Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

99 Eurovan transmission fluid leak
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
volkswagenrehab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: 99 Eurovan transmission fluid leak Reply with quote

ok maybe ill try that to get a better look.
volkswagenrehab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 99 Eurovan transmission fluid leak Reply with quote

Ok so replaced my transmission cooler seals and it didn’t make any difference. I also replaced the seal on the sensor, but still getting a leak coming from the top.
soissisc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: 99 Eurovan transmission fluid leak Reply with quote

Does anyone have access to VW part numbers? If I go to europartsSD website and look at the numbers for the cooler o ring, they call out a VW # for the upper o ring (096409069A) and a Mercedes # number for the lower o ring (089409069). I wonder why. I am looking to replace the stock cooler and o rings.

I already replaced the o rings and still have leaking on top of the transmission. So I figure change out the cooler and o rings and see if that elicits a cure. I just want to make sure I am doing the right thing regarding the o rings.

68 Westy
92 Jetta (oh it is retired)
99 Eurovan
05 NBC
06 Audi A3
72 Westy (I am going to fix it up)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
soissisc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: 99 Eurovan transmission fluid leak Reply with quote

OK, a quick trip to Jim Ellis VW parts turns this up. So they are different sizes for top and bottom.

Not sure why EuropartsSD calls out a Mercedes # for the bottom. If I search up that lower one on FCP euro it spits out that mercedes part number also.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

68 Westy
99 Eurovan
05 NBC
06 Audi A3
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
soissisc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 99 Eurovan transmission fluid leak Reply with quote

OK, so getting back to this leak from above. I may have located the cause of the leak. I was checking out the area, to see how in the heck I change out this cooler and noticed this. (This picture is the top of the cooler, near central on the engine side of the cooler.)

Maybe I was carless the last time I had the engine out or something? It looks like maybe something pinched the cooler or was dropped on it? Who knows?

Well, time to get on with swapping out the cooler.

68 Westy
99 Eurovan
05 NBC
06 Audi A3
EuroTec
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 99 Eurovan transmission fluid leak Reply with quote

You should install an outboard cooler. Those coolers do indeed go bad and leak.
soissisc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: 99 Eurovan transmission fluid leak Reply with quote

Eurotec - Yes I have considered the external cooler, but that is not the route I am going today. I was just going to replace with stock and see if I can get this leak to go away. (GLS, original transmission)

That all being said, I did the swap this morning and it was every bit the PITA that I thought it would be. It is just a hard place to reach and trying to get hoses off etc. adds to the frustration. But I got it done. Now, I will monitor to see if I am still losing fluid.

I tell you, upon guiding the new cooler in position and bolting down / reattaching the hoses / repositioning the hose clamps - I wished that I had just went the external cooler route.

See it way down in there?

Looking at the old cooler, I am not sure that it was really leaking from where I show in the above picture. But the whole top of the trans is full of trans fluid so hopefully this fixes it.

68 Westy
99 Eurovan
05 NBC
06 Audi A3
soissisc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: 99 Eurovan transmission fluid leak Reply with quote

OK, did I install it backwards?!? HOLY BLEEP?

68 Westy
99 Eurovan
05 NBC
06 Audi A3
soissisc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 99 Eurovan transmission fluid leak Reply with quote

OK, ugh, looking back at pictures, the cooler is installed in reverse orientation from where it was before. Does this matter?

Looking at the parts catalog, it shows it how I have it installed. See below. How is yours installed?

68 Westy
99 Eurovan
05 NBC
06 Audi A3
soissisc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2023 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 99 Eurovan transmission fluid leak Reply with quote

Well,

There does not seem to be any ill affect from the cooler mounting orientation so far. However, I am still getting trans fluid leakage drips under the van when parked after driving. (It could be residual fluid on the top of the trans running down, I would think that would have slowed down by now) I assume it is from the top, as I get drips from the low point on the diff and from pendulum mount bump.

Where else can fluid be leaking from above? There is the breather and one plug up there, that is it I believe. I should have taken more pictures.

One last ditch thing I will need to check is trans fluid getting into the diff and over filling that and being blown out the diff vent. That seems far fetched but totally possible.

Here is an old pic of the top of the transmission.

68 Westy
99 Eurovan
05 NBC
06 Audi A3
EuroTec
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2023 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 99 Eurovan transmission fluid leak Reply with quote

Suggestion.

Spray some engine degreaser all over everything with trans fluid, let it set then hose it off.

Let it dry then go for a short drive. Look for the fresh oil and start at the top.
soissisc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2023 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 99 Eurovan transmission fluid leak Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestion. That sounds like a logical approach. I will keep the thread updated.

68 Westy
99 Eurovan
05 NBC
06 Audi A3
93gsxturbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2023 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 99 Eurovan transmission fluid leak Reply with quote

Any luck with your leak?
soissisc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: 99 Eurovan transmission fluid leak Reply with quote

It has slowed tremendously. I believe that it is no longer leaking from above. I still get a couple of drips when parked from between the engine and bell housing. That is a concern for another day. I am kicking around the idea of a new TC and new pump. We just ticked over 240K miles on this trans.

I am going to try to source and replace the coolant hoses to the heat exchanger, and re orient the heat exchanger correctly. The one hose was showing it's age for sure.

68 Westy
99 Eurovan
05 NBC
06 Audi A3
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: