Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My new April of 1955 oval
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: My new April of 1955 oval Reply with quote

Yustrn wrote:
jays58s wrote:
Yustrn wrote:
Is that air cleaner date stamped 4/55? Just trying to see when they cut over to that style.

No, my air cleaner and all of the other engine parts are dated 2/55. I thought I took a picture of the date stamp, but I can’t find it, but it’s for sure 2/55.

please post a pic of the date stamp, never seen that style that early in 55...sweet!

Here’s the date stamp on the base, and the second picture is the date stamp on the bottom of the air cleaner top.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: My new April of 1955 oval Reply with quote

That's the seller that I was thinking of Everett, just don't know how to link something on my phone to a post. Thank you for doing that.

I also have an early 55' Mann filter and a 55' strap filter. I have seen both style filters on original engines....I think it was luck of the draw on which one you got on your engine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: My new April of 1955 oval Reply with quote

motofly196 wrote:
That's the seller that I was thinking of Everett, just don't know how to link something on my phone to a post. Thank you for doing that.

I also have an early 55' Mann filter and a 55' strap filter. I have seen both style filters on original engines....I think it was luck of the draw on which one you got on your engine.

Yes, I think they were using both providers for a while too.
Not sure when the strap air cleaners actually ended for certain.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: My new April of 1955 oval Reply with quote

My ocd is finally at rest with the ignition switch wiring.

motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: My new April of 1955 oval Reply with quote

I think my OCD is worse than yours....don't forget to dip the ends in solder.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: My new April of 1955 oval Reply with quote

motofly196 wrote:
I think my OCD is worse than yours....don't forget to dip the ends in solder.

I wasn’t worried about that because I’m going to replace the harness soon. That’ll be taken care of when I replace the harness.

Last edited by jays58s on Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
lovethatconvertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: My new April of 1955 oval Reply with quote

jays58s wrote:

WOW, I saw the first picture after reading the OCD line and thought your flippin' kidding me. Shocked Then I scrolled down to see the second pic with a sigh of relief.

Keep em coming.
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: My new April of 1955 oval Reply with quote

lovethatconvertible wrote:
jays58s wrote:

WOW, I saw the first picture after reading the OCD line and thought your flippin' kidding me. Shocked Then I scrolled down to see the second pic with a sigh of relief.

Keep em coming.

Lol, it’s been bugging me to leave it like that, but I couldn’t fix it until I got the oval ignition switch.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: My new April of 1955 oval Reply with quote

Keep em coming.

LOL, me too. I was like WTF that looks like shit, why don't you crimp some more wires on there. Shocked
Breathed a sign of relief 2 seconds later

Looks good now!
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: My new April of 1955 oval Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:

Keep em coming.

LOL, me too. I was like WTF that looks like shit, why don't you crimp some more wires on there. Shocked
Breathed a sign of relief 2 seconds later

Looks good now!

Lol, thanks, Everett!
Yustrn
JHC Controla

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: My new April of 1955 oval Reply with quote

My OCD is screaming turn all the screws the same direction and replace that one that got ran over by a truck. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: My new April of 1955 oval Reply with quote

Yustrn wrote:
My OCD is screaming turn all the screws the same direction and replace that one that got ran over by a truck. Very Happy

That all bugged me too, for a second. I’m going to replace that switch with the earlier style oval switch so it’s correct, so I’ll do it then lol.
Russ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: My new April of 1955 oval Reply with quote

wow clean car
super nice!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: My new April of 1955 oval Reply with quote

Russ wrote:
wow clean car
super nice!!!

Thank you!
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: My new April of 1955 oval Reply with quote

I just received a bunch of original paperwork from the third owner of my car, and I've learned quite a bit about it! The first owner for sure bought it new at Pardee & Mozart in Palo Alto, CA, and it was always maintained there. The original owner was named Rear Admiral John Ball, born 1893, and passed away in 1985. He was actually the mayor of Palo Alto, CA in 1960-61, as well as 1969. He was also a councilman 1959-61, and member planning commission 1954-59. I was pretty stoked to find all of this out! There's tons of receipts too, and it clarified a lot of questions I had about things that had been switched out. There's even a sales receipt from when the second owner purchased the car used from the same dealer it was sold new at. The second owner told me the first owner traded it in on a squareback. It was bought in 1973 with 39,000 miles for $711.75! I attached a picture I found on eBay of the original owner. The guy on eBay bought some pictures and even a uniform from the original owners estate. He's also supposed to look through his other pictures to see if he has any with the bug in it.

sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: My new April of 1955 oval Reply with quote

Sad Embarassed Mad
Mark Evans Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: My new April of 1955 oval Reply with quote

I like the $3 DMV fee!
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: My new April of 1955 oval Reply with quote

sled wrote:
Sad Embarassed Mad

I don’t want to hear it, Jake. Laughing
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: My new April of 1955 oval Reply with quote

the info on the shifter on page 1 is incorrect, it's not really a 356 shifter hack. It was an accessory shifter readily available

First time I saw one, I thought so too, except for that vw stamped coupler

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: