Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dumb oil question
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MotoMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:55 pm    Post subject: Dumb oil question Reply with quote

Did a search and failed. What weight oil should I run in my 25 hp?
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Dumb oil question Reply with quote

Back in the day of those cars we only had straight weight oils so then it probably would be 20 weight and maybe 30 weight in the summer. We always liked the Pennsylvania oil then for the VW air cooled.
Now days everyone is running Brad Penn or valvoline. I would probably break it in with a cheap 5W30 dyno oil then switch to a quality synthetic for the engine. I would add some ZDDP to the oil if it did not have 1200 PPM zinc already.
Porsche 356 Oils.
MotoMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Dumb oil question Reply with quote

This is a new resto and new engine. The oil light would flash or stay on for a bit but go out. I picked it up as a running car. I just now pulled the plate without removing the drain plug and almost no oil drains through the screen, it's a trickle at best. There are maybe 50 miles on car so far. Seems to me it should run through the screen easier than that
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Dumb oil question Reply with quote

I would think so if it was hot. Yeah, must have been 30 weight! I would take a look at the screen. Any debris in it? I hope it had oil in it.
MotoMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Dumb oil question Reply with quote

Had oil, pulled the drain plug and 3 qts came out. To be honest I didn't pull the screen. Don't have a new one and didn't want to destroy the only one I have. Just wanted to get the break in oil out of it. I will get all the correct screen and oil and quit trying to half ass it
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Dumb oil question Reply with quote

With a new engine, pulling the screen is a must. Depending on what the builder used for cam lube plus assembly lube, and packing the oil pump with assembly lube....this could all lead to a thick oil. I would pull that screen and inspect is very well for any metal particles from machine work being done. If the case halves were put together with too much bonding material, that could also be in the screen.
The first few oil changes are critical for a happy new engine. Did you get any information on who built the engine? Probably wouldn't hurt to try and see what they recommend for their engines too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Snort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Dumb oil question Reply with quote

The official answer is to read through this gigantic oil topic.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=220755

Then put in 10-30 and don't worry, be happy.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Dumb oil question Reply with quote

LOL - Yeah oil....Heres the thing on your engine - you said it was a fresh rebuild. Did they replace the oil cooler?

Here's my 2 cents. On cars that come into the shop, I use the same or similar oil to what they have always been running. IF I am doing a bit of a rebuild (not splitting the case, but installing a new oil cooler) I will run conventional 10W-30 with a zinc additive and motor flush. After the flush has been run for the required time, drain and replace with Amsoil Z-rod 10W-30 (high zinc, etc).

The oil cooler is a concern since its a nice place for stuff to collect and I wont switch a car over to synthetic unless I replace that. This is my opinion based one what I feel is good logic.

Any forum (VW and non-VW) you look at will have 1000 opinions on motor oil....just sayin'
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MotoMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Dumb oil question Reply with quote

I hear you on the 1000 opinions on oils. This is my first experience with a 25 hp, or oval car. I probably have no business owning something this nice. Full confession, I decided to change the oil and I was going to pull the screen and inspect and clean it. I pulled the plate 1st because I didn't know it had a separate drain plug. Like I said, full rookie.

I have gotten into the habit of draining the oil cold as well. Maybe it's a stupid idea, but my theory is all the contaminants and junk in the oil have settled to the bottom of the sump. You start the motor to warm up the oil and now you have run all that stuff back through the engine.

So when I saw it wouldn't drain through the screen, figured out the drain plug deal and drained the engine. Then I briefly tried to remove the screen and promptly stopped when it looked like it wasn't coming off easy, I didn't want to damage it.

I also hear you on the oil cooler, I always put a new one on anything I do. I do not know if this one was new but I will inquire.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Dumb oil question Reply with quote

Snort wrote:
The official answer is to read through this gigantic oil topic.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=220755

Then put in 10-30 and don't worry, be happy.

Let's keep it in one place.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Dumb oil question Reply with quote

It sounds like you are set on information and are pulling the screen too and cleaning it so you should be good to go.

Yes, let's keep the oil discussion to the dedicated thread above.

If you have any other engine or vehicle questions that are not what type of oil feel free to start another thread.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: