Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How’s this part called and where to get a replacement?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
xcortes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject: How’s this part called and where to get a replacement? Reply with quote

Hello, I want to replace this black plastic part (film?) but don’t know how it’s called, how to search for it or where to source it. I’m assuming is just some plastic film but I’m sure there’s a better answer. Any help will be appreciated.

Xavier

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: How’s this part called and where to get a replacement? Reply with quote

Search the classifieds under "panel". There are a couple of different vendors who supply such.
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: How’s this part called and where to get a replacement? Reply with quote

I think he's pointing to the vinyl that is not part of the panel, per se.

This should be just black vinyl. Perhaps Sewfine or TMI would be willing to sell you some of the vinyl by itself, and you could fashion it into a piece to cover the metal there. If not, you might find something at a local upholstery shop or fabric store.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: How’s this part called and where to get a replacement? Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:

This should be just black vinyl. Perhaps Sewfine or TMI would be willing to sell you some of the vinyl by itself, and you could fashion it into a piece to cover the metal there. If not, you might find something at a local upholstery shop or fabric store.

Any place that does boat or automotive upholstery should have vinyl.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: How’s this part called and where to get a replacement? Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:

I think you are correct.
I am not saying this is exact for the bus.....but jn many beetles, 411 and 412.....the A, B and C pillar sheathing was essentially the same as the headliner material without the perforations.

I would take a scrap to q headliner shop and see what they have. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: How’s this part called and where to get a replacement? Reply with quote

I have original buses that have the headliner material in that location as well.

So, to the OP: IF you are restoring to original, you probably want headliner material there and around the lower parts of the window frames, too. But if you want black vinyl, go for it.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xcortes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: How’s this part called and where to get a replacement? Reply with quote

Thanks so much!
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: How’s this part called and where to get a replacement? Reply with quote

Be careful with black vinyl.
If you live in a hot place....that vinyl with easily get to be 30° or more hotter than white vinyl.

What that causes is fast and exceasive shrinkage. In applications shere I have seen black vinyl like that....mostly custom upholstered and Anerican cars from the 1970s.....in uot climates.....in just a couple of years....the vinyl either pulled loose as it shrank....or it cracked if it cannot pull loose.

Vinyl starts shrinking the day its born. The more heat....the faster it shrinks.

If you want to stay with black vinyl.....you need to pre-shrink it. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: