Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

ConcreteAce's '51 build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: ConcreteAce's '51 build Reply with quote

Some of the ride quality is going to be the tires, tell Courtney thats what bias ply's are like - she may want to buy you some of these

https://www.cokertire.com/tires/styles/bias-look-r...dials.html

I think more miles on everything will help as well
ConcreteAce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: ConcreteAce's '51 build Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
Some of the ride quality is going to be the tires, tell Courtney thats what bias ply's are like - she may want to buy you some of these

They don't make those in a 16 Sad

'51 Deluxe
'61 Build
'68 Turbo Diesel Baja
'64 Ghia Vert
'61 Baja Build
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: ConcreteAce's '51 build Reply with quote

ConcreteAce wrote:
Erik G wrote:

Brick wall DOH - I know better than that Laughing

my bad! my lady friends always complained as well - Sports Bra. Not great far a car with no AC Shocked
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: ConcreteAce's '51 build Reply with quote

After running for a while, then stopping and restarting. Try just turning the key, no pedal.

My 54 with Okrasa heads/dual 36IDFs hated when I pressed the gas during warm start ups...just turn the key and it would start right up

For cold starts I would pump the pedal once and start.

Congrats on the trip!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
geneL3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: ConcreteAce's '51 build Reply with quote

Ethan, Having previously had a '50 Deluxe and now a '50 Standard, I can assure you that the less than comfortable ride, handling and brakes of the Splits is the price you have to pay for all the attention you ( deservedly ) get. I sold my first '50 BECAUSE of the horrible ride, but could not resist the more recent acquisition of the '50 Standard knowing this time what I was likely to experience. There was a reason VW went from the ( really ) short front shocks and lever action rears to the longer telescope shocks that came later. If I remember correctly, I would usually take something to settle my stomach if the trip was over a half hour or so ! I'm sure riding in the rear could be nothing short of torturous. Congratulations on a spectacular resurrection of flood victim. Gene
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: ConcreteAce's '51 build Reply with quote

A little late, but congrats on completion of the split, and a very bold inaugural run. Car looks AWESOME. So glad to have played a small part/contribution, it is the most rewarding thing for me. And oh yeah, there are farm tractors that ride better then splits. The suspension is very stiff... but as Gene said, that is part of the split experience. That and shifting a crash case, and if you are so lucky, driving a cable brake car!!!!

Enjoy it, you earned it. And thanks for sharing the journey....

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
geneL3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: ConcreteAce's '51 build Reply with quote

BTW, our farm tractor in Texas ( primary residence, Long Island, NY ) has ride, handling and brakes that I can only dream about for the Split. Lucky for you the Deluxe has the so much superior ( ? ) hydraulic brakes ! The Standard cable brakes take a different driving technique, wait and hope ! Enjoy your ride, you've certainly earned it. Gene
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: ConcreteAce's '51 build Reply with quote

ConcreteAce wrote:
Erik G wrote:

Coker makes a 5.50/16 blackwall
Brand: Coker Classic
SKU: 64308
GTIN UPC: 00842199100129
DOT Approved: Yes
Product Size: 550R16
Rim Diameter: 16
UTQG rating: 400 BB
Tread Width: 4.53
Section Width (Actual): 5.25
Overall Diameter: 26.88
Load Index: 91
Speed Rating: P
Max Load Capacity: 1355@41PSI
Recommended Rim Width: 3.25 - 4.00
Tube Type or Tubeless: Tube Type

Michelin still has the good old Michelin X in the same size:

https://classic.michelin.com/en/Classic-Tyre-range/X

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: ConcreteAce's '51 build Reply with quote

mandraks wrote:
ConcreteAce wrote:
Erik G wrote:

Coker makes a 5.50/16 blackwall
Brand: Coker Classic
SKU: 64308
GTIN UPC: 00842199100129
DOT Approved: Yes
Product Size: 550R16
Rim Diameter: 16
UTQG rating: 400 BB
Tread Width: 4.53
Section Width (Actual): 5.25
Overall Diameter: 26.88
Load Index: 91
Speed Rating: P
Max Load Capacity: 1355@41PSI
Recommended Rim Width: 3.25 - 4.00
Tube Type or Tubeless: Tube Type

Michelin still has the good old Michelin X in the same size:

https://classic.michelin.com/en/Classic-Tyre-range/X

we were discussing the new bias look radials. those are not available (yet)
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: ConcreteAce's '51 build Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:

we were discussing the new bias look radials. those are not available (yet)

i do like the look of those as well, just thought that the Michelin X is definitely a "classic tire" and a radial, and skinny.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
ConcreteAce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: ConcreteAce's '51 build Reply with quote

Well today was a great day. I got the Birth Certificate in the mail. That was the looooongest 6 month wait

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'51 Deluxe
'61 Build
'68 Turbo Diesel Baja
'64 Ghia Vert
'61 Baja Build
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
René R.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: ConcreteAce's '51 build Reply with quote

That's great -- matching original engine, and a Hoffman car to boot!
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: ConcreteAce's '51 build Reply with quote

Ethan, hows this car treating you?

can't wait to see the 25hp fully dressed and full crashbox installed!
ConcreteAce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: ConcreteAce's '51 build Reply with quote

sled wrote:
Ethan, hows this car treating you?

can't wait to see the 25hp fully dressed and full crashbox installed!

It has been a joy to drive.It did leave me stranded once, it was faulty plug wires. I had the cool looking cloth braided lines. That was the second set the first set was arcing and I replaced it. I now have the bosch second generation wires on there now. I am taking it on a couple of long trips this next few months. It will be a few years before the big rebuild. I have to recoup from the purchase and what I have done to it so far.

'51 Deluxe
'61 Build
'68 Turbo Diesel Baja
'64 Ghia Vert
'61 Baja Build
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: ConcreteAce's '51 build Reply with quote

ConcreteAce wrote:
It did leave me stranded once, it was faulty plug wires. I had the cool looking cloth braided lines. That was the second set the first set was arcing and I replaced it. I now have the bosch second generation wires on there now.

Have you tried the correct style from Mika Virtanen in Finland? I have a set on my 51 that has about 5500 miles with not a single hiccup. They look correct, unlike all those frilly colored ones Embarassed

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1450828
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: ConcreteAce's '51 build Reply with quote

ConcreteAce wrote:

Well on another note does anyone have a lead on a trunkliner. I emailed Wolfgang Gips and he said that they are no longer available. but he did send me a picture of the one I need, but I can not find any other source.

Any help would be great if you know of a source.

These come in the right type of material and are disassembled. the rivets they send along are wrong, but you can use staple gun staples to assemble as needed

http://www.johnnylawmotors.com/catalog/interior/in...er-mat-kit
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ConcreteAce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: ConcreteAce's '51 build Reply with quote

Well doing some preventative maintenance before I take it on a six hour cruise from Houston to Dallas this coming weekend. So far she is running strong, I did have a an issue with the generator nut backing off. I switched to a big nut pulley and so far so good. I am still throwing a tad bit of oil out of the ISP OT pulley, so far every person I know running those have had the same issue. I did get one of those vintage speed oil filler given to me by a friend. I am on the fence about it, I am not sure it is the look I want , I wish it didnt have the holes drilled in the top piece.

'51 Deluxe
'61 Build
'68 Turbo Diesel Baja
'64 Ghia Vert
'61 Baja Build
Ted2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: ConcreteAce's '51 build Reply with quote

Hi Ethan,
What exhaust are yourunning with this?
ConcreteAce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: ConcreteAce's '51 build Reply with quote

Ted2 wrote:
Hi Ethan,
What exhaust are yourunning with this?

Vintage Speed Abarth style

'51 Deluxe
'61 Build
'68 Turbo Diesel Baja
'64 Ghia Vert
'61 Baja Build
Ted2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: ConcreteAce's '51 build Reply with quote

Do you like it?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: