Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Solex H44 and intake manifold vacuum
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SBL74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:54 pm    Post subject: Solex H44 and intake manifold vacuum Reply with quote

I have the dual carb Solex H44 set up on my Thing and a Bus with a type 1 engine. Both use the 009 distributer and mechanical advance. I noticed that one car has the intake manifold vacuum outlets plugged, while the other car has them connected together. Is there a preference?

steve
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Solex H44 and intake manifold vacuum Reply with quote

The one connected together act as a balance tube. Sometimes it helps tune dual singles, some people have more luck tuning without (plugged).

You can experiment to see what gives you the best idle. Dual singles like to idle on 2 cylinders and the balance tube can sometimes smooth it out.
SBL74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Solex H44 and intake manifold vacuum Reply with quote

Can you explain the "2 cylinder" comment? I think I have heard that somewhere before.

Interestingly, the connection between the two intakes is via 2 rubber hoses that connect to some sort of brass double male coupler. Any idea what that is?

steve
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Solex H44 and intake manifold vacuum Reply with quote

Because the engine fires 1-4-3-2, #2 robs the fuel charge before #1 can "fill up" so to speak and number 4 robs the charge from #3 causing the engine to kinda lope. With dual 2 barrel carbs this is not an issue because each cylinder has a dedicated carb barrel to draw from. The single barrel feeding two cylinders that follow each other in the firing order can cause the second cylinder to get a leaner charge. At idle, that can cause the 2nd cylinder to get such a weak charge, it causes a miss.

Hope that make sense. A balance tube helps crossover charging helping the idle be more even but some people have better luck with no tube. Either way when syncing carbs, the balance tube needs to be clamped shut or plugged.

The two hoses connected together with a double make barb is probably because they had two short hoses and one double male barb Laughing
SBL74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Solex H44 and intake manifold vacuum Reply with quote

Well, it turns out that the brass coupling was a "T" with the third end going through the firewall and up under the car to the brake system. Is this some sort of "brake assist" ?

I guess I am stuck with the 2 carbs being connected, huh?
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Solex H44 and intake manifold vacuum Reply with quote

Well if you want vacuum assisted brakes, yeah you gotta hook em up somehow, they need manifold vacuum.
SBL74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Solex H44 and intake manifold vacuum Reply with quote

For the dual Solex Kadron setup, on a 1600 1973 engine, should the 2 fuel lines coming from the "T" to the carbs be of approximately equal length? I have one carb that has 2 feet of line, and the other is 4 inches! That seems less than optimal.

steve
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Solex H44 and intake manifold vacuum Reply with quote

fuel lines being 4" different won't affect anything.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Solex H44 and intake manifold vacuum Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
Because the engine fires 1-4-3-2, #2 robs the fuel charge before #1 can "fill up" so to speak and number 4 robs the charge from #3 causing the engine to kinda lope. With dual 2 barrel carbs this is not an issue because each cylinder has a dedicated carb barrel to draw from. The single barrel feeding two cylinders that follow each other in the firing order can cause the second cylinder to get a leaner charge. At idle, that can cause the 2nd cylinder to get such a weak charge, it causes a miss.

Hope that make sense. A balance tube helps crossover charging helping the idle be more even but some people have better luck with no tube. Either way when syncing carbs, the balance tube needs to be clamped shut or plugged.

The two hoses connected together with a double make barb is probably because they had two short hoses and one double male barb Laughing

If your CAM is so inclined....stockish cams idle fine.
SBL74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Solex H44 and intake manifold vacuum Reply with quote

John,

They differ by 20 inches. One line is 24 inches long from the T to the carb, the other line is 4 inches long from the T to the carb. It makes me wonder whether there could be a steal syndrome.

steve
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Solex H44 and intake manifold vacuum Reply with quote

Mine were like that for a long time. No problems.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Solex H44 and intake manifold vacuum Reply with quote

That line length difference won't matter on this engine.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Solex H44 and intake manifold vacuum Reply with quote

SBL74 wrote:
For the dual Solex Kadron setup, on a 1600 1973 engine, should the 2 fuel lines coming from the "T" to the carbs be of approximately equal length? I have one carb that has 2 feet of line, and the other is 4 inches! That seems less than optimal.

steve

The lenght will not make a big difference unless you have 6 more feet on one as opposed to the other one. The thing to worry about is having the fuel pressure up too high. I use a Holley fuel regulator, I think it was model 12-804. Set it for 2psi. Made a huge difference in how my carb functioned!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: