Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The flu
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: The flu Reply with quote

I only had the flu shot once. I then got the flu a couple days later. Coincidence? Think

I've never gotten a flu shot since. Maybe I will if/when I reach senior citizen age.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
19super73
Hardcore Stock Nazi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: The flu Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
Teeroy wrote:
I've never had the flu vaccine (now my doc said not to get it because of my messed up immune system) and have only gotten the flu once maybe twice in my 50 plus years of life. My wifes grandad is in a rest home, every one there has been vaccinated yet 12 residents ended up in the hospital last week with the flu anyway, not sure this one is much help!

yup this happens oh so much, but isant reported . clueless like zeen with thier head in the sand and taking everything thats thrown at them are probably killing more then the crap shots. this stuff is causing oh so many problems.and gets covered up , there is a lot of $$ in pushing drugs. and even more problems from it. please go get a double dose just to be sure...better make that 10 shots so it will be totally 100% effective.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

You must love Jenni McCarthy.
1973 Super Beetle
1973 Westfalia [url=https://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-31892.png]Click to view image[/URL]
1974 412 Variant
1975 La Grande Bug
1984 Vanagon
Mid Engine Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: The flu Reply with quote

Like many others, no flu shot for me. Back when I was a kid, my parents always made me get one. And guess what? I always got sick. I am going to say its been at least 20 years since I got a flu shot. The worst "cold" I get is a sore throat. And its been years since I have even had that happen. My other half always gets a flu shot (she is a pharmacy tech) and she gets sick a few times a year, normally right after the shot. I get how the shot is supposed to work and the science behind it but I still wont get one.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679467
Bones 53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: The flu Reply with quote

Never had one and never will. I don't get the flu. I do wish however that I had a product I could sell to 300 million people every year - now that's a money maker.
Rodmullet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: The flu Reply with quote

Ok, I'll wade in here, even though I know better.

It is your choice whether to get vaccinated or not....especially for influenza...it is going to go around anyway, so your choice not to get vaccinated doesn't effect me.

You cannot get the flu from the injectable vaccination...there is no live virus in the "shot"...so, if you get the flu a few days after the shot, it's just bad luck, as you were exposed before the vaccinations took full effect (two weeks)

You may have an immune response in the few days following a flu shot...sort of mimics the flu but is generally very mild. I have experienced this myself.

I have gotten the flu both with and without being vaccinated. Generally has been milder when I had the shot.

Congratulations to those that have never had the flu...lucky you....hope you never get it, it can be quite debilitating, and dangerous.

I have had fevers of well over 104, and heard voices....and missed 10 days of work...

So, for me, I'll take whatever protection the vaccination may offer.

Rod
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: The flu Reply with quote

Influenza 1918 on PBS last night said 685,000 Americans died from it & 5,000,000,000+ worldwide! The Nervous Nelly's that don't want to vaccinate their kids can just Home School them!
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: The flu Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
Influenza 1918 on PBS last night said 685,000 Americans died from it & 5,000,000,000+ worldwide! The Nervous Nelly's that don't want to vaccinate their kids can just Home School them!

Wikipedia states that 500,000,000 were infected world wide but 50-100 million died as a result of it.

This was also during WWI when a lot of the population was malnourished due to the war, & there was lots of people moving around & in close proximity in less than sanitary conditions due to the war effort(s).

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: The flu Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
Influenza 1918 on PBS last night said 685,000 Americans died from it & 5,000,000,000+ worldwide!

Not 5 billion people total back then !

Yes, more soldiers died from flu than from bullets/artillery/explosions/gas
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: The flu Reply with quote

Ok, wading in too deep, but...

Foregoing vaccinations is a personal choice, but that choice has consequences for society at large. As vaccination rates drop, more of the general population will be exposed to the flu.

This is why they are mandatory for attending public schools. Also, there is a threshold where there can be a runaway pandemic starting from a very small minority who contract it from lack of vaccinations.

That said, despite our models and improved predictions, this is still guesswork. The process involves estimating which strains will be prevalent a year or two in the future, then breeding vaccinations for a set (maybe five) of those "most likely to infect." These guesses have turned out to be rather poor lately, diminishing the value of the vaccinations. I'm not sure why we can't do better.

Also, this year, judging from a local non-scientific sample, the flu isn't the big sickness this winter, it's a sore throat that takes a week or more to resolve. Usually they should be done in three days, but tomorrow will be a week for me, and for many around me (not just those at work). The drug store aisle for cold remedies is just about tapped out!

Last edited by KTPhil on Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: The flu Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Mike Fisher wrote:
Influenza 1918 on PBS last night said 685,000 Americans died from it & 5,000,000,000+ worldwide!

Not 5 billion people total back then !

Yes, more soldiers died from flu than from bullets/artillery/explosions/gas

Between Wikipedia, smithsonian and the history channel there’s a bunch of info available, here’s an interesting statistic. The Spanish flu pandemic of 1918-19 killed more people in one year that the bubonic plague, but which one is better known?
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: The flu Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
The drug store aisle for cold remedies is just about tapped out!

Yeah, I hate to break it to you, the aisles are empty due to the local meth-heads doing the whole shake-&-bake thing in the bathroom. Twisted Evil

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Bones 53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: The flu Reply with quote

Take a look at this little 5 minute video. Very informative on how your immune system really works and the facts about that 1918 flu epidemic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atshtoL6KbY
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: The flu Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
KTPhil wrote:

Yeah, I hate to break it to you, the aisles are empty due to the local meth-heads doing the whole shake-&-bake thing in the bathroom. Twisted Evil

Not any more in California. You need to show ID, and they scan it, before they take the goods from behind the counter.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: The flu Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:
KTPhil wrote:

Not any more in California. You need to show ID, and they scan it, before they take the goods from behind the counter.

Same law has been in place here for about 10 years. You gotta show ID to buy OTC cough medicine, alcohol, & spray paint but it's discriminatory to require it for voting. Rolling Eyes

Karly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:22 am    Post subject: Re: The flu Reply with quote

I had the flu about 7 years ago (swine flu).. I couldn't get out of bed for weeks. I was sick from work for about a month with heart problems from it (fortunately resolved!) and that was even with antiviral medication.

Been getting the flu shot every year since! I've had colds etc and they are nothing compared to the flu!
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: The flu Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Same law has been in place here for about 10 years. You gotta show ID to buy OTC cough medicine, alcohol, & spray paint but it's discriminatory to require it for voting. Rolling Eyes

I'm assuming that eye roll is for the first 3 things, otherwise:
https://www.aclu.org/other/oppose-voter-id-legislation-fact-sheet

I agree with alcohol myself.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: The flu Reply with quote

Most of those that make up the stats provided by the ACLU are probably illegal, too young to need the IDs, or for other reasons, trying not to be ID'd.

ID is required for almost everything else, here are a few examples...
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/24-things-that-require-a-photo-id/article/2534254

Almost all of the programs that are put in place to help the poorest require ID...
https://affordablehousingonline.com/housing-authority/North-Carolina/Raleigh-Housing-Authority/NC002

Checking into a hotel/motel...
https://www.superpages.com/em/what-documents-do-you-need-at-hotel-check-in/

And many, many more.

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: The flu Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Most of those that make up the stats provided by the ACLU are probably illegal, too young to need the IDs, or for other reasons, trying not to be ID'd.

No.
Too young to need ids? They are trying to vote.
They are trying not to be ID'd but they are showing up to vote? Huh?
Anyway, it explains the reasons it's an issue in the link I posted and why a specific photo ID is a problem.

TDCTDI wrote:
ID is required for almost everything else, here are a few examples...
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/24-things-that-require-a-photo-id/article/2534254

Some of those make sense to require id, a TON of those don't apply to poor people who can't afford those things. Buy a car? I guess they mean a new car, yeah right, lots of people can't do that. Some of those are technically true if you get asked and some are not true at all or maybe it's state by state? I don't remember showing id to adopt my dogs. Buy a cell phone? Not necessarily.

TDCTDI wrote:
Checking into a hotel/motel...
https://www.superpages.com/em/what-documents-do-you-need-at-hotel-check-in/

A decent hotel, otherwise not true.
I've stayed at hotels with cash only.

From that link:
Quote:
Requiring an ID for check-in is a way to make sure that only registered, paid guests are admitted to hotel rooms

ROTFLMAO, they don't do that for all guests.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: The flu Reply with quote

Having had someone cast a vote using my registration, & then go through having to use my ID to prove that I was the one that should have cast that vote, I firmly believe, to avoid this sort of "confusion" Rolling Eyes , that you should have to produce ID to prove you are the person registered to cast that vote.

c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: The flu Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Having had someone cast a vote using my registration, & then go through having to use my ID to prove that I was the one that should have cast that vote, I firmly believe, to avoid this sort of "confusion" Rolling Eyes , that you should have to produce ID to prove you are the person registered to cast that vote.

Not second guessing you at all and it must have been a frustrating experience... but I think that's a pretty rare occurrence. Was it intentional fraud or was it human error? When I vote, they ask my name and address, no id. I sign next to my name and address on the list and then i get a ballot to complete.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: