Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Not crazy about these coconuts
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goach2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:07 pm    Post subject: Not crazy about these coconuts Reply with quote

So since I have so many jobs on the go with my bus, I decided to tackle some of the interior. The front seats had a very 'crispy' feel to them and looked like shredded wheat piled under them. Pulling the covers showed that there wasn't much left to the padding or coconut fiber coverings. I see so many people putting the fiber back into them. Is this really necessary? Or is this more to keep them original? Are there any synthetic products that work just as well. (Or better?) I really just wanted to clean the covers, but I can't put them back together now, without addressing it.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Not crazy about these coconuts Reply with quote

2017 - 1977 = 40 years. What furniture do you own whose posterior has sat on it daily for 40 years without wear? Go to the wrecking yard and look at 10 - 20 year old car seats. You won't find many that aren't rotted.
hylomatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Not crazy about these coconuts Reply with quote

The coconut fiber (horse hair) pads restore the seat's to they're correct shape and are very comfortable to sit on for long and short journeys.

I used the fiber padding in my bus and thing. When I redo my seats in my Ghia, I'll use fiber there as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:01 am    Post subject: Re: Not crazy about these coconuts Reply with quote

My wife uses pieces of carpet the replace the fibers, seems to work very well.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:15 am    Post subject: Re: Not crazy about these coconuts Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
2017 - 1977 = 40 years. What furniture do you own whose posterior has sat on it daily for 40 years without wear?

Razz

1) The tower Operator's chair from AT&SF Railway's Stockton Tower. Solid oak, no metal fasteners, built sometime in the 1940's or 50's and about as plain as they get. Very comfortable. Solid enough to cause serious injury if you threw it at some deserving asshole. But it's not in my bus.

2) The 1930's hardwood Banker's chair given to me by the family of Dwelle & Dwelle of Fresno. I can fall asleep in that thing. Again, not going in the bus.

Sarcasm... just one more service I offer. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WESTYJACK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Not crazy about these coconuts Reply with quote

Look at this
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=691092&highlight=
Goach2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Not crazy about these coconuts Reply with quote

Thanks WestyJack. Is this your first reupholster job? Looks great.

Reading through the endless threads on this, if I was to score the responses, I would have to say the hair-cushions from WW are the most loved.

I will continue to ponder it Wink
ccpalmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Not crazy about these coconuts Reply with quote

I used coconut then added 1/2" of foam a few years later. The foam made a difference.
Goach2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Not crazy about these coconuts Reply with quote

What kind of foam would that be? I've also read that 'funfur' is a really good topper.
ccpalmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Not crazy about these coconuts Reply with quote

Goach2 wrote:
What kind of foam would that be? I've also read that 'funfur' is a really good topper.

Just whatever foam the local fabric store carried. I think it was green.
Goach2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Not crazy about these coconuts Reply with quote

Everyone seems to hog-tie the burlap down, what about using small zip-ties?
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Not crazy about these coconuts Reply with quote

Goach2 wrote:
Everyone seems to hog-tie the burlap down, what about using small zip-ties?

Hog rings are easy, cheap, and last a long time. I am betting they are a bit tougher than zip ties.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Not crazy about these coconuts Reply with quote

I did the front seats in the 74 Westy with the high density foam. Works great.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CessnaJon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Not crazy about these coconuts Reply with quote

I used the Wolfsburg West original style cushions. Maybe I didn’t use enough padding as they are terribly uncomfortable. Seat heters were added when I had them apart- highly recommend.If I had it to do over again I’d use foam.
2015 Sportwagon TDI 6sp
LR-JET, Gulfstream 159
Lil Lulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Not crazy about these coconuts Reply with quote

I did my seats this spring with covers from Sewfine. I used their foam. It came out beautiful. Very comfortable on long drives. I did over 3500 miles this spring and summer.

One thing that I think is important on these seats is the hard foam piece at the top of the seat frame. I used the original for the passenger seat and got another seat from Avery’s that had the springs broken but that piece was good. The replacement one from Sewfine was $125 each. Shocked Without that piece being perfect, the tops of the seats look like shit.

'72 Deluxe - Niagara Blue w/pastelwiess Camper Special 2L dual 40 Webers 002

'74 Hightop Weekender "Dixie" 1800 34 Del singles
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Not crazy about these coconuts Reply with quote

How did coconuts get into GERMANY anyhow? They aren't migratory animals
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Not crazy about these coconuts Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

During the North African Campaign, duh Rolling Eyes

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Not crazy about these coconuts Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Abscate wrote:

During the North African Campaign, duh Rolling Eyes

Ha! Laughing
914guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Not crazy about these coconuts Reply with quote

I have reupholstered seats like notchboy. We used high density foam and they are comfortable
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Not crazy about these coconuts Reply with quote

I find it odd that my WW coconut fiber seat pads are relatively comfortable in my bugs. In my 1970 bus, I hate them! I may take the seats back apart and add foam over the top of the coconut.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: