Let me know Terry
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspaecher BA4 Overhaul Reply with quote

Thanks Terry, yes that helps. I'm having trouble getting access to the top of the unit to release the harness bolt. The problem is the blower won't allow me to turn the unit so I can get to it. So I'll just remove the blower.
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Eberspaecher BA4 Overhaul Reply with quote

Need two hoses 411 261 725 and 411 261 423. Are these available?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Eberspaecher BA4 Overhaul Reply with quote

titan3c wrote:
Need two hoses 411 261 725 and 411 261 423. Are these available?

Let me look in the parts book....but there really,shouldnt be anything on the heater that cannot be made from regular carb rated or fuel rated hose stock. Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: