Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type 4 Engine Tinware Hole for Ignition Cable Clip?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
restocal63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:21 pm    Post subject: Type 4 Engine Tinware Hole for Ignition Cable Clip? Reply with quote

Whilst cleaning the engine tinware etc. and taking note of what it required to make the area above the tinware 100% sealed I noticed this hole (red arrow) next to the crankcase breather.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

What exactly is installed there? An ignition cable clip? Or some kind of other plug?

Thanks in advance for your kind help.
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:17 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Engine Tinware Hole for Ignition Cable Clip? Reply with quote

I believe it's the ignition cable retaining clip indeed what you need there. I recall having one around that area.

If so, you'll need to get 113 905 451 A or 211 201 249 A. If I remember correctly, it's a 2-way one as on the picture:

Decode your M-Plate
aerosurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:31 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Engine Tinware Hole for Ignition Cable Clip? Reply with quote

restocal63 wrote:
Whilst cleaning the engine tinware etc. and taking note of what it required to make the area above the tinware 100% sealed I noticed this hole (red arrow) next to the crankcase breather.

What exactly is installed there? An ignition cable clip? Or some kind of other plug?

Thanks in advance for your kind help.

That hole is for the dipstick on the 914/412 motors.

The spark plug clips onto a little bracket that attaches to the far side of the breather tower, great pics in this thread

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=410442&highlight=spark+plug+clip

There is another hole in the middle of the big tin to the right and down from the tail of the arrow, that was also a sparkplug wire clip holder

77 Westy 2.0L Rockin and Rolling Resto!

72 Sportsmobile (sold)
79 Tran$porter... Parts car money machine (gone)
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:05 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Engine Tinware Hole for Ignition Cable Clip? Reply with quote

Ah, thanks aerosurfer for the correction and the link to the pics. I guess I no longer need to double-check it on my bus later on Smile

Decode your M-Plate
restocal63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Engine Tinware Hole for Ignition Cable Clip? Reply with quote

Furgo, so what exactly is installed there, I've seen the link of aerosurfer and his clarification, but I have that ignition cable bracket and clips need others in the tinware, do you have a photo of your engine for that area?

Thanks in advance
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Engine Tinware Hole for Ignition Cable Clip? Reply with quote

restocal63 wrote:
Furgo, so what exactly is installed there, I've seen the link of aerosurfer and his clarification, but I have that ignition cable bracket and clips need others in the tinware, do you have a photo of your engine for that area?

Thanks in advance

I have looked through my albums, but unfortunately I don't have a picture of that area that is uncluttered enough to see anything at all.

However, you have to think that I've got a different engine (GE), whereas you seem to have a 411/412/Porsche 914 one –what's your engine code?

Is that hole not, as aerosurfer said, for the oil dipstick? I assume you don't have it there now, but was that perhaps because the fan case was modified to accept a front dipstick as per the bus engines?

I'm going on (non-bus, shame on me) holiday tomorrow and probably won't have the time. Otherwise I'd go and take some pics for you. If it's not urgent though, I can do it when I'm back.

Decode your M-Plate
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Engine Tinware Hole for Ignition Cable Clip? Reply with quote

411/412 share the same tin, that hole is present on all buses even if they came with a dipstick in the shroud, I have never seen any sort of plug or closure for it.
The plug wire clip was a double wire one on the breather tower where you have the zip tie and a single one on the 1/2 tin where your #1 cable is laying (often milky white in color), there was another double on the 3/4 tin for those wires as well.

I see you are missing the boot onthe oil pressure sender, although the sender installed doesn't look like a VW one so it may be difficult to get the boot to stay in there.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
restocal63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Engine Tinware Hole for Ignition Cable Clip? Reply with quote

Many thanks for your post busdaddy.

So the missing oil pressure boot has part number 021115957?

Is this part number correct for the oil pressure switch 021919081B?

By any chance do you have the part number for the single ignition cable holder (milky white colour) mine where broken as most probably turned brittle after all those years exposed in the heat.

Thanks in advance to all for help and time.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Engine Tinware Hole for Ignition Cable Clip? Reply with quote

Ready for your eyes to bleed.
thnx jersey
http://www.jerseylooker.com/FicheDump/LateBaywindow/LateBay-Main.html
http://www.jerseylooker.com/FicheDump/LateBaywindow/094-10-9-011.jpg

Note the ring to hold the boot on
https://www.busdepot.com/021919081b
https://www.airheadparts.com/Switch-Oil-Pressure/item/021-919-081%20B
restocal63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Engine Tinware Hole for Ignition Cable Clip? Reply with quote

Many thanks Tcash for your kind help.
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:54 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Engine Tinware Hole for Ignition Cable Clip? Reply with quote

As I was reinstalling my refreshed ignition wires the other day, I came across one of those clips lying broken on top of the engine tin.

While looking for a replacement, I also found this old picture of my engine that shows the two types of clips used. I then remembered this thread and I thought I'd briefly update it for the benefit of others looking for them.

In summary, there were two different types of ignition wire clips:

#1 - 211 201 249 A -> one way clip, NLA, not shown in the ignition microfiche, but appears on the FI fuel pump microfiche. Two of them, one fitted on the 1/2 tin and the other on the 3/4 tin. You can see the holes in the OP's initial picture and on mine below.
#2 - 113 905 449 A -> two-way clip for the 1/2 wires, seems to be still available, shown on the ignition microfiche. Fitted on the case in front of the oil breather box. Shown on my picture. On the initial post's picture, it would be around the area where the tie wrap is.

Decode your M-Plate
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: