Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Samba daily online users declining
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Site Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba daily online users declining Reply with quote

Facebook is too untrustworthy for me. Twice they have opened/sold their user info, and only after getting busted admitted it. Closed the barn after the cows were gone. I have an account so I can see what others post, but I'll never give a scrap of info from me or about me on that site. Fool me once...

Besides, there is a far richer experience here, and it's far more than just forums, and it is far better organized.
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba daily online users declining Reply with quote

FWIW.
I am 27 years old. I have been actively using Facebook since 2006. I am a member of about 12 different FB VW groups. I cannot stand the clubs on social media, it isn’t a resource. They are what social media is, a media, to reach out and promote attention to one’s own efforts and items. All I ever come across when I pan through these “forums” is nonsense, Front End Friday, Side Shot Saturday, Look At My Collection...
Okay we get it, you dig Volkswagens, so do I! Hey, we have something in common, that’s awesome. We can I come to said forum and ask a question and get a factual, clear idea or diagnosis? It’s always clowns cracking jokes.

And then theres the Samba.
The sweet oasis of air-cooled mystery and awe.
It is extremely dense in knowledge, sure folks get crabby, but hey, you’re all old! (excluding 67ctbug)
Really, I’m only kind of kidding, because I really APPRECIATE the fact the age is higher here on the forum, it gives our Samba merit, it isn’t opinionated nonsense, it’s tried and true fella who’ve turned their own wrenches, lived and learned, and most times share a story along with the information needed or sought after.

I love the Samba. It’s a large part of my life, and has taught me many things beyond VW’s. It takes more effort to type and crack up with folks here compared to FB, but I also think the reward is greater from said efforts.

And here I’ve been lacking with my own involvement the past two months...I’ve been busy with work, promise I haven’t been cheating with Facebook Laughing
Happy New Year Samba (young and old)

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba daily online users declining Reply with quote

vwinnovator wrote:
Been noticing that the daily online user number has been on the decline for a little while now..

Is it a sign that the vw community is on the decline as well..?

is our beloved hobby slowly heading to an end?

Yes it’s probably dying off because nobody gives a shit anymore, better start selling off your stuff before the bottom drops out.
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Samba daily online users declining Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
vwinnovator wrote:
Been noticing that the daily online user number has been on the decline for a little while now..

Is it a sign that the vw community is on the decline as well..?

is our beloved hobby slowly heading to an end?

Yes it’s probably dying off because nobody gives a shit anymore, better start selling off your stuff before the bottom drops out.

Yea...
I'll get right on that.
Hate to get stuck with a bunch ovals and split bus stuff. Rolling Eyes
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Samba daily online users declining Reply with quote

I simply take breaks .. .. sometimes.. its good to get away from things for a while.. and.. I do have a REAL life to tend to..

I'll toss this in..to the switch to social sites for some. For most if not all social outlets.. its free, easy and anyone can start a social "group or page"... hence .. perfect for the lazy free loaders.
In addition .. the ones who start a group.. can pick and choose who are in the kool club or not..

IMO too much bad knee jerk advice on some social non forum sites.. It's a lot of "look at me".. short attention span theater.
It you want good more reliable information.. come to a forum.. lurk for a while and you will see who knows their shit quick...

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited

Last edited by VOLKSWAGNUT on Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:38 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Samba daily online users declining Reply with quote

kawfee wrote:
I figured it was the winter. Everyone is hibernating.

The cold weather brings me inside to the computer more.

Participation from us Samba old-timers is key. New or renewed threads help. And posting up good pix in threads can help us draw the FB-gen back into the forums. imho

Here is a winter-time thread I started a few years ago, that I just revived, as an example.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=578941

www.stanagon.com

My '61 Mango bus thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=110367
My '64 vert thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=386344
My '71 squareback thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=637709
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
theastronaut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Samba daily online users declining Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
I think the declining numbers also has to do with the fact that as the cars get older & gain value as antiques, they are being priced out not only enthusiast's hands but also those that would enter the hobby. The only reason most of us started tinkering with VWs was that they were inexpensive to buy AND to work on, and we bought them for basic transportation. Now, it's rare to find a complete car for less than $1,500-$2,000, much less one that doesn't require lots of rust & mechanical repair. Who, in their right mind, is going to spend $5,000 for an entry level hobbyist vehicle for a daily driver when they can buy 2006 BMW for the same money? As the cars get priced out of the market for people, so does the interest in them.

The Ford Festiva forum I'm on is also slowing down since most traffic is on Facebook now... those are $2,000 cars at most so it's not the cost of the car, it's just the trend of moving from forums to Facebook.

And, VW's are still cheaper than most older collector cars. 55-57 Chevy's, two door Impalas, Novas, Camaros, Mustangs, 32 Fords, etc... All of those have been popular forever and have always been a lot more expensive than VW's. You can't buy any of those for less than 10K and not be ashamed to take it to a car show... but you can still get a very presentable early VW for under 10K.

'64 Beetle Sunroof OG Bahama Blue
'63 Beetle Vert
'66 Beetle
'88 Festiva L
'89 Festiva L
'64 Chevy C10
'66 Chevy C10
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Samba daily online users declining Reply with quote

I'm not a fan of the FB pages on VW's. It's breathtaking how clueless many are in those groups. I much prefer the layout and organization of a forum vs. FB as well.

I always thought winter was more active for The Samba due to the cold weather states VW owners not being able to work or drive their VW's. They hibernate inside on their computers to get their VW "fix".

I think Everett and the mods have done better with shutting down the perpetual a-holes that use to run off so many people from this site. I know some were banned. I will say that there are some especially annoying recent participants who add zero value to threads they HAVE TO POST in to ad to their post count. Rolling Eyes

Other than that, this is the go-to classic vw site for me.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Samba daily online users declining Reply with quote

theastronaut wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:
I think the declining numbers also has to do with the fact that as the cars get older & gain value as antiques, they are being priced out not only enthusiast's hands but also those that would enter the hobby. The only reason most of us started tinkering with VWs was that they were inexpensive to buy AND to work on, and we bought them for basic transportation. Now, it's rare to find a complete car for less than $1,500-$2,000, much less one that doesn't require lots of rust & mechanical repair. Who, in their right mind, is going to spend $5,000 for an entry level hobbyist vehicle for a daily driver when they can buy 2006 BMW for the same money? As the cars get priced out of the market for people, so does the interest in them.

The Ford Festiva forum I'm on is also slowing down since most traffic is on Facebook now... those are $2,000 cars at most so it's not the cost of the car, it's just the trend of moving from forums to Facebook.

And, VW's are still cheaper than most older collector cars. 55-57 Chevy's, two door Impalas, Novas, Camaros, Mustangs, 32 Fords, etc... All of those have been popular forever and have always been a lot more expensive than VW's. You can't buy any of those for less than 10K and not be ashamed to take it to a car show... but you can still get a very presentable early VW for under 10K.

How many 18 years olds, do you see buying 10k, air-cooled VW's ? The ones I see are buying Honda's, GTI's,WRX, etc.

02/76 Beetle sedan

Last edited by APPLEGREENVW on Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba daily online users declining Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
I agree. The participation on forums may be declining, but the popularity of VW's is not diminishing, it's just all the yuppies are more interested in facebook. The Samba will never die as long as the classified stay active.

Now that I am a member of a few local Facebook VW groups I no longer look at any of the other VW forum pages. No point is reading the same post in 3-4 places.

I am a member of a facebook group specifically for VW racing and the administrators of the group are very serious about only talking about racing. They are very quick to delete some guy asking about his 34 PIC carb or his Rusty RatRod.

"As long as the classifieds stay active" is a great point. I personally know several people who have stopped looking at this site because it seems to be monopolized by a few dealers who have page after page after page of ads. The ads never appear in the vendor sections as they should....at least that is my opinion. If you sell parts for a living....you are a vendor. If you sell a couple of hard to find parts every now and then , you are NOT a vendor.
Don't shoot the messenger here. A strong vibrant well run classified section keeps this thing alive....no matter what else happens. When people stop shopping here....there will be no more opinions.....aged or not.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba daily online users declining Reply with quote

wheel607 wrote:
vwracerdave wrote:
I agree. The participation on forums may be declining, but the popularity of VW's is not diminishing, it's just all the yuppies are more interested in facebook. The Samba will never die as long as the classified stay active.

Now that I am a member of a few local Facebook VW groups I no longer look at any of the other VW forum pages. No point is reading the same post in 3-4 places.

I am a member of a facebook group specifically for VW racing and the administrators of the group are very serious about only talking about racing. They are very quick to delete some guy asking about his 34 PIC carb or his Rusty RatRod.

"As long as the classifieds stay active" is a great point. I personally know several people who have stopped looking at this site because it seems to be monopolized by a few dealers who have page after page after page of ads. The ads never appear in the vendor sections as they should....at least that is my opinion. If you sell parts for a living....you are a vendor. If you sell a couple of hard to find parts every now and then , you are NOT a vendor.
Don't shoot the messenger here. A strong vibrant well run classified section keeps this thing alive....no matter what else happens. When people stop shopping here....there will be no more opinions.....aged or not.

This seems to be an issue on other forums as well where used parts are sold. Most people think of “dealers” as only posting new parts. Almost seems like there should be a separate category for people uploading hundreds of parts. While I mainly use the “search” feature as I’m looking for usually something specific I can see it bothering some if they are wanting to browse the for sale ads. I also feel that multiple ads for the same item by the same person should be monitored. I’ve also noticed some people skirting this one by having what appears to be a relative listing the same car/part under their user name.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba daily online users declining Reply with quote

Thanks for the discussion on possible reasons for less users seen recently.

There has been a general decline due to people using Facebook and Facebook groups. The reasons and some feedback about that were mentioned above by several users and I agreed with everything I read.
One thing not mentioned, which really has nothing to do with this site other than it is another item that makes the Forum format superior for technical questions is:
I have noticed on Facebook several people will set up the same sort of group and often add the same people to the group or exclude people they don't like. This is annoying and often causes duplication of posts and photos.
Imagine if we had 3 different Beetle Forums and you had to post or look in all 3 to try to find something or get an answer to a question.

There are more people on the site during certain times of the year.
As someone mentioned - Often it declines in winter as people are not working on their cars and have less things to post.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Last edited by EverettB on Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba daily online users declining Reply with quote

wheel607 wrote:
I personally know several people who have stopped looking at this site because it seems to be monopolized by a few dealers who have page after page after page of ads. The ads never appear in the vendor sections as they should....at least that is my opinion. If you sell parts for a living....you are a vendor. If you sell a couple of hard to find parts every now and then , you are NOT a vendor.

I can understand this feeling but we consider vendors to be people selling new parts. It would be annoying to search the Beetle parts section for example for a good used part and not find it because it's in a different section.

Where should the line be drawn? I've had people complain about people selling as little as 50 parts on here. Sorry but that's not a lot of ads. For instance, I think right now is the first time I've had under 50 ads here in the history of the site. I usually have at least 100, usually closer to 200.

There are a couple very high volume parts sellers though so:
If you don't like a particular seller, you can block them from your view of the classifieds listings
Sticky about the "Classifieds Ignore List" in this section:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=298960

I have a search I can run that tells me how many people have over 500 ads.
This number came up as a possible breakpoint for several reasons in the past.
Right now this count is 34 sellers.
A couple have barely over 500.
One Porsche seller has 5000+ but I know for fact he is blocked by a ton of people as I've had emails from visitors about this seller and how to block him.
I did a quick scan of the list and I would say 4 of them are commercial/business sellers with mostly new parts ads and their new parts ads are in the Vendor sections.
So basically 30 sellers.

Duplicate ads:
If you see a duplicate ad, please hit "Report" in the ad or preferably both ads so I can clean them up and contact the seller(s).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba daily online users declining Reply with quote

I use Face Book at home, but never at work.
I admit I spend way too much time at home cruising FB
I never discuss work on FB.
I've see FB up on all or nearly all of my employees computer screens.
I had a young engineer request to go home, because he saw a posting for a party his relatives where having.
We were in the middle of testing so I told him hell no.
What I'm getting at is FB, Twitter etc. are social media,
What we do on TheSamba I feel has more value than that, in that it is a technical forum.
I really liked the phase "The sweet oasis of air-cooled mystery and awe."
And fully agree that TheSamba is "extremely dense in knowledge".
But from a professional standpoint TheSamba has improved my technical writing and research skills,
Which were for the most part dormant from the time I graduated college until I started posting on TheSamba.
A lot of people really don’t know how to do an effective search, or how to use search functions, and it really is too bad for them.
I’m hoping that traditional publishing, and the rules of good technical publishing do not go the way of the Dodo,
Because if you can collaborate what someone has posted on line, like bolt torques, to written documentation like the Bentley Manuals,
than you know that it’s good technical information.
Which Face Book, Twitter, and President Trump rarely provide.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FullFender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba daily online users declining Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Thanks for the discussion on possible reasons for less users seen recently.

There has been a general decline due to people using Facebook and Facebook groups.

I'm glad I can open TS and not have my inbox flooded with chain messages from 10 different family members Rolling Eyes Laughing
You just can't find the in-depth mechanical/performance threads in Facebook as you can find on TheSamba. I can see this site lasting for quite some time.

Last edited by FullFender on Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:02 am; edited 1 time in total
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba daily online users declining Reply with quote

When you search for technical information TheSamba is one of the top, if not the top, sites that comes up in google. You can find it all here. Folks may be on other sites but I always see them refer back to TheSamba. You may see a user count but I suspect that doesn't account for a fraction of the traffic TheSamba gets. Think about all the sites you visit without joining or logging in. This is the type of traffic I am referring to. TheSamba is a valuable source of information.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Samba daily online users declining Reply with quote

kawfee wrote:
When you search for technical information TheSamba is one of the top, if not the top, sites that comes up in google. You can find it all here. Folks may be on other sites but I always see them refer back to TheSamba. You may see a user count but I suspect that doesn't account for a fraction of the traffic TheSamba gets. Think about all the sites you visit without joining or logging in. This is the type of traffic I am referring to. TheSamba is a valuable source of information.

Yep The Samba is the one-stop shop for the serious hobbyist. FB is an awful platform for serious content and problem solving. Getting a serious answer to a technical problem is a total crap-shoot on FB where any Joe with 5 minutes experience can muddy the water...it happens so often.

I think there will always be the need for an easy to read/search forum. The footfall might ebb and flow but the reliable expertise will always bring them back.
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:57 am    Post subject: Re: Samba daily online users declining Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
wheel607 wrote:
I personally know several people who have stopped looking at this site because it seems to be monopolized by a few dealers who have page after page after page of ads.

I can understand this feeling but we consider vendors to be people selling new parts. It would be annoying to search the Beetle parts section for example for a good used part and not find it because it's in a different section.

I have a search I can run that tells me how many people have over 500 ads.
This number came up as a possible breakpoint for several reasons in the past.
Right now this count is 34 sellers.
A couple have barely over 500.
One Porsche seller has 5000+ but I know for fact he is blocked by a ton of people as I've had emails from visitors about this seller and how to block him.
I did a quick scan of the list and I would say 4 of them are commercial/business sellers with mostly new parts ads and their new parts ads are in the Vendor sections.
So basically 30 sellers.

I know of a few "vendors" who sell mainly new reproduction parts in the normal classifieds. Why is this allowed?

If there's so few members with over 500 ads, why not put a limit on the total number of ads? 1000, 1500, 2000? That would fix that Porsche seller.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Samba daily online users declining Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
I know of a few "vendors" who sell mainly new reproduction parts in the normal classifieds. Why is this allowed?

Hit report when you see these and I will check them out.

We allow people who are the sole vendor for a brand new limited or specific part to use the normal classifieds, in a lot of cases.

Note: Occasionally there are individual people selling new parts in the normal sections - this is ok. For instance if I bought something myself from WolfsburgWest and didn't need it, it would be ok for me to sell it in the normal sections because I only have one extra and I'm not that company or one of their resellers or a company where I have an "unlimited" supply.

Bruce wrote:
If there's so few members with over 500 ads, why not put a limit on the total number of ads? 1000, 1500, 2000? That would fix that Porsche seller.

I don't see a point to limiting it when you can block them and some people have the same feeling about people with even less ads.
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Samba daily online users declining Reply with quote

Well, it could be due to tons of reasons for usage declining.

I'm a young buck (late 20s) who's got the 'bug fever'. I quite enjoy the Samba, even if I'm not here everyday.

There are still those of us in the younger generations who have a passion for classic cars (ACVWs and otherwise).

We are here, we are ready to learn.

Please keep teaching us, we want to know whatever knowledge you have to offer.
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Site All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: