Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

ConcreteAce's '51 build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: ConcreteAce's '51 build Reply with quote

How did the original 25hp case look on the "floor" once all the jelly gook was cleaned out? Was the surface corroded/pitted at all from any water layer?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Was the cause of the oily right rear brakes pinpointed to the loose rubber boot on the rear (left) half of the wheel cylinder, or was the axle hub seal leaking?
ConcreteAce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: ConcreteAce's '51 build Reply with quote

Surprisingly the case cleaned up rather nicely, unfortunately I did not take any pictures. I will post some the next time I have all those parts out for rebuild of the 25hp as of right now its all cleaned and packed away. It was definitely gear oil in the brakes, there is no mistaking that smell. It probably sprung a leak and there were no oil slingers in the hub so the oil had no place to go but inside the shoe area. I replaced the hubs with oil slingers so it should be good.

'51 Deluxe
'61 Build
'68 Turbo Diesel Baja
'64 Ghia Vert
'61 Baja Build
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ConcreteAce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: ConcreteAce's '51 build Reply with quote

I made a little progress this weekend. Got my new tank painted, as well as the tins. I did not do any body work on the tank and the tins still have battle dings, but at least they are clean and freshly painted. I figured I would save the time that it takes to really make things pretty for when I really get after this car. Right now I just want to drive it, and I am getting close just need a few more things.
enjoy the picture:

I could not decide on the pulley nut. Stock

or after market

aftermarket won until I can find a better looking stock one

'51 Deluxe
'61 Build
'68 Turbo Diesel Baja
'64 Ghia Vert
'61 Baja Build
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: ConcreteAce's '51 build Reply with quote

Tins and tank look great. How did you achieve the low-gloss appearance on the tins- hotrod black, or matte clear coat?

As to the crank pulley nut, can you clean up the one you have by carefully filing the edges to knock off the rounded-over metal, blasting it, and painting it?

Last fall I had a slightly leaking left rear brake assembly on my '77 Beetle, though not as bad as on yours. Originated at the wheel cylinder which I'm replacing with a good German unit. Although the axle seal appeared OK, I'm replacing it as matter of prudence. Took an unexpectedly long time to hammer/punch the seal out of the bearing cover.
ConcreteAce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: ConcreteAce's '51 build Reply with quote

I used the Ditzler Hot Rod Black. I got real lucky my brother in law had a kit sitting on the shelf so it didnt even cost me anything. The tank was ppg BC/CC that was left over from a frame my buddy painted for his C10. so I pretty much only have the price of primer and paper I used to prep.

That pulley nut is pretty pitted but I will admit I did not think about filing it down.

'51 Deluxe
'61 Build
'68 Turbo Diesel Baja
'64 Ghia Vert
'61 Baja Build
ConcreteAce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: ConcreteAce's '51 build Reply with quote

Well today was a good day! My best friend brought me a set of split rims and Excelsior tires he had sitting on the shelf. Saves me from having to buy new tires right now.
Out with the old....

and in with the new..

I know it is not correct but I am really digging the grey in the centers over the tan.

So while we were installing the rims and tires my wife came in the garage with one of those nice little tags the post man leaves when no one answers the door. I look at the return name and see John H. , I was really bummed that I missed the delivery of the harness. The wife said I should go look for the mail man, that he probably was still in the neighborhood. Well I ended up tracking him down and secured the harness.

I did not see any point in wasting time so I got the main harness ran. Unfortunately the little fuse block in the back was so corroded that I couldnt even turn the screws. I took it off and it came out in two pieces. So far I have not found anyone who has one for sale. Which is a bummer.

and the new..

Also pretty much done with the motor. I am still waiting on the generator to get back from being rebuilt

'51 Deluxe
'61 Build
'68 Turbo Diesel Baja
'64 Ghia Vert
'61 Baja Build
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: ConcreteAce's '51 build Reply with quote

I think I have a fuse box that I can part with, let me look. Glad the harness arrived. I had NOT checked signature required, but I think since it was insured they require it. Looks great, fantastic progress!!

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ConcreteAce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: ConcreteAce's '51 build Reply with quote

johnshenry wrote:
I think I have a fuse box that I can part with, let me look. Glad the harness arrived. I had NOT checked signature required, but I think since it was insured they require it. Looks great, fantastic progress!!

Let me know if you have one you want to sell. Amazing harness! I had to do a ton of cleaning so I wouldn't get it dirty.

'51 Deluxe
'61 Build
'68 Turbo Diesel Baja
'64 Ghia Vert
'61 Baja Build
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: ConcreteAce's '51 build Reply with quote

Do you have the cover for yours?

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ConcreteAce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: ConcreteAce's '51 build Reply with quote

No cover it was missing when I got the car.

'51 Deluxe
'61 Build
'68 Turbo Diesel Baja
'64 Ghia Vert
'61 Baja Build
ConcreteAce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: ConcreteAce's '51 build Reply with quote

I'm also missing the cover on the front one by the gas tank, if it came with one.

'51 Deluxe
'61 Build
'68 Turbo Diesel Baja
'64 Ghia Vert
'61 Baja Build
obieoberstar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: ConcreteAce's '51 build Reply with quote

great progress on this split.

what color is it? the outside shots look like a 'plum' color and the shaded garage shots make it look 'black'.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ConcreteAce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: ConcreteAce's '51 build Reply with quote

Its Bordeaux , every picture depending on the light look diffrent

'51 Deluxe
'61 Build
'68 Turbo Diesel Baja
'64 Ghia Vert
'61 Baja Build
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:58 am    Post subject: Re: ConcreteAce's '51 build Reply with quote

Nice build! The new wheels with the red pin stripping remind me on a samba add a few years ago from a black De Luxe concourse resto...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Two Glove Boxes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: ConcreteAce's '51 build Reply with quote

ConcreteAce wrote:
Its Bordeaux , every picture depending on the light look diffrent

Great work the car looks great.
That color is a great classic look and that motor looks 50's tough.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ConcreteAce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: ConcreteAce's '51 build Reply with quote

pastellgreen wrote:
Nice build! The new wheels with the red pin stripping remind me on a samba add a few years ago from a black De Luxe concourse resto...

They probably came off the car you are thinking. I know the old owner has seen this thread as well.

'51 Deluxe
'61 Build
'68 Turbo Diesel Baja
'64 Ghia Vert
'61 Baja Build
ConcreteAce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: ConcreteAce's '51 build Reply with quote

Well after being derailed on the fuse block, I decided to tackle cleaning the interior. I forgot to take a before picture.

I pulled the seats, rubber mats, and folded the carpet back and taped it to the tunnel, then I scrubbed everything down. I got it as clean as I could. The pans are pitted from water sitting under the seats, I wire brushed it that treated it with a rust converter. Even with being pitted they still seem strong I am 250lbs and I have stepped right on the pitted areas and they have held. Luckily there are no pin holes, so I think with the added rust converter I should be good for a very long time. I still have a lot to clean

With the help of the wife I am currently cleaning the seats. Its a slow process for sure! but they are looking a bit better.

the before:

and after:

I did talk to a trim shop about the door panels. They do not think I will be able to put new backing on without ruining the fabric. Has anyone else tried that before?

'51 Deluxe
'61 Build
'68 Turbo Diesel Baja
'64 Ghia Vert
'61 Baja Build
Grant Reiling Premium Member
Samba Slow-Change Artist

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: ConcreteAce's '51 build Reply with quote

[quote="ConcreteAce"]Well after being derailed on the fuse block, I decided to tackle cleaning the interior. I forgot to take a before picture.

I pulled the seats, rubber mats, and folded the carpet back and taped it to the tunnel, then I scrubbed everything down. I got it as clean as I could. The pans are pitted from water sitting under the seats, I wire brushed it that treated it with a rust converter. Even with being pitted they still seem strong I am 250lbs and I have stepped right on the pitted areas and they have held. Luckily there are no pin holes, so I think with the added rust converter I should be good for a very long time. I still have a lot to clean

the before:

and after:

"Its a slow process for sure! but they are looking a bit better. "

If that isn't the understatement of the day, I can't say what is. Rolling Eyes
You've made tremendous improvements - stay the course; and my sincere compliments! Nice work! Exclamation Cool
I can barely wait to see the results.
Grant
Arrow
What we imagine in our minds becomes our world. That’s just one of many things I have learned from water."
Misaru Emoto
The Hidden Messages in Water
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: ConcreteAce's '51 build Reply with quote

Looking good! Reminds me of my dad's build. His was April '51. One of the very first DBK cars. Wink

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
ConcreteAce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: ConcreteAce's '51 build Reply with quote

Splitdog wrote:
Looking good! Reminds me of my dad's build. His was April '51. One of the very first DBK cars. Wink

I wish mine would look that clean!

'51 Deluxe
'61 Build
'68 Turbo Diesel Baja
'64 Ghia Vert
'61 Baja Build
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

Jump to: