Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My new April of 1955 oval
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Chrisisw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:58 am    Post subject: Re: My new April of 1955 oval Reply with quote

That is one fine car you got, and I love what you are doing to it. Applause

Last edited by Chrisisw on Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:03 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: My new April of 1955 oval Reply with quote

Chrisisw wrote:
That was s one fine car you got, and I love what you are doing to it. Applause

Thank you! I just can’t wait to get the whole car shiny again. It still hasn’t really set in that I found an oval this solid.
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: My new April of 1955 oval Reply with quote

I got a couple more things accomplished, but everything else is going pretty slow. I did get to speak to the 2nd owner of my car, and found out he purchased the car from Pardee & Mozart in Palo Alto, CA. He said the original owner bought it new there, then traded it in with 36,000 miles for a squareback. (Apparently he needed more room for his golf clubs.) I also got a ton of parts for the car that he still had. I got the original rear brake parts, the original starter, the original dated coil and correct coil bracket, the original battery cover and strap, and the best part of all, the original egg taillight brackets! There were some other misc parts, but I didn't care about anything after seeing the taillight brackets. Here's a few more progress pictures...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: My new April of 1955 oval Reply with quote

That's really cool that you got to talk with him! Were you able to show him pictures of your progress so far? Amazing that he still had all of those parts...I can only imagine your excitement to pull out some egg tail light brackets, hoping the housings would emerge next!! As nice as that paint is coming out, you'll be able to paint match some fairly easy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: My new April of 1955 oval Reply with quote

motofly196 wrote:
That's really cool that you got to talk with him! Were you able to show him pictures of your progress so far? Amazing that he still had all of those parts...I can only imagine your excitement to pull out some egg tail light brackets, hoping the housings would emerge next!! As nice as that paint is coming out, you'll be able to paint match some fairly easy.

I felt like I won the lottery when I saw those brackets lol. I knew the taillights wouldn’t be in there, he had told me they were stolen years ago. I’m going to send him some pictures soon for sure. I’m trying to finish all of the paint before I show him, but I’ll probably send the progress so far.
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: My new April of 1955 oval Reply with quote

I got a few more things done to my 55 in between working on other cars. I stripped the crappy grey paint off of the ebrake handle and painted it the correct color, started painting the bumper brackets, hand polished the rear H apron, restored the horn, and cleaned and detailed the original coil for my car that the second owner took off because he thought it went bad, but it ended up being the fiber cam gear that had stripped some teeth. And yes, I will get to replacing the pump to carb fuel line soon lol.

motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: My new April of 1955 oval Reply with quote

Now you need one of these stickers.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-VW-Bosch-6-Volt-C...1438.l2649
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: My new April of 1955 oval Reply with quote

motofly196 wrote:
Now you need one of these stickers.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-VW-Bosch-6-Volt-C...1438.l2649

I know, I need to order a few of those just to have.
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: My new April of 1955 oval Reply with quote

I've ordered 2 times from him now, very reasonable shipping prices and fairly fast considering how far they are traveling. I've bought things in my same state that took longer to receive.
I'd rather have a water transfer sticker, but these are great quality.
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: My new April of 1955 oval Reply with quote

motofly196 wrote:
I've ordered 2 times from him now, very reasonable shipping prices and fairly fast considering how far they are traveling. I've bought things in my same state that took longer to receive.
I'd rather have a water transfer sticker, but these are great quality.

The original coil decals weren’t water transfer though, I like the normal decals better than a after transfer.
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: My new April of 1955 oval Reply with quote

Originals stickers sure are thin like a water transfer. These new ones are thicker than an original, but other than that they are great looking.
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: My new April of 1955 oval Reply with quote

motofly196 wrote:
Originals stickers sure are thin like a water transfer. These new ones are thicker than an original, but other than that they are great looking.

The correct air cleaner ones are more difficult to find. Those seem like a water transfer or painted on.
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: My new April of 1955 oval Reply with quote

There used to be someone here that sold 54 55 ones for 10 bucks a few years back. I should bought a few. Those are THIN! I still need some....
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: My new April of 1955 oval Reply with quote

motofly196 wrote:
There used to be someone here that sold 54 55 ones for 10 bucks a few years back. I should bought a few. Those are THIN! I still need some....

The ones on my air cleaner are still nice, but the air cleaner itself needs to be repainted.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: My new April of 1955 oval Reply with quote

motofly196 wrote:

I searched my email as I bought one and it was this guy
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=16734

Maybe ask him if he can make more...

Example, someone posted one here:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4245191#4245191

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: My new April of 1955 oval Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
motofly196 wrote:

I searched my email as I bought one and it was this guy
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=16734

Maybe ask him if he can make more...

Example, someone posted one here:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4245191#4245191

I have the other style of air cleaner with the dual/quad languages decals on the top.

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: My new April of 1955 oval Reply with quote

Oops! Sorry for the confusion.

He was making a round top style too but I don't know if it was that one.

Might be worth asking...
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Yustrn
JHC Controla

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: My new April of 1955 oval Reply with quote

Is that air cleaner date stamped 4/55? Just trying to see when they cut over to that style.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: My new April of 1955 oval Reply with quote

Yustrn wrote:
Is that air cleaner date stamped 4/55? Just trying to see when they cut over to that style.

No, my air cleaner and all of the other engine parts are dated 2/55. I thought I took a picture of the date stamp, but I can’t find it, but it’s for sure 2/55.
Yustrn
JHC Controla

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: My new April of 1955 oval Reply with quote

jays58s wrote:
Yustrn wrote:

No, my air cleaner and all of the other engine parts are dated 2/55. I thought I took a picture of the date stamp, but I can’t find it, but it’s for sure 2/55.

please post a pic of the date stamp, never seen that style that early in 55...sweet!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: